No Biff?!?

I'm so pumped about this game, I'm gonna pre-order asap! I was just curious with all the behind the scenes videos and information why we haven't heard anything about Biff Tannen, or even a distant Tannen relative. You can't have BTTF without Biff, lol. Is Biff in the game at all???

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Biff was mentioned a few times in that survey TT made a few months back, so it definatly seems they have plans to use him (Strickland was also mentioned a bit too). Weather they got Tom Wilson is another matter (that's my biggest question so far, besides who the composer is), but even if Tom doesn't return, it's likely Telltale will find the perfect replacement like they did with Marty. Telltale has a history of having great voice acting.

:)
  • edited October 2010
    They've only "mentioned" Marty and Doc(survey excluded). I suppose they're the only two characters we'll see, right? :D
  • edited October 2010
    There will be Biff. I can pretty much promise that. It's not Back to the Future without a member of the Tannen family.

Whether they get Tom Wilson or not is another story, however.
  • edited October 2010
    They've only "mentioned" Marty and Doc(survey excluded). I suppose they're the only two characters we'll see, right? :D

I do believe I saw Einstein (or possibly Copernicus) in one of the BTS clips.
  • edited October 2010
    Well like Marty says in the cartoon, "Is there a Tannen in every century?"
  • edited October 2010
    Biff has to be in the game, though. It just wouldn't be Back to the Future for me without Biff Tannen. I don't consider the animated series part of the overall story. I don't like the idea of thousands of different Tannen relatives, plus Clara, Jules and Verne in the mix, it's just too much. That's a funny line, reguardless,lol. I can see that the Telltale team are big fans of the trilogy, and if we leave it up to them, it's going to be awesome! I'm just surprised that we haven't heard anything about Biff yet..although there was that interview from Penny Arcade Expo where they said "we will probably be satisfied" about being called a butthead by the Biff Tannen =D
  • edited October 2010
    IMDB says that Tom Wilson is RUMORED to be doing the voice. I don't know how accurate IMDB tends to be some don't blame me if they're wrong. BUT.....

Absolutely fantastic if true. Wilson played the Tannens brilliantly and is one of my all-time favorite movie bad guys.
  • edited October 2010
    Wilson won't do it.

ANd IMDB is the less reliable source ever.
  • edited October 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Wilson won't do it.

Why?
  • edited October 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Wilson won't do it.

How would you know?
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, IMDB is really messed up here. I submitted that Lloyd was reprising his role as Doc almost a week ago and it hasn't been updated yet A.J. is already up there. So weird.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    Yeah, IMDB is really messed up here. I submitted that Lloyd was reprising his role as Doc almost a week ago and it hasn't been updated yet A.J. is already up there. So weird.

And their release date is still next week. ;)

Don't count Wilson out just now. There are many more BTTF game announcements to come - I expect November to be full of them, and Tom Wilson might be one among many. After all, he's the professional voice actor. ;)

His blog is awfully quiet. Last entry is from August, and up to that month, he had at least one entry every month in 2010 except June. Maybe he's preparing a very special announcement? Or could be that he just has nothing to tell at the moment... ;)
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not sure what the deal with Tom Wilson is.

He can basically attribute his fame to Back to the Future, but for about a decade now he's been trying to distance himself from BttF. He answers tons of youtube and blog comments except for those that deal with his role as Biff, and on his site he lists everything he's ever done except for Back to the Future.

He also has a song about how much he hates being asked questions about BttF.

I guess being typecast sucks, but if it weren't for Biff he wouldn't be where he is now. I hope he voices Biff in the game because it just isn't Back to the Future without Biff.
  • edited October 2010

Yeah I noticed IMDB put up A.J. today, which is strange. They also have James Tolkan credited as Mr. Strickland, lol. No Christopher Lloyd as Doc, though. IMDB doesn't appear to care much about upcoming video games. For that, they're about as reliable as Wikipedia.
  • edited October 2010
    Don't trust what you read on the internet. Seriously. Any information on IMDB about Back to the Future, other than what we've announced is there purely out of speculation. You didn't see the ZZ Top entry on the page did you? lol
  • edited October 2010
    Hahaha did it say they're playing with Marvin Berry and The Starlighters in the game??? lol.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah I noticed IMDB put up A.J. today, which is strange. They also have James Tolkan credited as Mr. Strickland, lol. No Christopher Lloyd as Doc, though. IMDB doesn't appear to care much about upcoming video games. For that, they're about as reliable as Wikipedia.
    ...What the fuck?

No, seriously, WHAT. THE. FUCK.

