A thank you to Telltale

I was a big fan of all the original Monkey Island games (along with most LucasArts, Sierra, etc. adventure games).

Fast-forward 15 years, and I'm a 32 year old father of two. I just finished Tales from Monkey Island with my 5 year old son.

The experience was amazing for him, and for me through him. His enjoyment of the content was through the roof. I'm so very hopeful you decide to make further installments of the Monkey Island games. I would also be over the moon if you remade Escape From Monkey Island using the TellTale tools and released it on the PS3.

If a new Monkey Island never comes out, I will be sad but eternally grateful for the enjoyment I had with my son playing this game. It's an experience neither of us will ever forget.

All the best from BC, Canada.

Jordan + Evan.

Comments

• MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited October 2010
    Awesome, Jordan! (and Evan!)
    Stories like these are what keeps me wanting to make games like this!
  • edited October 2010
    Hehe... Canada.

TTG ROCKS! :D
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think a Escape remake would be easy to market. Not every one hates Escape. Lots of people loved Escape. Why would TTG remake it, before they remade CMI?

I don't see how they could justify remaking Escape as opposed to remaking CMI. There really isn't much to make it more worthy of a remake than CMI is worthy of one, to be honest. But the guys who worked on Tales, some of them were involved with Escape.

Still from a marketing perspective I don't see a need for a remake or special edition of Escape.

I'm not sure how to market it, and I don't think it's level headed for the fan base. I don't think you could please every one.
  • edited October 2010
    great story, Jordan. MI isn't exactly a kids game, but I think it is great that it can appeal to different audiences.

I see absolutely no reason to remake Curse of Monkey Island, least of all in 3D. Curse I think is by far the best-looking game of the four orignal games, and like many 2D games, it ages slower than today's 3D games. If they were going to do something with it, a HD version for example, some improved animation and (of course) a better resolution would be great, but I don't see why the beautiful artwork should be redone.

I wouldn't mind a remake of Escape though as it's pretty rough around the edges and being a 3D game it seems to have aged a lot over the years. But I never felt it was a bad game like some other people here thinks.

Most of all I would like just a new season of Tales, because then we get a fresh story and a fresh perspective.
    doodo! wrote: »
    I don't think a Escape remake would be easy to market. Not every one hates Escape. Lots of people loved Escape. Why would TTG remake it, before they remade CMI?

I don't see how they could justify remaking Escape as opposed to remaking CMI. There really isn't much to make it more worthy of a remake than CMI is worthy of one, to be honest. But the guys who worked on Tales, some of them were involved with Escape.

Still from a marketing perspective I don't see a need for a remake or special edition of Escape.

I'm not sure how to market it, and I don't think it's level headed for the fan base. I don't think you could please every one.
  • edited October 2010
    Doodo!

See, I'm different in regards to this whole idea. I am actually one of the EfMI-lovers; I rate the game almost as highly as the other four. In face, I'd probably rate it on-par with Secret. However, I do realize that the game has some very obvious flaws that really do detract from the overall experience. There's the clunky control system which I really don't think anyone liked, and there's also the issue with the character models. For sure, the 3D character models were reasonably good for their time (acceptable by today's standard). But really, they are beginning to look very dated, and they do look out of place against the rest of the game's environment which looked pretty great, in my opinion.

Now, let's compare this to Curse. CoMI had, of course, 2D graphics. They have a very cartoon-y look, and heck, they're pretty much timeless. They're almost as impressive today as they were 12 years ago (in the eyes of many of us loyal fans). In my opinion, they aren't in any real need for any sort of graphical update, and neither is the game's backgrounds and environment. Artistically and graphically, the game holds up. Also, the interface is magnificent. It's convenient, but it isn't too restrictive. And it's so simple to use, unlike Escape's which really did get frustrating at times.

