Consideration about your work

edited February 2007 in Sam & Max
Sam and max - hit on the road was one of most nice game of the world, and i'm so sorry for the suspend of Sam and Max - Freelance police.

Now you (telltale) decided to remake Sam And max, and this is a very nice idea.
congratulations for graphics and sounds (musics could be better), becouse these 2 ones are perfects, but i want to give you some suggests:

It's a strange and very owfoul idea to divide a game into seasons and season in epidosies. This infact causes the game shorter and divided in too much little parts, and the story will not be very nice.

Now you (telltale) have taken a commitment, and then the season 1 must be finished.
But for your future, you should give a revision of the game organization.

I think that will be better a very big adventure than 3000 little episodies.
Then i think that also translation in other languages will be necessaries.

Sorry for the bad english and good luck.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    If you release a product that is being financed by a third party in small chunks, the consistent revenue stream being generated keeps said party interested.
    Sure, they could have dragged development out and released one *big* game, but then they'd be subject to stringent performance milestones, meetings and other time-wasting corporate rubbish as GameTap made sure their investment was going somewhere.

Yes, Episodic Gaming is new and unproven. Coupled with Digital Distribution, it's unchartered territory and therefore is subject to the opinions of faceless blogging f**ktards who claim its just out to rape us (pardon my french) of our hard earned cash for little return.
    The collapse of the Triton Delivery Service and SiN: Episodes are examples of why it sucks (for the record, both took on too much and ran out of cash), but Telltale have done something neither Valve, Ritual nor anyone else have done and kept to their schedule without sacrificing quality. This could only be done by a) realising the limits of their timeframe and b) not promising the moon on a stick when they couldn't even offer New Jersey. They also aren't charging the cost of a student girls virginity on ebay for each episode, furthermore kicking the pimply bloggers in the nads.

Ok, soapbox moment over, so just think about it. If you don't want to buy each and every episode, don't. Just wait for the complete season on 1 shiny pressed CD/DVD in mid-May. After all, 6 episodes (each ~ 3 hours in length - a total of 18 hours) is better value than several full price games put together. For the record, I completed Tomb Raider:Legend in under 7 hours and Halo in under 9, both of which I paid just as much for as Season 1 of Sam & Max. Do the Math.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. People are definitely still getting used to this model, but a lot of the complaints we were hearing about episodic gaming before the series debuted have gone away now that people are actually able to experience it. If it's not your thing, that's cool... you can wait and buy the whole thing at once when it's done.

If you haven't seen our Sam & Max FAQ, you might be interested in these quotes:
    Why are you doing Sam & Max in episodes?

Episodes mean you get more Sam & Max with less waiting. More fun with shorter dry stretches in between. We all know what it's like to wait three or four (or five) years for a game to come out — no fun. Telltale's sending that model out of style.

Steve Purcell has always said one of the best things about Sam & Max is that they work in any format you throw at them. Just take a look at the crime-fighting duo's vast body of work. These guys have appeared in comics ranging from one-page gag strips to 40-page epics, half-hour Saturday morning cartoons, web-based flash animations, and of course, the age-old graphic adventure. The way we see it, the format doesn't change Sam & Max. Sam & Max change the format.

What if I don't want an episodic game?

We know episodic gaming isn't everyone's cup of tea. Like Lost fans who wait and buy the whole season on DVD, or comic book fans who only buy trade paperbacks, there are plenty of people out there who want their gaming in large doses. If you'd rather play the whole season at once, no problem. Of course, you'll have to wait until we've actually finished the whole season. And you'll have to cover your ears and run out of the room whenever your friends start talking about the great Sam & Max episode they just played.

I still think episodes are weird.

That's not a question, but okay. If episodes still seem weird to you, think about any website you visit on a regular basis. Really think about it. Homestar Runner, Happy Tree Friends? Red vs. Blue, Consolevania, Mega64? Penny Arcade, Diesel Sweeties, Dinosaur Comics, heck even the stuff they've got cooking at Valve? The Internet is a huge festival of episodic-ness. We've been at it for a year with Bone, and we're kicking it into overdrive with Sam & Max.
  • edited February 2007
    Now that I have experienced episodic games,I like it. I am a college student who hardly have time to play games even if I wanted to play games; I grow unintested in playing most types of game nowadays; I only play Castlevania, sims2, world of warcraft, and the occasional adventure game here and there.

As such, I find the epsodic nature of Sam and Max great. It isn't too fast like the release of marvel legends figures (yes, I collect toys,) nor too slow like Bone(sorry to use this as an example since I assume that with you guys aquiring the rights to Sam and Max, Bone has been left in the back burner.)

I find the format a way to keep a series going on a lot longer; usually an adventure game takes probably a few years to be made and a week or so to pass. After that, one doesn't want to play the game till a few years have passed.

Like ppl said before, adventure games have little replay value since the puzzles are never changing, thus making the game easier after beating it.

