BttF attracting Telltale newbies?

All right, Back to the Future is a big license. (Well, maybe "big" isn't the right word, since this game will be the first new BttF thing in, what, 17 years? But everybody's heard of BttF, and it's definitely bigger than every license Telltale's dealt with before.) As the game draws closer to release, you can expect it to get a lot of attention from people previously unfamiliar with Telltale (I've heard a good bit of discussion on other boards already).

This isn't an inherently bad thing, of course. (How can more people being exposed to Telltale possibly be bad?) At the same time, though, we may have to deal with a lot of people expecting a new BttF game to be Grand Theft Auto: Hill Valley and saying stuff like "A point and click adventure? That's lame!"

Do you think that, closer to the game's release, we should make a sort of Telltale FAQ to give any newcomers the might register a quick rundown of what the company's about? We already have a FAQ specifically for this game, and that's great, but I'm wondering if it won't be enough.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I'm sure Telltale will put up a FAQ on the Back to the Future site, as they have with past games. I don't think newcomers necessarily want Telltale's life history, just details on what the game is.
  • edited October 2010
    BTTF seems to be attracting those who want a GTA-styled game, while JP seems to be atrracting a lot of angry Jurassic Park fans who don't think Telltale will be able to hande this. Which of course, will be proven wrong ;)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Well, RAnthony, didn't you yourself register mainly because of the BTTF games? ;)

These are my safest bets about new posters who came here just because of the Back to the Future games:

ADAMATION
    Amb1089
    Billman
    BOXMAN8745
    Caffein Rage
    CarolinaJACKSON
    Chwbka
    Daniel~
    Doctor Who 88
    darkthunder
    encse
    evil rex
    FutureGirl
    FutureGirl88
    Jmac92
    kenkraly2004
    Master of Aeons
    mcfly88
    StevenMcFlyJr
    triforce08
    Vivek

By the way, welcome all. ;)

So, it's safe to assume that your theory is correct. With every new press announcement concerning the BTTF games, waves of new posters will enter the forums. About 25% never heard of Telltale Games, and about 30% will ask if BTTF will be like GTA. :D
  • edited October 2010
    In all honesty, I came here because of the BTTF announcement. (Read about it over on BTTF.com). Before that I had never heard of TellTale games. For that matter, I had never heard of "episodic gaming" like TT releases. So this is all new to me. My PC is a 2001 built desk-top that is slower than all get-out, so I am really hoping this comes out for the 360. Based on the first press-releases I thought it was coming out for "all platforms," but now see the moderator stressing that the platforms haven't been announced yet.

All that to say, I'm along for the ride and will pick up Episode 1 as quick as I can after release date. I do understand that it won't be GTA, nor do I think it needs to be. I've got the in-progress GTA: Hill Valley mod for that. I love the character designs so far, just anxiously waiting for more info to be released.
  • edited October 2010
    Gamers have become so damaged in the past ten or so years that they expect all of their games to have some kind of action and explosions in them to be in any way passable. I fully expect Back To The Future to be amazing, but honestly, it could be the make or break game for Telltale to get more publicity and interest from "their sort".
  • edited October 2010
    Haha, thought my name would be amongst that list too, seeing as prior to the announcement, I was only a LONG term lurker and only had one prior post on the boards. The excitement of BttF has got me posting, to be true.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    BTTF seems to be attracting those who want a GTA-styled game, while JP seems to be atrracting a lot of angry Jurassic Park fans who don't think Telltale will be able to hande this. Which of course, will be proven wrong ;)

It's interesting with the GTA guys. That's not really the casual gamer clientele, but not the hardcore gaming guys also. Their hunger for exploration could be satisfied with TTGs adventures, somehow, but their lust for senseless violence won't be. Maybe with Sam & Max?? :D
  • edited October 2010
    The only reason they do want a "GTA" game is obvious.

It's just about DRIVING IT around, time travelling the way you want and all.

I don't think the time spent on creating such a playable area would be worth getting rid of an epic story and details only an adventure game can give...

