should telltale make another monkey island season

they should make it 2 dimensional. 3d just doesn't suit monkey island as well. it could be the same kind of graphics as puzzle agent
anyone else agree that 2d is better?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I want a direct sequil to ToMI done exactly the same (well minus I'd like the interface from S+M S3) I dont like the 2D graphics myself and am glad they moved away from it (not to say I'm not playing and enjoying SoMI SE...)
  • edited October 2010
    I sort of got used to 3D while playing TOMI, but I want a 2nd season with more detailed 3D graphics.

To answer the question in your thread's heading: Of course they should!
  • edited October 2010
    Is the topic title rhetorical? Hell yes they should make another season. I don't mind the 3D of ToMI much because it hearkens back to the stylized look of CMI (which I love), but the bigger issue for me is story. I can totally play a game with crap graphics if the story is amazing, which ToMI totally had in spades. If Telltale can keep the momentum that they had going, I think we'd be in for some truly awesome high seas adventure.
  • edited October 2010
    mgrant wrote: »
    Is the topic title rhetorical? Hell yes they should make another season.

My thoughts precisely. With a sequel hook ending that that? Oh hell yes.

I for one am quite fond of the 3D graphics, but that's not to say they couldn't use some work. I'd like to see something like the difference between Sam & Max seasons 1 and 2 (or even 2 to 3): One was very good, but two was even better. Graphically, and gameplay/story wise. And I'm confident Telltale can do that!
  • edited October 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    I want a direct sequil to ToMI done exactly the same (well minus I'd like the interface from S+M S3)[...]
    I agree with this.

If Telltale were to make a Season Two, then it would have to be a direct follow-on to Season One - it would need to be related to the first season as though it was the second half of the story arc that began in Season One. So, with this in mind, I would like the graphics to be exactly the same as they were in Season One, except maybe with some better lighting effects (ooh, and the coin interface from CoMI!).
  • edited October 2010
    Either this or SBCG4AP will get a second season. I'm hoping SBCG4AP but, This seems a wee bit more likely because of the fact that the chaps have had a very long absense.
  • edited October 2010
    Is the topic title rhetorical? Hell yes they should make another season. I don't mind the 3D of ToMI much because it hearkens back to the stylized look of CMI (which I love), but the bigger issue for me is story. I can totally play a game with crap graphics if the story is amazing, which ToMI totally had in spades. If Telltale can keep the momentum that they had in going, I think we'd be in for some truly awesome high seas adventure.

This. Tales totally exceeded all of my expectations, and that was down to the story, dialogue and characterizations. If they can keep that up, I don't care what engine or interface they use.
  • edited October 2010
    They have to and they will make a new season, maybe not in the near future but they will. :D
  • edited October 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I agree with this.

If Telltale were to make a Season Two, then it would have to be a direct follow-on to Season One - it would need to be related to the first season as though it was the second half of the story arc that began in Season One. So, with this in mind, I would like the graphics to be exactly the same as they were in Season One, except maybe with some better lighting effects (ooh, and the coin interface from CoMI!).

Me too.

In terms of graphics, i'm not a great fan of the visuals in ToMI as a whole but I think this was because of too much open-landscape and thus lack of detail. The screen is pretty busy in ep 3 onwards without a big change in graphics and the game looks infinitely better for it. ToMI didn't sell itself to me 100% last time, but if TTG knew where they were going and had their experiences of series 1 to help them along I think they could hit the ground running quite easily. It'd make a buck or two as well (even if it's nothing compared to Universal franchises).

Would LA grant the license? I'd guess they're more likely to now that they're unlikely to use it themselves for the next few years.
  • edited October 2010
    Absolutely!

Right after the next installment of Wallace & Gromit, please. :)

-The Gneech :cool:
  • edited October 2010
    Of course they should make a second season!
  • edited October 2010
    They have to and they will make a new season, maybe not in the near future but they will. :D

I was in the last year of my degree when they brought TOMI out, I played the first 2 parts when it was released, but I only just found the time to play the rest. I'm glad it took me so long to get round to it though, it’s given me something to look forward to. Who knows when the next one will be released?

It better not be too far into the future though. I was kind of hoping they would be making a new monkey island game really soon, if it did well enough. In fact, I thought by now we would at least hear some kind of news of a plan to make another.

I can't wait another 10 years lol! I know the new game doesn’t stand up to the original standards of the first two, but I still love every Monkey Island game regardless.
  • edited October 2010
    I've come to the conclusion recently that Tales Season II HAS to happen. Not only because the first season was Telltale's best overall season, but now that we know that LucasArts' outsourced franchises are not in danger, and that Tales brought more customers to Telltale than any other series so far, I honestly think they'd be stupid not to do another season.