By having Sam and Max split in parts, I can play and pass the game whenever it is released and not being tempted to play the game till the next release, thus giving time to enjoy life and studying up on midterms and such.

For the most part, all the games I have listed usually take a good amount of time out of my schedule, making it difficult to get back to studying. I remember when I first got the latest DS castlevania game, I passed that non-stop during the first week of college from winter break.
  • edited February 2007
    I am sorry, I stopped taking you seriously after you said about how the music could improve d¬ ¬b (anybody know actually how to do the '¬ ¬' symbols?) Honestly all Telltale is trying to do is mix up the action and any improvements they think up during the series they can be put in the next ep.
  • edited February 2007
    Thing is that Sam and Max has never really been about a cohesive story. In fact, the less cohesive the stories get, the better. I like the episodic format because it allows great opportunity to run in totally different, totally crazy directions each and every episode. All Telltale needs to do now is move from quirky to insane. Hit the Road had you going to a place where various laws of perspective and gravity were violated with giddy exuberance, the world's largest ball of twine, a gator golf course and the estate of a rather short and unmusical country western star. Sam and Max are always at their best when they veer off into the surreal, but a surreal that's deeply connected to America, and I don't think Telltale has quite hit that spot yet. Their writing and characterizations are exactly right, though, so they're more than halfway there.

Err, I digressed, but the point remains; Sam and Max works in an episodic format. I'd just like to see Telltale take further advantage of it.

But of course, if Telltale had a dollar for every wish their fans had about what they should do, they'd be able to take daily champagne baths. And not the cheap stuff either. :D
  • edited February 2007
    I also want to speak FOR the episodic format - I think having many short games released over a long time period is GREAT! I really like the anticipation between episodes, and, like doom saber, I like the idea that the entire series would take me about half a year to finish, instead of the ~ 3 days it (and any other non-episodic game) would have taken if I got it all at once.
  • edited February 2007
    For me, I guess I really don't care how Telltale decides to handle their gaming format. I was just glad to have a 'Bone' game out at all regardless of how it was distributed as well as a new 'Sam & Max' one. I would've bought them whether they came out in episodic portions or full fledge seasons either way.
  • edited February 2007
    I love the episodic format.
  • edited February 2007
  • edited February 2007
    You do have to remember that one full season counts as ONE FULL GAME ;)
  • edited February 2007
    Oh yeah, let's try to be sort of hip for a moment!

Starting an episode, getting into the game, *dideldideldöh*, woh, what? wait! It's over already? I just felt fine in the game and now want to...argh, four weeks, this sucks!

Now where is that Shakespear book again?!
  • edited February 2007
    I like the episodes :) But but but... i would really love a full game (other than a compilation of episodes).

Adventures quite always were devided in parts (acts, chapters, islands, goblins style screens, etc), so episodic content should not hurt the thing.
    To feel more complete, it lacks mostly objects that are kept from one episode to another and especially objects earned by beating the previous "boss". Why ? because it gives a sense of reward, and that s what the brain craves for, reward. How to adapt to episodic ? Easy, just let Sam start with some of the objects necessary to finish the preceding episodes, even if they are not useful this time, they will be for the next episode. Sure objects will pile up in the inventory, but some not funny ones can be discarded, and that will give more combinations to try to get a zany result, and i love that.

So far, there s nothing like car space driving, fish mob boss, inflating a man like a baloon with gaz... the original material is full of that kind of things, i hope that after the first season you go crazy, for max's sake :)
  • edited February 2007
    BarfHappy wrote: »
    To feel more complete, it lacks mostly objects that are kept from one episode to another and especially objects earned by beating the previous "boss".
    But they already did that! In episode 2 you start out with the
    tear gas grenade launcher
    from episode 1. It is also mentioned soon after that the
    hypnosis-resistant helmet
    needed to beat the first boss is now permanently in use. Give TTG some credit here!
  • edited February 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    But they already did that! In episode 2 you start out with the
    tear gas grenade launcher
    from episode 1. It is also mentioned soon after that the
    hypnosis-resistant helmet
    needed to beat the first boss is now permanently in use. Give TTG some credit here!

Well yes, but 1 object recovered and the rest of the inventory emptied feels as frustrating as when you first go to the ride in the 1st game ... until you find your stuff back and more of course :)

I would have been really pissed to loose the tear gaz launcher after the fortune it cost... the other guy :P
  • edited February 2007
    Lets take a specific look shall we:
    The
    spray-paint
    did get mentioned in ep2, though not retained. Sam's gun is retained (naturally; "left it at the dry-cleaners" would get old :)). The
    bowling ball
    and the
    boxing gloves
    would just give an unwanted "more of the same" feel. And it would not exactly be in-character to retain the
    "one is literally more than enough" videotape
    . So what item are you missing here?
  • edited February 2007
    Harald B wrote: »
    Lets take a specific look shall we:
    The
    spray-paint
    did get mentioned in ep2, though not retained. Sam's gun is retained (naturally; "left it at the dry-cleaners" would get old :)). The
    bowling ball
    and the
    boxing gloves
    would just give an unwanted "more of the same" feel. And it would not exactly be in-character to retain the
    "one is literally more than enough" videotape
    . So what item are you missing here?