Though I hope we can have a few action sequences ... Not driving the car AT ALL would be like, shooting themselves in the feet.
  • edited October 2010
    Personally, I find the GTA games entertaining but I get really bored if I just drive around and don't do the missions. And the missions get really long and repetitive, too. I don't know, when I was younger I played it all day, now I don't play it anymore because if find it terribly boring.

An age thing it must be...
  • edited October 2010
    Personally, I find the GTA games entertaining but I get really bored if I just drive around and don't do the missions. And the missions get really long and repetitive, too. I don't know, when I was younger I played it all day, now I don't play it anymore because if find it terribly boring.

I feel the same with GTA, except with SA. I could finish that one, and free roam was fun with friends.
  • edited October 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Though I hope we can have a few action sequences ... Not driving the car AT ALL would be like, shooting themselves in the feet.

I suppose they could include some sort of chase sequence where you have to avoid obstacles in order to reach 88mph and escape but to be honest I wouldn't be too upset if there was no actual driving to be done.

Glad it's not just me. When the original topdown GTA came out I spent hours and hours doing the missions - and that one was a bugger to complete because, if I remember rightly, you had to reach 1,000,000 points (or something equally ridiculous) before you could move on to the next city and you couldn't save in the middle of a city. With the modern GTAs I play the missions for a while and then once I get stuck on one just drive around seeing the sites and causing havoc to instigate a cop chase.
  • edited October 2010
    I suppose they could include some sort of chase sequence where you have to avoid obstacles in order to reach 88mph and escape but to be honest I wouldn't be too upset if there was no actual driving to be done.

Glad it's not just me. When the original topdown GTA came out I spent hours and hours doing the missions - and that one was a bugger to complete because, if I remember rightly, you had to reach 1,000,000 points (or something equally ridiculous) before you could move on to the next city and you couldn't save in the middle of a city. With the modern GTAs I play the missions for a while and then once I get stuck on one just drive around seeing the sites and causing havoc to instigate a cop chase.

Also had timed mission which usually ended in you exploding. Then you had to find the person to go onto the next city, and hope wasn't dead.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't want a GTA styled BTTF game. I just want one that ain't a cartoon, that's all. And I saw the Raptor on the PAX video, it looks really good. Hope the rest of the game has a similar amount of hard effort and detail put into it.

Regards,
  • edited October 2010
    ITS A WHAAAAT??! Point-and-click? Those that mean I click them and they die like Master Chief? TellTale, you have taken my hopes and swiftly snatched them.
  • edited October 2010
    Actually, Telltale isn't developing the game anymore. Now Sierra is.

(Evil laugh).
  • edited October 2010
    Darn you!!! After all Sierra put me though with the Ghostbusters game........

(evil laugh indeed)
  • edited October 2010
    Except Sierra was bought out by Activision.
  • edited October 2010
    Hmmm I have to admit i didnt join this site until hearing about the Back to the Future game that is coming out because Back to the Future is and always has been my all time favorite movie trilogy I'm familiar with the company and also the games they have produced and I can't say that I own any of their games but I have played them. I may like BTTF but I'm not going to make a screen name dedicated to the franchise i use the same screen name i always use for everything else which is also my gamertag on XBL and I like GTA but if they made the game anything close to that i would be pissed I mean yeah it will be cool to get in and out of the DeLorean which im sure they will do but if people are expecting GTA style gameplay they obviously arent true fans of the franchise and nee to be stabbed by midgets anyways thats all sorry for the babble but I agree with you 110% its ballaux.
  • edited October 2010
    Welcome Nosferwolf. But geez, learn to breathe once in a while... long run-on sentences break my brain :)
  • edited October 2010
    I am admittedly a BTTF fan who had never played any TT games before the announcement of the Back to the Future game.

Since I arrived here, though, I've been playing Sam & Max and loving it. It takes all kinds of ways to get a company's name out there, and owning some huge licenses definitely works, I guess.

