Eric Stoltz Marty McFly Footage

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Wow, that is special. I hope the new DVD's contain some scenes where you actually hear him talk. Thanks for posting this!
  • edited October 2010
    Man, Back to the Future fans have been waiting forever for a glimpse of that. It's surreal to see Stoltz and the other actors in recognizable moments from the final film. And it's still unthinkable to me that Zemeckis was somehow able to get the studio to sign off on sacrificing five entire weeks of filming and starting from scratch. Such are the benefits of having Spielberg as your production's guardian angel I guess.
  • edited October 2010
    I can see why they decided to go with Michael, but I have to say the two of them look allot alike. Why Stoltz didn't have the "life preserver" though is beyond me.
  • edited October 2010
    Alan hijacked my thread and put it on the blog :)

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs
  • edited October 2010
    I'm still feeling so sad for Eric.

They didn't even give him some role or something.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Gale has stated that he'd never release the Stoltz footage as long as Stoltz is a working actor. I wonder why that has changed, and I at least hope that they've got Eric Stoltz' express permission to use the footage on the Blu Ray disc...

...he almost looks a little similar to MJF in that first scene! ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Gale has stated that he'd never release the Stoltz footage as long as Stoltz is a working actor. I wonder why that has changed, and I at least hope that they've got Eric Stoltz' express permission to use the footage on the Blu Ray disc...

...he almost looks a little similar to MJF in that first scene!

First time I saw Eric in a movie I thought "Damn, he kinda looks like Micheal J Fox !"

Imagine my surprise when I learned he was the original Marty ^^ .
  • edited October 2010
    This was new to me. I think the studio also realised that Stoltz was totally wrong for the movie so they probably wasn't that hard to persuade. Stoltz is a really good actor though, Mask and the remake of The Fly 2 are great movies.

@Tjibbbe: Wow, another fan of Alfred J. Kwack. The best child series ever!
  • edited October 2010
    Snapshot from the alternate universe :D.

Fringe-216-Peter_BTTF.jpg
  • edited October 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    I'm still feeling so sad for Eric.

They didn't even give him some role or something.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that Stoltz has made peace with it and really is not upset by the whole episode at all.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm actually surprised at how many people did not know Eric Stoltz was the original Marty..It's on every version of the dvd in the documentaries, and Bob Gale even talks about it in the commentary. Michael J. Fox was filming Family Ties and working on Teen Wolf at the time of the first shooting. He was actually the first choice for Marty, but his schedule wouldn't allow it.
  • edited October 2010
    Did you guys know THIS? Melora Hardin, Jan Levinson on the US version of The Office was originally cast as Marty's girlfriend Jennifer Parker. When Eric Stoltz was re-cast, the Back to the Future filmmakers had to let her go because she was too tall to play opposite Michael J. Fox.
    edited October 2010
    Yes. :D :D :D

What I'd still like to know is whether one of Doc's/Lloyd walking characteristics, the bent knee and crooked walk, was invented to serve the same purpose - or if it was already there when he shot the scenes with Eric.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    Did you guys know THIS?

I did NOT know that!

According to IMDB, Hardin is only an inch taller than MJF. That's harsh! Ah well... no guy in real life would ever have a slightly taller girlfriend, right? I love Hollywood. :)

This got me interested in how tall all the actors are... here are my findings in case anyone else wants to know. Please note that these are from the Internet, so they must be true.
    • Eric Stoltz (original Marty): 5' 10"
    • Melora Hardin (original Jennifer): 5' 5.5"
    • Michael J Fox (the Marty we know and love): 5' 4.5"
    • Claudia Wells (Jennifer, BTTF part I): 5' 4"
    • Elisabeth Shue (Jennifer, BTTF part II & III): 5' 2"

EDIT: I think a visual representation is warranted here.

Attachment not found.
  • edited October 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »

This got me interested in how tall all the actors are... here are my findings in case anyone else wants to know. Please note that these are from the Internet, so they must be true.
    • Eric Stoltz (original Marty): 5' 10"
    • Melora Hardin (original Jennifer): 5' 5.5"
    • Michael J Fox (the Marty we know and love): 5' 4.5"
    • Claudia Wells (Jennifer, BTTF part I): 5' 4"
    • Elisabeth Shue (Jennifer, BTTF part II & III): 5' 2"

EDIT: I think a visual representation is warranted here.

Attachment not found.

Woah, that is awesome! Did you just put that together? So rad!

I need someone to help me with charts, graphs, venn diagrams, etc, you know, for my own nefarious purposes? Can I count on you? :)
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    I need someone to help me with charts, graphs, venn diagrams, etc, you know, for my own nefarious purposes? Can I count on you? :)

Telltale won't fork out for an Excel license? :p
  • edited October 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Telltale won't fork out for an Excel license? :p

Ha! The Excel license isn't the problem. It's knowing how to use it. :::Cough::I have no idea how:::Cough::: :)

I'll sign you up for my chart creation needs mailing list STAT! kthx!
  • edited October 2010
    Did you guys know THIS? Melora Hardin, Jan Levinson on the US version of The Office was originally cast as Marty's girlfriend Jennifer Parker. When Eric Stoltz was re-cast, the Back to the Future filmmakers had to let her go because she was too tall to play opposite Michael J. Fox.

