Should the Hook Have Stayed? Or is the Hand Welcome Back?

edited October 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
In episode 2 of ToMI, "Siege of Spinner Cay", we were all horribly shocked to see Guybrush's hand sliced off by one Morgan LeFlay. But then Guybrush acquired a hook and used that as a replacement. For most of us, it was a welcome change to the character of Guybrush Threepwood, and in a way, it made him feel more piratey. Then of course, in episode 5, "Rise of the Pirate God", Guybrush acquired a new hand, along with his new body (yet, somehow he still retained his memories). Guybrush seemed elated to have his hand back, but the question is, did the audience feel the same way?

Disregarding whether or not Telltale would have been allowed to leave Guybrush with only one hand at the end of ToMI, what would you have preferred? A hand on the end of Guybrush's arm, or a hook?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I liked the hook for this season as it was different and daring, but I'm glad the hand is back as you can achieve much more with a hand than a hook. I think there's only so many puzzles you can do with a hook, so if it was still there for the next season a few of the puzzles might seem repetitive IMO.
  • edited October 2010
    A pegleg?? Think of the looks of the animations with Guybrush running! :eek:
  • edited October 2010
    Mermaid wrote: »
    A pegleg?? Think of the looks of the animations with Guybrush running! :eek:

Or dancing!

His hook worked for one season/game. Not more. It would become old very fast and it would be too easy to use as a puzzle element. If there was a door you couldn't get through, you would try and use the hook, because it worked in tales. If it does work, it's an unnecessary and lazy puzzle, it it doesn't work, that would be inconcistant with ToMI and they'd have to have a pretty good excuse for it not to work. So it would a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.
  • edited October 2010
    Even weird is that Hemlock McGee is still running and walking even though he has both peglegs in place of his feet due to the Marquis De Singe's actions! :p
  • edited October 2010
    For personal reasons, I'm thrilled he got his hand back. It's too bad it's not an object that can swap out for a few puzzles now and then, because it adds some variety, but also, as someone said above it can get stale easily. Though I did LOVE the chest puzzle "what have I got now that I didnt have then... no... it *cant* be _that_ easy!"
  • edited October 2010
    I liked the hook, but it is good that Guybrush got his hand back. It would be cool to see the hand in Guybrush's inventory for the next game, though, as a souvenir of the hook's past, and, of course, an item which will always remind him of Morgan. He doesn't know she is alive, after all!
  • edited October 2010
    Who's Guybrush?
  • edited October 2010
    I personally liked the hook, but I could understand why they had him get a new hand.

Honestly, was I the only one who though Guybrush looked a bit bummed after the pleased "Hey, my hand is back" moment? It was like he realized he didn't have the hook anymore after the fact.
  • edited October 2010
    I liked the hook. Appropriate for a mighty pirate, with a great story behind it that he could tell for the rest of his life (and you know he would).

I do see the point about not wanting it to get tiresome for puzzles, but if that was Telltale's reasoning, I think they sold themselves short -- I'm sure they could have thought of lots of interesting things to do with the hook besides the obvious lock-picking.
  • edited October 2010
    zhebrica wrote: »
    I do see the point about not wanting it to get tiresome for puzzles, but if that was Telltale's reasoning, I think they sold themselves short -- I'm sure they could have thought of lots of interesting things to do with the hook besides the obvious lock-picking.

Everything he could do with the hook he could do with another item _not_ attached to his body so he would have to FIND them, thus making 2 puzzles.