Well, thinking back about it (and restarting my last savegame in the process), that s true that there s not much to keep... maybe that s my problem in fact... ho well :) The
    psycho form
    wouldn't be necessary either.

After your enlightenment i guess that the things i miss are more objects and the fact to keep them from episode to episode.

The box is so empty at the beginning of ep2, gives the feeling to have done things for nothing. Bha let s just forget it and enjoy the upcoming episode :p
  • edited February 2007
    I used to be against episodic games, until Sam and Max. Maybe its because we are all going through the games at more or less the same pace, and shared hype is more enjoyable.
    Or, it could be because we are able to directly discuss the games with Telltale folks, and know that they are actually listening to our ideas, unlike the big companies that give you a questionare, then throw it out once they recieve it.

I remember going to the Capcom forums, and seeing that every time someone posted a complaint (And after Dead Rising came out, EVERYONE was complaining) Capcom's PR rep would post "There's nothing we can do about that." and that's it. No followups, no forwarding the complaint to someone who actually helped develop the game, just essentially telling everyone "You got the bone on this one, but we got the money, so screw you."

Sorry I went off on a semi-rant there :P
  • edited February 2007
    I think episodic games are a new and good idea worth considering. The benefits for the Software Company are obvious (it's always good to get paid befor delivery :) ), and it's also a unique style of playing.
    I like it very much, because it just perpetuates what most adventure-series were doing. Think about Monkey Island, or Day of the Tentacle/Maniac Mansion (to mention the most shiny representatives of that genre), what made the sequels so hilarious were all the references to the predecessors. I laughed my a** off when I found the purple meteor in Indy's office in Indy4 and so on.
    Now, Sam'n'Max focuses on this, and it elminiates the risk of diminishing the fanbase by long thirst-stretches between the games. SnM is packed with references to the earlier episode, and having only "short" times between the episodes, the references can be much more subtle than in games where the sequels comes out some ten years after.

I'd regard SnM more as a TV-Series, lke a Movie is related to a full game. What makes these series fun to watch (or to play) is the fact that you revisit old acquaintances over and over. I already love Bosco and Sybil, and you can already guess the direction it's going (Bosco with a new paranoia and Sybil with a new profession every episode). This would never work in a full game, because it would get boring.

I'd say that episodic games cannot replace full games, but be an addition to the gaming world. If I want to have a serious playing session (which is hardly anymore the case, due to lack of time), I'll dig out one of ye olde adventures and play them for a whole night.
    If I want to have a quick laugh after work, without having to recapitulate what I did last week in that game or what character said what, I'll play the newest SnM Episode.

So, TTG, keep up the good work (and do more like that... maybe you will consider buying more licenses from Lucas Arts? I'd love to see an episodic sequel to Zak McKracken or Grim Fandango...)

Phoo
  • edited February 2007
    Unfortunately, given how successful Sam & Max has been (and how blatantly all the LEC heads are kicking themselves for losing the license), I doubt they'd release their grip on any more licenses.

After all, why sell a dead license for a couple of grand when they can hold onto it for a few years, run it into the ground with one or two terrible Kart games then bury it, never to be seen again.
  • edited February 2007
    After all, why sell a dead license for a couple of grand when they can hold onto it for a few years, run it into the ground with one or two terrible Kart games then bury it, never to be seen again.

That's what I'm afraid of :(. Come one, Lucas Arts, you have enough to do with milking the Star Wars license with Strategy-Games and Stuff.

On the other hand, it might be better to let some of the games die an honorable death than to do some badly done sequel (thinking of MI:4).

Phoo
  • edited February 2007
    There's always the chance Lucasarts wakes up as they see the success of Sam & Max and revives their grand Adventure Game Making Machine and all our favourite series will return!

No?
  • edited February 2007
    Linque wrote: »
    There's always the chance Lucasarts wakes up as they see the success of Sam & Max and revives their grand Adventure Game Making Machine and all our favourite series will return!

No?

Even if they did, people would be disappointed. Their expectations of the next Lucas adventure would be so high that they would be disappointed when it failed to reach that bar set two times higher than Mt. Everest.. well, all the fans of old anyway.

Or... maybe that's just me being pessimistic. (Better to expect the worst and be satisfied, or happy, when it's not as bad as you thought.. than to expect the best and be disappointed when it's only good.. to me anyway).
  • edited February 2007
    I don t think that MI 4 was a bad game, maybe MI 3 was but i really liked the nr 4....to sam and max, episode 3 was made with a lot of accuracy and with more details but i really feeled it to short. Why can i not use the objects in my bag togheter ? i really miss that option :(
    was a but after all it is still a really good game ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.