A backhanded slam on Wikipedia in comparison to what is essentially a movie-focused Wikipedia. More than that, the Wikipedia article for Back to the Future: The Game actually does have accurate voice actor data.
  • edited October 2010
    Anyone can post on Wikipedia...I can go right now and post an entire article stating that UFO's attacked the Empire State Building last week. Just because one honest person posted about Back to the Future doesn't give Wikipedia credibility.
  • edited October 2010
    I really hope there is a Michael Jackson reference in the game, though that would be awesome =D
  • edited October 2010
    It would suck to not have Thomas Wilson in the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'll need to get a voice double for him. I wonder if he'd even release his likeness to be used for the game? It's weird how must he has distanced himself from the franchise. He wasn't even on any of the new documentary that was on the blu-rays...
  • edited October 2010
    Anyone can post on Wikipedia...I can go right now and post an entire article stating that UFO's attacked the Empire State Building last week. Just because one honest person posted about Back to the Future doesn't give Wikipedia credibility.

Not exactly, Wikipedia's ruthless mods would take it down almost immediately.

I believe wikipedia is very reliable, but shouldn't be used for school or work purposes...
  • edited October 2010

Wikipedia has editors who are pretty strict and is probably more credible than other sites on the web. You can tell if something has been posted without sources. I'd imagine IMDB has the same level of editing as TV Tropes.
    edited October 2010
    slickie wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the deal with Tom Wilson is.

He can basically attribute his fame to Back to the Future, but for about a decade now he's been trying to distance himself from BttF. He answers tons of youtube and blog comments except for those that deal with his role as Biff, and on his site he lists everything he's ever done except for Back to the Future.

He also has a song about how much he hates being asked questions about BttF.

The song is not actually all about BTTF questions, but about the questions he gets asked over and over, which are not all related to BTTF.

I can see how he somehow distances himself from the Biff role (and why), but there is really no hate attributed to it. This video supposedly shows his work as an artist, and he speaks rather nicely about his work on Back to the future and how he thinks that he's part of pop culture because of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHQDkyoWMs

(BTTF from 0:55 minutes).

Don't trust what you read on the internet. Seriously. Any information on IMDB about Back to the Future, other than what we've announced is there purely out of speculation. You didn't see the ZZ Top entry on the page did you? lol

Yeah. But I'm sure when you pay to upgrade to IMDB Professional, they suddenly get all the information right, including the release date and all voice actor information. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    His website (http://www.tomwilsonusa.com/ - FAQ section) seems to say why he distances himself from the series :

"... so I've decided not to participate in any sort of nostalgia in which I'm marginalized as a pop icon of yesteryear. I no longer support in any way an insurmountable archetype, and now exclusively pursue the things that interest me."

Of course, don't rule out anything until Telltale themselves do, but that indicates to me that it's extremely unlikely he'll be paticipating in the game. I really hope he does, but I can understand from what he said why perhaps he wouldn't want to.
  • edited October 2010
    His website (http://www.tomwilsonusa.com/ - FAQ section) seems to say why he distances himself from the series :

"... so I've decided not to participate in any sort of nostalgia in which I'm marginalized as a pop icon of yesteryear. I no longer support in any way an insurmountable archetype, and now exclusively pursue the things that interest me."
    That answer was specifically in response to signing memorabilia (presumably at cons and the like) and I assume it's also why he wasn't involved in the recent 25th anniversary activities. But, would he be willing to participate in something in which he's celebrated as a pop icon (i.e. this game)? That's the question.

The way I see it, there are only three possible reasons we haven't gotten any Biff info ("Biff-fo"?) yet:

1. Telltale doesn't feel that Biff is an important enough character (or Tom Wilson is a big enough actor) to sell the game on and draw people in.

2. We may not even see Biff himself in the first episode, instead encountering an entirely new Tannen character, and Telltale doesn't want to release this info yet (note how we haven't gotten any information at all on new locations/time periods or characters, except for Young Doc, which isn't technically a new character, just a different version of an existing one).

3. Telltale couldn't even get Tom Wilson's likeness rights, and the Tannen characters will look different in the game. If this is the case, I hope that Telltale would release this information soon, as disappointing as it would be, just so we have time to acclimate ourselves to a new look Tannen, before we see it in the game (or the trailer on December 2nd).
  • edited October 2010
    yeh but remember its after the bttf trilogy so why would he be in it. he was linked through the timelines in the trilogy he might not be linked at all in these, perhaps his character (biff) makes just a cameo in (1985) before the game begins like a flashback, hense they drew twin pines mall and docs workshop as we see in the making of videos. but i would'nt get ya hopes up.
  • edited October 2010
    Not exactly, Wikipedia's ruthless mods would take it down almost immediately.