So, seeing as how the controls and graphics/art are near-perfect even today, there isn't exactly much need for a remake of CoMI anytime soon. Especially seeing as how graphical updates are one of the main reasons for updating or remaking a game. Escape on the other hand, looks quite dated (as far as character models go), so this is one thing that needs fixing where Curse doesn't. There's more room for improvement in Escape. Curse - 2, Escape - 0.

Also, with Escape, I feel that there could be something done to make the more grueling puzzles a little more bearable. I personally hated the whole twiddling puzzle, as well as the milk bottle puzzle, and I did get sick of Monkey Kombat after a while (though I did enjoy it at the beginning). I think that there are certainly steps that could be taken to improve these puzzles (perhaps even making them skippable and replaced with cutscenes). Though, when I think back to Curse, I struggle to think of a puzzle that I actually disliked. Curse - 3, Escape - 0.

These are just things, problems both big and small, that can be changed in order to make Escape a much better game. Cutting away the fat, if you like, in order to help Escape reach its full potential. EfMI is a good game, no doubt about it, but there is no denying that it could be significantly better than it is in its existing form. And I feel that it is in more need of a remake than Curse.
  • edited October 2010
    Can you imagine the size of the wish list if they remade Escape? It would just do more harm than good to promise anyone a full remake or SE of Escape. The game already boils over the fan base like a pot of water over a stove. Why would any one in the right mind want to go playing around with it?

Games 1 and 2, even with the small changes ,cause enough fuss as it is. Remaking the 3rd or 4th game would be very intense. Can you imagine?

Also, I really don't see why LA would green light TTG to remake their game, sale it, and fix all the problems and screw ups they're responsible for...

Where would that put the original 3 and 4?
  • edited October 2010
    Can you imagine the size of the wish list if they remade Escape?

Yeah, but it would be essentially the same result if they remade Curse. All I'm saying is that Escape warrants an update/remake more than CoMI.
    The game already boils over the fan base like a pot of water over a stove. Why would any one in the right mind want to go playing around with it?

LucasArts played around with Secret and Revenge, and I think that the results were pretty good, to be honest.
    Games 1 and 2, even with the small changes ,cause enough fuss as it is. Remaking the 3rd or 4th game would be very intense. Can you imagine?

I can't actually picture the fuss being as big as it was for the first two (given the remakes of 3&4 were to be of the same quality and as well executed as the SE's of the first two games). There would be more fuss over the first two games, because they're more widely considered as 'classics', whereas 3 & 4 were met with mixed opinions and are generally just considered 'really good games'. With 1 & 2, it wasn't just the games getting a facelift and revamp - it was people's memories and cherished nostalgia that was given a facelift.

This wouldn't be the case (as much) with 3 & 4.
  • edited October 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Yeah, but it would be essentially the same result if they remade Curse. All I'm saying is that Escape warrants an update/remake more than CoMI.

LucasArts played around with Secret and Revenge, and I think that the results were pretty good, to be honest.

Yeah, but COMI, Secret, Revenge, were very successful games. Escape was the least successful in the series. By posting in this forum, it's easy to see has the most complaints, wish listing going on.

It's not hard to take classics like Secret and Revenge and please almost every one with clear graphics, voices, updated music. The little things they changed actually upset fans.

With a EMI remake it would be a different story all together. It would just give fan boys a reason to complain and argue to the point where people lost interest in the project all together. :p
  • edited October 2010
    digression wrote: »
    great story, Jordan. MI isn't exactly a kids game, but I think it is great that it can appeal to different audiences.

Its only not a kids game now because the people who played the original games are now 30 and still playing it! so I reckon this game has an older audience than most games. But I think its the type of game that can appeal to any age.
  • edited October 2010
    I thought a remake of Escape from Monkey Island may be a bit easier due to the fact it's already 3d and could conceivably be rescripted using the new engine. I'd recon a lot of the assets would be able to come across too, who knows.

Gonna get started on the Secret I and II PS3 remakes on the weekend, I think. Yay!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.