However, I DON'T want them to develop it for WiiWare. WiiWare caused several scale-backs with the game (though maybe that's the way TT wanted it, so that they'd save time), but I think the more...simplistic approach with Tales in terms of visuals, and maybe even gameplay was done because the WiiWare could not handle the filesize. The soundtrack, fantastic as it was, was also scaled back and was composed in MIDI (for WiiWare), then run through synthesizers (I think) for PC to make it appear to be live. Without WiiWare, Telltale can bring back Michael Land, AND a reggae orchestra, and really make the music something special and more reminiscent of CMI. I'd sacrifice WiiWare development for say...PS3, a platform that Telltale seem to be working closely with these days, plus the first season ran well on PS3, did it not?

Give it a few years, let Telltale produce Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, get more experience in audience, marketing, game designing and visuals (though they're already fantastic as it is, S&M 305 proved that), and bring back Tales in 2011 (or roundabouts), and make it a masterpiece.

-Monkey
  • edited October 2010
    I've come to the conclusion recently that Tales Season II HAS to happen. Not only because the first season was Telltale's best overall season, but now that we know that LucasArts' outsourced franchises are not in danger, and that Tales brought more customers to Telltale than any other series so far, I honestly think they'd be stupid not to do another season.

However, I DON'T want them to develop it for WiiWare. WiiWare caused several scale-backs with the game (though maybe that's the way TT wanted it, so that they'd save time), but I think the more...simplistic approach with Tales in terms of visuals, and maybe even gameplay was done because the WiiWare could not handle the filesize. The soundtrack, fantastic as it was, was also scaled back and was composed in MIDI (for WiiWare), then run through synthesizers (I think) for PC to make it appear to be live. Without WiiWare, Telltale can bring back Michael Land, AND a reggae orchestra, and really make the music something special and more reminiscent of CMI. I'd sacrifice WiiWare development for say...PS3, a platform that Telltale seem to be working closely with these days, plus the first season ran well on PS3, did it not?

Give it a few years, let Telltale produce Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, get more experience in audience, marketing, game designing and visuals (though they're already fantastic as it is, S&M 305 proved that), and bring back Tales in 2011 (or roundabouts), and make it a masterpiece.

-Monkey

I will go with that, since the start of 2011 is only a few months away:D I'm all for a bigger budge verson, as long as it doesn't take too long. It's one of the only game's I play tbh. Most the games these days are either far too easy or combat games. Plus Monkey Island games are the only ones that I even found funny.
  • edited October 2010
    However, I DON'T want them to develop it for WiiWare. WiiWare caused several scale-backs with the game (though maybe that's the way TT wanted it, so that they'd save time), but I think the more...simplistic approach with Tales in terms of visuals, and maybe even gameplay was done because the WiiWare could not handle the filesize. The soundtrack, fantastic as it was, was also scaled back and was composed in MIDI (for WiiWare), then run through synthesizers (I think) for PC to make it appear to be live. Without WiiWare, Telltale can bring back Michael Land, AND a reggae orchestra, and really make the music something special and more reminiscent of CMI.

This, this, oh god, this. See also SBCG4AP, which was FULL of gltiches because of the Wiiware development.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, I have read from Sabre of Wikipedia that "There may well be another sequel/season in due course (but either LEC or TTG has announced no such thing), but there aren't going to be any more episodes added to this run." :(
  • edited October 2010
    Well, they have the Back to the Future and Jurassic Park games on their plates atm, that's not an indication that we won't get a new season of ToMI in the future.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, they have the Back to the Future and Jurassic Park games on their plates atm, that's not an indication that we won't get a new season of ToMI in the future.

This is why it wont be soon, imo. As I said above I am like 85% sure there will be a ToMI S2 (unless LA gets stupid like they have in the past) but I think we wont see it untill 2013 or so.

I *think* someone on here said that the first epp of BTTF will be released in Dec (though I might be wrong) with 5 epps, that makes Dec - Jan - Feb - March - april. then, assuming the more-or-less standard 6-month development for their games, JP will be released in Oct (2011) and run Oct - Nov - Dec - Jan - Feb. Assuming another 6 months of development, that means the next series will begin on Aug 2012 and run aug -sept -oct -nov -dec.

People are also screaming for S2 of W+G or SBCGFAP, which, if either would made, would be the "3rd game" mentioned above, bringing ToMI out 6 months later in July 2013. (And I have this sinking suspicion that TTG will be getting more licenses by then)
  • edited October 2010

Really, I thought I was done but...