So that makes three people cast as Jennifer total. Didn't know that.
    edited October 2010
    Bob Gale: Well, what it took really was the guy that did our documentaries, Laurent Bouzereau, he’s a big Back to the Future junkie as well. He kept saying, “Come on, you’ve got to release something.” I kept saying, “I don't know.” Bob [Zemeckis] said, “No, no, we don’t want to do that. It might hurt Eric.” Finally what Laurent did is he went ahead and he put together a rough cut of what you’ve seen now. He said, “This is what I want to do. This isn’t going to do harm to Eric. This is just going to be really interesting to the fans.” I looked at it and I said, “Yeah, okay, I see it. You’re right.” Bob Zemeckis saw it and he said, “Yeah, I’ve got no problem with it. Go ahead and do it.” You have Laurent to thank for that.

Nope... no asking the actor for this one. :(
  • edited October 2010
    A pity they didn't ask him first, given they're the ones that screwed him over a bit in the first place.

That said, i'm *very* glad they got MJF in. From what I can see of the Stoltz footage, MJF plays it so much better. Stoltz seemed to fit in a bit too well in the '50s there (with the leather jacket etc.) and the gawping when he's outside looked too serious, instead of having an aura of stupid (yet surprisingly carefree) wonder! Maybe they originally weren't writing Marty as being quite so stupid as he appears in the finished film?
    edited October 2010
    I've got a critical eye towards this, it's true, but Stoltz wasn't "screwed over" when MJF took what was formerly his role. It's the actor's business, and for the three months, he was of course paid in full. He gets paid for his work, everything else, including an appearance in the film, is completely optional. It's a pity for him that the latter didn't work out, but nothing wrong on the Bobs' side, really.

The same thing happens every day in the movie business, not only to actors, but to composers also. Alan Silvestri, famed composer of the BTTF triology, had originally composed the soundtrack to "Pirates of the Carribbean", his name was even on the early movie posters, then he was replaced by Klaus Badelt for some reason. There are far less obvious reasons than in Stoltz' case, and sometimes you think it was a plain wrong decision (if you've ever heard Gabriel Yared's original score for "Troy", never used but oh so epic), but it's always the director's or studio's right to do so. Same thing with movie poster art... Drew Struzan's (famed painter of the BTTF posters ;) ) latest book, telling the history of his posters, reads like a cascade of rejection. It's a brutal business, but it has its rules...
  • edited October 2010
    I am totally sickened by the Eric Stoltz footage on the BluRay release. The only glimpse you see is about 2 minutes & most of that is in the clip floating around the web.

None of the video clips has Stoltz clip has ANY verbal talking & there is hardly any video footage other then about 5-6 seconds of about 4 different scenes. Most the stuff is pictures.

Thanks alot Universal for getting my damn hopes up. Regardless, this is a awesome BluRay set. :-D
  • edited October 2010
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    A pity they didn't ask him first, given they're the ones that screwed him over a bit in the first place.

That said, i'm *very* glad they got MJF in. From what I can see of the Stoltz footage, MJF plays it so much better. Stoltz seemed to fit in a bit too well in the '50s there (with the leather jacket etc.) and the gawping when he's outside looked too serious, instead of having an aura of stupid (yet surprisingly carefree) wonder! Maybe they originally weren't writing Marty as being quite so stupid as he appears in the finished film?

Maybe stolts character was rewrote into george mcflys character ie a bit too serious and a bit stupid so george would be pretty different from marty mcfly, that's My 2 cents.
  • edited October 2010
    Michael J. Fox is Marty Mcfly...he was always the first choice for the role, and he was born to play this character. Eric Stoltz came into the role only after scheduling conflicts prohibited MJF from being able to do it (Family Ties and Teen Wolf)..It didn't work out, he wasn't right for the role, it happens all the time in movies. I agree with Vainamoinen, he's totally right. Stoltz was never "screwed over"...
  • edited October 2010
    Apparently John Lithgow was first choice for the doc..
  • edited October 2010
    Michael J. Fox is Marty Mcfly...he was always the first choice for the role, and he was born to play this character. Eric Stoltz came into the role only after scheduling conflicts prohibited MJF from being able to do it (Family Ties and Teen Wolf)..It didn't work out, he wasn't right for the role, it happens all the time in movies. I agree with Vainamoinen, he's totally right. Stoltz was never "screwed over"...

Correct... MJF was the the first choice.

Also, I believe the reason there is no audio of Stoltz is because of legal reasons. If they use his audio, they will have to pay him as "an actor in the movie" including all royalties.... This contract expires in 10 years.... apparently they have ALOT of his footage still but we wont see (or hear) it for another 10 years
  • edited October 2010
    I am glad they replaced him. The dude brought serious back into seriousness.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.