BTW, I don't care if the BTTF game plays like GTA or Sam and Max or DuckTales or Mega Man or Fallout or StarCraft. Just as long as it doesn't involve Marty in a black sleeveless T-shirt, hula-hoop girls, bowling balls, glass-carrying guys, and the same awful music repeated over and over and over. Seriously, there has NEVER been a good BTTF game released, and this one stands an excellent chance of being not just good but GREAT!

Viva Telltale!
  • edited October 2010
    Vainomoimen ... you couldn't be more wrong. :-(

SAM & MAX being re-invented brought me to TellTale. I had NO IDEA it was revamped until we got a Wii last year & then I found out they made S&M for Wii as well as PC. Bought Season 2 for Wii & got S3 as a gift :-)

Anyways, my love of BttF has just INCREASED my love of TTG here. :-) So i hope that the BttF game is not a letdown.

(PS) Who cannot love this place? They even got rights for making the StrongBad games! TTG just rocks ... period!

http://www.backtothetrivia.com
  • edited October 2010
    I came here as soon as I heard they were developing the game. I don't think there is any shame in admiting that. :P
  • edited October 2010
    MantaScorp wrote: »
    marty in a black sleeveless t-shirt, hula-hoop girls, bowling balls, glass-carrying guys, and the same awful music repeated over and over and over. !
    sir that sounds like an amazing idea!
  • edited October 2010
    Definitely going to get Telltale noobs to try their games out as the new film box set is supposed to come with a code for a free download of the first episode.

Getting to see more of the classic BttF characters AND bringing adventure games back into the spotlight? BONUS.
  • edited October 2010
    Backies Unite! Lets spread the word! :D
  • edited October 2010
    I made a comment like this when the BTTF announcement was made:

My opinion is that BTTF and Jurassic Park will both bring lots of new people to Telltale. This is a GOOD thing for everyone involved. I think BTTF will be good, but even if I personally don't enjoy the game I want it to do well, because the better it does and the more people it brings to Telltale, the better the company does as a whole. And a strong Telltale means more Sam and Max, Tales of Monkey Island (hopefully), and games of that nature.

So welcome to any and all BTTF fans. You have discovered an amazing company that makes great games. They recognize what gamers like, and they listen to their fans and critics. And they are damn funny too.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, consider me one of the newbie posers. Hehehe.

I lurk though. I pretty much only know Sam & Max through that old cartoon they used to show back in the 90's (vague memories tho') but once I have some extra pocket change I'll d/l the games on the 360. Could stand to use a break from all the action-y games I've overdosed on lately.

But I'm totally looking forward to the BttF game mostly. Regardless of what platform I ultimately get it for, it'll be worth it, I'm sure.

*re-lurks*
  • edited October 2010
    I have never bought'n a telltale game yet sadly (almost did with Tales of Monkey) but I am buying BTTF for sure.
  • edited October 2010
    Newbies should check out Sam and Max, since you can get a couple free episodes here and here(second link only free through Halloween weekend: grab it while you can!).
  • edited October 2010
    Backies Unite! Lets spread the word! :D

I prefer "Fluxers" ;)
  • edited October 2010
    If i wouldnt have joined the "OMG, Telltale is so awesome!!!"-Club a long ago, i would right now.
  • edited October 2010
    Long ago? You joined a year after me! And I'm not all that ancient myself! =P
  • edited October 2010
    I think I should also direct any Telltale newcomers to the ongoing Poker Night sale (ends November 1st). You can get...

-All three Sam and Max seasons + Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People for $30
    -All three Sam and Max seasons (no Strong Bad) for $20
    -One Sam and Max/Strong Bad season for just $10.

Hope that helps people get acquainted with Telltale.
  • edited October 2010
    Long ago? You joined a year after me! And I'm not all that ancient myself! =P

lol, you're right, i joined in june last year :eek: my first order was tomi :eek::eek:

guess i have to go back in time and create my account right after the release of texas hold 'em :cool:
  • edited October 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    guess i have to go back in time and create my account right after the release of texas hold 'em :cool:

Actually the earliest accounts are all from October of 2006 (like mine) because if you had an account back when Texas Holdem and the Bone games came out (or even earlier in my case) those accounts were all closed down when Telltale went to this Vbulletin forum style they use now. That happened in October of 2006, so everyone who already had an account from the real beginning has a "join date" of October 06.