Tales was awesome on the wii, it sounded and worked amazing, first off, telltale could just easily do the music for PC, then cut it down for the wii, second I found no graphical problems on the wii, while I found tons on my PC which can play games like TF2. I found no problems whatsoever, while people like to complain, seriously the only glitch I ever found besides the whole repeating lines thing with the home menu(which has happened in all of telltales wii titles) was a wierd glitch where guybrush is invisible in one portion of Chapter 5, which I think was just a bad screw up with telltale and not the wii itself. Why do people complain, I have found nothing wrong with it. It shoulden't lose the wiiware port just because people like to complain.Plus I dont have a PS3 if this happens
  • edited November 2010
    Aye! Unbedingt!

I love this game and to me it's a masterpiece what Telltale Games made of it: Story, graphic and character design are brilliant.
  • edited November 2010
    Story, graphic and character design are brilliant.

Hm, well, story, animation and character design for sure. I'm still not too fond of the graphics. :D
  • edited November 2010
    YES :) Yes they should.
  • edited November 2010
    It would make my year if they made another one..... I had just as much fun talking about MI here as I did playing the games.....

I really hope they do it and I hope its sooner than later...
  • edited November 2010
    Definitely joining the 'yes' side when it comes to making a new game. Personally I'd like to echo those who'd prefer a more strongly stylised 2D COMI style game but similarly if the story and puzzles are good who cares! Now if they could just do something with Grim Fandango...
  • edited November 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    It would make my year if they made another one..... I had just as much fun talking about MI here as I did playing the games.....

I really hope they do it and I hope its sooner than later...

Same here. Withdrawals will probably begin soon otherwise.

But, in all seriousness, I completely agree. The forums were half of what made the whole experience great - the discussion and speculation in between episodes just made each episode release that much more special because there was an excitement shared within a community, rather just having your own personal excitement.
  • edited November 2010
    Unfortunately I missed the forum experience of ToMI, but it just adds one more thing to look forward to come season 2. ^.^
  • edited November 2010
    Unfortunately I missed the forum experience of ToMI, but it just adds one more thing to look forward to come season 2. ^.^

Same here as I decided to get it on Wii first. I would love to have been part of it though.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes!!! Yes!! Yes!!! You know you want it!!! Yes!
  • edited November 2010
    They'll have to make another season but only if doodo starts the petition thread, with two possible answers: Yes!!!!, and Yes!!!!!

:D
  • edited November 2010
    I want a new season, but I want them to implement a better control scheme :) The 3D graphics can stay.
  • edited November 2010
    I want a new season, but I want them to implement a better control scheme :) The 3D graphics can stay.

I think I agree. Maybe not the player control, because I didn't mind that, but more-so the inventory. It would be nice if item combination could be made a little simpler. I mean, it's no big problem or anything, but it would be a time-saver if you could just click one item onto another item. And a time-saving interface is a good interface. Also, if there was one part of the Escape interface that I really liked, it was how you could jump to the map screen with the 'o', and I'd love to have that in Tales.
  • edited November 2010
    That's the second clearest answer i've ever give :D

Of course... YES !!! They should !
  • edited November 2010
    What kind of question is that???
  • edited November 2010
    I don't mind 3D graphics, it's a mature technology now, capable of different styles and not just the Grim Fandango blockheads from the past millennia.

3D's main benefit is flexibility, you can make animations with mesh manipulation and automation where 2D would require set of animation cells for every action. Also in a modern 2D game you'd expect multiplane parallax scrolling, which effectively multiplies the needed work several-folds. 2D for a modern game means a *lot* of work.

For a large monolithic projects like eg. The Whispered World or Blade Runner (even though that's 13 years old already!) , it's a viable and good method, but for episodic games not so much I think.
  • edited November 2010
    I think if I take into account all the fan interaction and all the creativity and laughs we all had that was born because of it ToMI may be my favorite of the bunch because I can not play those games without thinking of many of you guys.... It really was a tight little community we had going.
  • edited November 2010
    No, I thought ToMI was the worst series telltale has ever made. It was littered with bugs and didn't feel faithful to the original series.

Just IMO.
  • edited November 2010
    Ninja wrote: »
    No, I thought ToMI was the worst series telltale has ever made. It was littered with bugs and didn't feel faithful to the original series.

Just IMO.

Wow, I think that may actually be the first time that I've read those words from a non-troll.

Also, just wondering, by 'original series', are you referring to 1, 2, 3 and 4, or just 1 & 2?
  • edited November 2010
    I don't get the "littered with bugs" part, because from what I've played so far, ToMI is the most polished title they've made yet.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah I didnt experience any game breaking bugs when I played.... I realize there were some, like Guybrush being locked up forever bug... but It didn't effect me.
  • edited November 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Yeah I didnt experience any game breaking bugs when I played.... I realize there were some, like Guybrush being locked up forever bug... but It didn't effect me.

There was the fun one with giving LeCuck 2 golden idols and he fights invislbe pirates. But that glitched rules!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.