Using it to slide down ropes --- Rubber Chicken with a pulley in the middle
    Using it to catch fish --- Fishing pole
    Using it to pick locks --- Lock Pick Set/Thieves Toolkit/etc
    Using it as a weapon to threaten someone --- cutlass

Any puzzle it can be used on is inherently 1-step shorter, it makes perfect sense to dispose of it.
  • edited October 2010
    You could equally well argue that every time he picks up an item with his actual hands, there could have been a puzzle there where he needed another item to pick it up. Yet Guybrush having hands doesn't seem to have stopped any of the game designers from including puzzles where acquiring an item in plain sight was harder than just grabbing it. There's no limit except the designer's imagination.
  • edited October 2010
    i’d like guybrush to be more piratey.
    it would be refreshing to see him achieve something at least one time by just threatening someone.
  • edited October 2010
    I liked the hook, thought it was an excellent part of the gameplay, but I'm still glad Guybrush has his hand back. I don't know why, exactly... maybe I just can't imagine Guybrush Threepwood, Might Pirate, with a hook hand. It's weird.

I can't even say that the hook would hinder the gameplay - it could certainly bring new and innovative puzzles - but a hand is just more... versatile, in the long run. Even if it would make an awesome story.
  • edited October 2010
    Reaper Lyn wrote: »
    Even if it would make an awesome story.

You don't think that's gonna stop him from making a story out of it do you?

"See this hand? This isnt my first hand! I got this hand only *insert time* ago! you see what happened was I was out fighting my arch enemy LeChuck when...."

Edit:
    it would be refreshing to see him achieve something at least one time by just threatening someone.

He did, when he was in the manatee and he "lost" the contest and starts threatening the others and starts getting all PoL on them! (gotta be one of the most awesome scenes in the game!)
  • edited October 2010
    The hook was fun and a good twist, but no Guybrush is just meant to have 2 hands.
    I know he wants to be a real pirate, but he will always be one of those not 100% real pirate. :)
  • edited October 2010
    Can't we do like the TF2 Engineer? Removable hand! :D
  • edited October 2010
    You know, actually a peg leg might not have been a bad idea. I can think of a dozen different ways a peg leg would add to his character.
  • edited October 2010
    ChingisKan wrote: »
    You know, actually a peg leg might not have been a bad idea. I can think of a dozen different ways a peg leg would add to his character.

Pegleg screams bad karma. Remember the Man of Low Moral Fiber? Or the Inn Keeper? Or... Uh... Who else?
  • edited October 2010
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    Pegleg screams bad karma. Remember the Man of Low Moral Fiber? Or the Inn Keeper? Or... Uh... Who else?

Or how about Hemlock McGee? He had both peglegs, but he can still walk.

Oh, and don't forget about Effete LaFoot or Bugeye.
  • edited October 2010
    I. Cheese had one too, but his butt was glued to that chair in the Scumm Bar...
  • edited October 2010

lol, Point taken.

Maybe there's a voodoo "curse of the peg leg" Guybrush could dispel in the future? :D
  • edited October 2010
    ChingisKan wrote: »
    lol, Point taken.

Maybe there's a voodoo "curse of the peg leg" Guybrush could dispel in the future? :D

The Pox of LePeggy.
  • edited October 2010
    The hook was fine for a while, it was an interesting change and Guybrush looks like more piratey but I prefer him with his two hands.
  • edited October 2010
    Not sure I have an opinion, but I know I'll miss the hook in future seasons when I come upon a locked item!
  • edited October 2010
    Cantatus wrote: »
    Not sure I have an opinion, but I know I'll miss the hook in future seasons when I come upon a locked item!

Do I see a future joke coming for a future episode? I think I do!
  • edited October 2010
    hook
  • edited October 2010
    Papa Pishu wrote: »
    [I believe the ]hook[should have stayed, do to it's usefulness, pirate essence, and because it is the beginning of the word "hooker," which is also a very nice thing.]

Fix'd
  • edited October 2010
    Papa Pishu wrote: »
    [I believe the ]hook[should have stayed, due to it's usefulness, pirate essence, and because it is the beginning of the word "hooker," which is also a very nice thing.]
    Fix'd

Fix'd even more. I couldn't let that error stand.

Also: I see we now have a dead tie between the top two options. Very nice. Perhaps I should have made a closing date so that we'd actually have a winner. Oh well.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.