But I guess if you could travel back in time, you might as well tell Telltale to start using Vbulletin from the beginning!
  • edited October 2010
    You're totally right, I also am one of the guys that joined here because of the Back to the Future game. I initially became a fan of BttF because I saw a report on a TV station about a modification for GTA, it is called Back to the Future: Hill Valley,that is supposed to re-enact the movies. I pretty much liked playing with the time machine, so I went to buy the trilogy DVD set. Once I saw them, I decided Back to the Future to be my favourite movies. Short after I joined the team developing the mod. Once someone posted on our forums that "This is heavy: Telltale making episodic Back to the Future game" I went here to sign up to get informed about news about the game.

I'm actually looking forward to the game(s) and hope Telltale wont disappoint me ;). When I saw the graphics of the CSI game, my first thought was that I hoped that they do better graphics for the BttF game and when I even figured that they'd make it a cartoon look a like game I was a little disappointed. But now that I've seen the character models in the "Behind the Scenes" videos my opinion on this has changed.

Currently I am wondering if I should pre-purchase the game, but there's a question I have:
    How will I get the game(s)? Will I get it via a digital download by Telltale themselves, or even through Steam, or will I get a regular retail version on a disc, together with a neat looking case? I actually hope for a mix of both options, like it is with Valve's games: Buy the game safely on a disc, be able to play it even without an internet connection, or enter the serial of the game in Steam to get the up to date digital download.
  • edited October 2010
    Hello Mini-me...... Fancy seeing you here :P I'm also a member of the mod team. When i first heard of a new BTTF game I was like "oh f**k, they'll ruin it". Then I heard Bob Gale and Rob Zemekis were on board so my opinion immediately changed that this game will rock now that they have the original creators on the scene. The delorean looks great so far and I can't wait to see screenshots of their version of the iconic Court House Square. Maybe they'll use our models as reference XD
  • edited October 2010
    Mini-Me wrote: »
    Currently I am wondering if I should pre-purchase the game, but there's a question I have:
    How will I get the game(s)? Will I get it via a digital download by Telltale themselves, or even through Steam, or will I get a regular retail version on a disc, together with a neat looking case? I actually hope for a mix of both options, like it is with Valve's games: Buy the game safely on a disc, be able to play it even without an internet connection, or enter the serial of the game in Steam to get the up to date digital download.
    If you pre-purchase the game here, you will get the game on your My Games page, here. They will show up there as the games come out, and you will be emailed at the time of release of each episode. Telltale's digital distribution is generally nice about the installs, I've seen people go north of 20 installs and still be fine. There's a limit there, but it's more a "don't throw your download link on a file sharing site, guys. Email us if you need more installs"-type deal, and the DVD will probably have either no copy protection, or disc-based copy protection(all but one of their series have done this so far).

As for Steam, if you want it there you will have to buy it there. It's not there yet, but it's likely that pre-orders will show up on the Steam store before the first episode comes out.

Just to be completely clear, if you pre-order there, you will most likely not get:

-The DVD copy of the game after the series is finished(these take some time to be made, but that's because they're stuffed with extra behind-the-scenes features)
    -A copy of Puzzle Agent(though an analogous offer will probably show up for this one)
    -Access to the forum here that will include discussions and Q&As with developers and possibly voice actors/creators from the Back to the Future cast.

...Unless stated otherwise on the Steam Store page. Another aspect of buying from Steam so far has been a slightly later release than the Telltale Games website(usually a matter of a few hours). Telltale's games are also generally not patch-heavy(as in most don't need to be and aren't patched after release).
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the answer :).

Just before I read your answer I found the F.A.Q. and also the question and answer that answered mine:
    I heard I can get a free disc version of your games. How does that work?

If you buy a full season of games from Telltale's store, you have the option to get a Collector's DVD version at the end of the season for just the cost of shipping. Your order number serves as your coupon code to get this free disc.
    So now I'll pre-purchase :).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.