I believe wikipedia is very reliable, but shouldn't be used for school or work purposes...

I agree, I didn't realize that they cracked down on random post on Wikipedia. Sorry about that, guys. I just don't understand..The only reason Tom Wilson is famous is because his performance as Biff Tannen, he was outstanding. That doesn't mean his fans neglect his other work. He has been on many, many cartoons as a voice actor. He is a regular on Spongebob Squarepants, he is really talented. This game is right up his alley..I personally think it would be a shame not to voice Biff one last time for the 25th anniversary of the film. People love it, I don't understand.
  • edited October 2010
    marty2015 wrote: »
    yeh but remember its after the bttf trilogy so why would he be in it. he was linked through the timelines in the trilogy he might not be linked at all in these, perhaps his character (biff) makes just a cameo in (1985) before the game begins like a flashback, hense they drew twin pines mall and docs workshop as we see in the making of videos. but i would'nt get ya hopes up.
    We already have two pieces of (admittedly circumstantial) evidence that Biff or another Tannen character or two will be in the game:
    Sinaz20 wrote:
    For us, it's all about Doc, Marty, Biff, Einstein and a DeLorean-- and the family-based drama they deal with throughout time in Hill Valley.
    From here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=346546&postcount=17

And
    IGN wrote:
    There is also a possibility that actors from the franchises will also lend their voices to the games. I asked if it would be possible to be called a "butthead" by the Biff Tannen. Bruner seemed to think there was a strong possibility I will be satisfied.
    From here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342997&postcount=110

Which is why it's so perplexing (and a bit worrying) that we haven't heard or seen one thing about Biff/Tom Wilson yet.
    edited October 2010
    Please note that the IGN article seriously misunderstood quite crucial things about this game (calling it a "pilot") - I would not trust it. However, there's no BTTF without Biff, that's for sure. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Well, they could always use archive footage dialogues if they can't get Wilson or a decent impersonator...
  • edited October 2010
    marty2015 wrote: »

That's Lone Pine Mall.
  • edited October 2010
    That's Lone Pine Mall.

ahh yeh my bad marty killed one of peabody's pine trees
  • edited October 2010
    I can see how he somehow distances himself from the Biff role (and why), but there is really no hate attributed to it. This video supposedly shows his work as an artist, and he speaks rather nicely about his work on Back to the future and how he thinks that he's part of pop culture because of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHQDkyoWMs

(BTTF from 0:55 minutes).
    Here's the trick to start at a specific time in a YouTube video(look at the end of the link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHQDkyoWMs#t=50s
    edited October 2010
    In fact, I know; the video, however, is quite worthy to be watched completely. As in: Tom Wilson as an ARTIST and NOT as Biff Tannen. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    I hope there's a hidden easter egg or trophie if you give stupid answers to biff, say 3 or more stupid answers to biff and biff says der hello mcfly (and biff hits his head while saying it ) and you get a trophie called der.. hello mcfly and you read through books to find out what a jigawatt is and you still don't know, ask the doc what the hell is a jigawatt and get the trophie called what the hell is jigawatt.

Just for a laugh.
  • edited October 2010
    ...Uh, yeah. That would be....um.

Okay, no, that wouldn't be very funny at all.
    edited October 2010
    One more idea: If Wilson's so opposed to being identified with "Biff", but does still love the role, he could do it incognito. If Telltale approached him about it, I imagine him saying: "Yeah, but PLEASE don't make a fuzz about it".

They'd never talk about his voice over work, never officially announce it in press releases to boost the sales, only to mention it once in the credits of the game. Somehow, that sounds like somthing Tom would do.

Or not - it's just an idea to toy with for you guys. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    One more idea: If Wilson's so opposed to being identified with "Biff", but does still love the role, he could do it incognito. If Telltale approached him about it, I imagine him saying: "Yeah, but PLEASE don't make a fuzz about it".

They'd never talk about his voice over work, never officially announce it in press releases to boost the sales, only to mention it once in the credits of the game. Somehow, that sounds like somthing Tom would do.
    It's a very interesting story, Future Boy.

I hope you're right.
  • edited October 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    It's a very interesting story, Future Boy.
    Leave Quantum Leap out of this :P

Actually, maybe an idea for a new game! Loved Quantum Leap!
  • edited October 2010
    also its from the beginning of the the third movie...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.