Who actually prefers originals over special editions

edited October 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
It's fun, refreshing, new signs of life for MI. Some of us want special editions of other Lucas Arts titles now...

I was playing Lechuck's Revenge a true Classic, though I don't care for it really, i started the special edition and I wanted to hang myself off the top of my desk from the ceiling fan...

Yeah, some of it is a little pretty but DAMN. Nothing worked for me, hearing Guybrush voice a MI 2 Guybrush in that graphic style, just didn't work for me. Largo's voice was unexpected but inappropriate...

The whole thing just felt FAKE and eekk..

Of course the talent involved is excellent, top of the line but the project itself...I rather play the original and leave something to the imagination.
That dialog just didn't work for me, I never been a huge fan of the first two games, love them, but they are heavily flawed in my eyes, and I love them for those flaws. I don't even think they're THAT funny but I still enjoy them.

The MI2 special edition demo was...:eek:

I think it's good Lucas Arts atleast made a effort this decade to listen to its fans but it just doesn't work for me. Leave the classics with the same feeling, lure, magic they once had. Adding these voices and new graphics really didn't work for me. It wasn't spice, sugar...:p

No disrepsect I love and admire the content written for Dominic and the rest of cast and crew but this remake, the original isn't theirs and it just...it didn't feel right. It was missing something.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Nah, I think the Special Editions were better. Considering they're the same games but with more content, there's nothing to dislike about them as far as I'm concerned. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Teeth wrote: »
    Nah, I think the Special Editions were better. Considering they're the same games but with more content, there's nothing to dislike about them as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Seconded.
  • edited October 2010
    Teeth wrote: »

I disliked the changes in lines though.
  • edited October 2010
    I disliked the changes in lines though.

What changes where in the first game, minus the stump joke(something I'd like to see)
  • edited October 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    What changes where in the first game, minus the stump joke(something I'd like to see)

I think the first was unchanged expet lines with money cos they couldn't get him to keep conting that didnt rly matter. Its the 2nd game that had lots of line changed that I didnt like but nothing to make it unplayble just bugs me a little still a great job they did.
  • edited October 2010
    The voicework is generally okay for the Special Editions, and the commentary for part two is excellent.

Overall though, yeah. I prefer the originals. That's not to say I hate the Special Editions, because I don't. It's a fun distraction, a cute coat of paint that gives me a reason to re-explore an old game. But I'll only really play this the Special Edition way once. The original art has a different feel to it, more "grounded". The Special Edition art is definitely affected by a sequel whose art style I never particularly cared for, and the animations are glide-y and feel unnatural in comparison to the originals. The small changes, while not detrimental in any way, are somewhat unwelcome.

I'm the sort that nearly always prefers the original to a remake, though, so don't mind me and my miserly ways.
  • edited October 2010
    I appreciate the whole special edition business but I'd never want to miss the original game they are based on. Nostalgic reasons, mainly.
  • edited October 2010
    I find the Special Edition of the first game not so good, mainly because of the rushed acting. However, the second one is very good and playing the original game with voices is just awesome.
  • edited October 2010
    For Secret, I prefer the Original. Because the Animations, lazy backgrounds, etc, the voices are great but since it was their first outing, there could be times with awkward pauses and such, especially with the console versions which were stuck on Mid Speed!!!

For Revenge, I prefer the Special Edition soo much, mainly for the interface, music and the backgrounds, considering the backgrounds were already painted and available for reference, it made sense they'd look better in HD. The Interface to me is the best MI interface ever, congrats to LucasArts on that, before that the Verb Coin was my fave, but the one used in LeChucks Revenge SE was just great. Music in MI2 was already utter brilliant, but here, the SE team did a great job of bringing it up to date, yeah a few cues are missing here and there, but the actual tracks as is, sound great and it feels like a lot more effort was put into the soundtrack this time compared to the first one.
  • edited October 2010
    I think overall I prefer the originals as it was that art, and music that helped me fall in love with the series.
    The specials are greatly appreciated though. Especially the Revenge one. To have the voices during classic play, the commentaries throughout the game, and the concept art as a bonus is really quite awesome.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2010
    I thought the special edition of Monkey 2 was great, and I had a lot of fun playing it through to see and hear all the new stuff, but I still prefer the original. As for Monkey 1, my preference of all the versions is the first "special edition" -- the VGA CD ROM version.
  • edited October 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I thought the special edition of Monkey 2 was great, and i had a lot of fun playing it through to see an hear all the new stuff, but I still prefer the original. As for Monkey 1, my preference of all the versions is the first "special edition" -- the VGA CD ROM version.
    ^^This
  • edited October 2010
    I think it's great they made the SEs and drew attention to the games, but I still prefer the originals.
  • edited October 2010
    I dislike the SEs because they require Pixel Shader 2.0! Why the heck do they need Pixel shader for a ruddy 2D non-isometric adventure game? It doesn't look like it's in 3D!

In other words, my GFX card can't run it, and I don't think it should have to.
  • edited October 2010
    ^^This

Sort of this: it wasn't so "special" I think except for the better music score and the item picture inventory, but that was certainly an improvement worth a second release.
  • edited October 2010
    I like the special editions, but that comes down to the fact that I wasn't old enough to play the games when they came out.
    And I only became a Monkey island fan this year, so the magic from the originals haven't had a chance to shine on me.

I am in to all that new tech, I need good visuals, sound and music.
  • edited October 2010
    I like the special editions, but that comes down to the fact that I wasn't old enough to play the games when they came out.
    And I only became a Monkey island fan this year, so the magic from the originals haven't had a chance to shine on me.

I am in to all that new tech, I need good visuals, sound and music.

I'm 23 years old and love visuals sound music too but I also love nostaligic games I did grow up with. I don't have any complaints about old pixel adventures but Monkey Island wasn't my series until I was 15 years old. I played and enjoyed the first two games mainly for their story. I didn't think they were very funny. I just played for the puzzles, story and character. By the time of the 3rd and 4th game the story got even better and the character developed a little further.

The ending to MI 4 derailed me a little but NO WHERE NEAR AS BAD as the ending to MI2.

I won't say that talent and creativity into into the first two games, esp since they are from a time before spoken dialogs, more rendered graphics. It's one of the good things about the first two games. These special editions still tell the story but there isn't the same charm.

I never really thought the first two games were that funny but as for story, characters, they are definitely worth it. They are some what witty but funny...I don't think I laughed out loud too many times.
  • edited October 2010
    The only thing that bugs me about MI2:SE is that the 'old'-game's music sounds awful! I wish they would put in options, I want to hear this or this version :P I'm talking about the MIDI engine.

But I must say I loved MI2:SE
  • edited October 2010
    jannar85 wrote: »
    The only thing that bugs me about MI2:SE is that the 'old'-game's music sounds awful! I wish they would put in options, I want to hear this or this version :P I'm talking about the MIDI engine.

But I must say I loved MI2:SE

I suppose it's highly possible that the Midi version no longer exists in the SE version, they've changed the game code to redo certain text, etc, the music you hear is actually pre-recorded MT32 music that's treated in the exact same way as the remastered music.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.