PS3 Exclusive Content?

edited October 2010 in Back to the Future
I'm not going to preorder until this thorny issue is settled.

Sam and Max Season 3 (The Devil's Playhouse) was unfortunately marred for me by the exclusive content that PS3 owners got in 301 and 305, which was sadly never ported to PC, despite promises to the contrary by Telltale staff. (Surely that was a consequence of developing that season with PS3, not PC, as the primary platform in mind!)

The fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth, and soured me on preordering any future Telltale titles.

So, before I preorder BTTF (or indeed order it at all), let me ask Telltale this: Can you promise that this season won't have such exclusive content? I don't want to play any game with cool Nutrition Specs-style features that PS3 owners get to unlock, but which are denied to PC users.

Telltale, I loved your games in the past, but Sam and Max Season 3 shook my faith. I hope this issue won't come up again. But just to be safe, I won't be spending money on any game that, as a PC user, I judge to be an inferior port of a console title.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I have the season on PS3 and PC. Of course, I played on PS3 mostly and finished all of them.

What exclusive content are you referring to? Do tell please.

Side-note: Being a bit over dramatic, no? I suppose I will hold that thought until I get clarification on the "exclusive" content.
  • edited October 2010
    Sam and Max 301 on PS3 had the Nutrition Specs, a special extra psychic power that you received after beating the game for the first time.

The PS3 release of 305 had an additional ending that featured
    a cameo by Sam Jr. the cockroach, IIRC if you saved his life and chose the "adventure" ending branch

And no, I don't think I'm being over-dramatic. Most people on this forum give Telltale a free pass on this sort of issue, but I won't.
  • edited October 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Sam and Max

And no, I don't think I'm being over-dramatic. Most people on this forum give Telltale a free pass on this sort of issue, but I won't.

Well, I must say -- I own many of Telltale's games on PC, but once they went PS3, I haven't looked back. Playing in 1080p with surround sound on a large HD television far surpasses playing on my PC.

I understand the sadness of seeing a company expand and cater to various markets, but that is the nature of business. I think S&M: Devil's Playhouse and ToMI are the best things the company has yet to put out. If expanding to unique markets and providing a bit of "exclusive" content will keep the titles growing in quality like this -- well, I have no problem with that.
  • edited October 2010
    sascha23 wrote: »
    Well, I must say -- I own many of Telltale's games on PC, but once they went PS3, I haven't looked back. Playing in 1080p with surround sound on a large HD television far surpasses playing on my PC.

i play at 1920x1080 resolution, and play on a 24" screen with 2.1 sound system, exactly the same i use for my xbox 360 (and PS3 if i had one). if i cared enough about it i could buy a bigger screen and a surround system.
    what i'm saying is, playing on PS3 or PC is exactly the same, it just depends on how you have things set up
  • edited October 2010
    sascha23 wrote: »
    I understand the sadness of seeing a company expand and cater to various markets, but that is the nature of business. I think S&M: Devil's Playhouse and ToMI are the best things the company has yet to put out. If expanding to unique markets and providing a bit of "exclusive" content will keep the titles growing in quality like this -- well, I have no problem with that.
    I do have a problem with it, since I'm one of the people left out. I'm not a PS3 gamer, and I don't think it's fair to be penalized for that.

When Sam and Max season 3 was announced, I pre-ordered for PC on opening day, at the same price as the PS3 pre-order offer. There was no warning then that the PS3 version would have exclusive content. Ultimately, I got less gaming value for my cash than the PS3 players did. I don't think that's good business.
  • edited October 2010
    It's like, 3 seconds worth of content, and they still intend on making it available for the PC version. Please stop obsessing over something so idiotic and pointless.
  • edited October 2010
    I do have a problem with it, since I'm one of the people left out. I'm not a PS3 gamer, and I don't think it's fair to be penalized for that.

Perhaps that's why they called the first episode The "Penal" Zone??? :D

Okay, that was bad. I do feel your pain though.
  • edited October 2010
    Crrash wrote: »
    i play at 1920x1080 resolution, and play on a 24" screen with 2.1 sound system, exactly the same i use for my xbox 360 (and PS3 if i had one). if i cared enough about it i could buy a bigger screen and a surround system.
    what i'm saying is, playing on PS3 or PC is exactly the same, it just depends on how you have things set up

Definitely no argument from me there. Other than StarCraft 2, I generally tend to play stuff from GOG on my PC. Otherwise, it's PS3.

Sorry to derail...
  • edited October 2010
    It's like, 3 seconds worth of content, and they still intend on making it available for the PC version. Please stop obsessing over something so idiotic and pointless.
    I'm sure that it'll come out at the same time that the Earl Boen version of Narwhal is released on Telltale's website.

(Namely, probably never.)
  • edited October 2010
    I'm sure that it'll come out at the same time that the Earl Boen version of Narwhal is released on Telltale's website.

(Namely, probably never.)

Duke Nukem Forever is coming out next year.

Game, set, match. You lose.
  • edited October 2010
    Duke Nukem Forever is coming out next year.

Game, set, match. You lose.
    Hopefully someone will provide an answer to my original question.
  • edited October 2010
    Hopefully someone will provide an answer to my original question.

The answer is that you're blowing things way out of proportion. It's not like there was an hour of game content cut from the PC version. It's 2 minor details that account for about 3 seconds of difference between the two versions, and has been officially stated as "in progress" for PC numerous times. Even if they never release it, you're missing out on essentially nothing, especially given that you can watch the 3 seconds of content on youtube easily.
  • edited October 2010
    The answer is that you're blowing things way out of proportion. It's not like there was an hour of game content cut from the PC version. It's 2 minor details that account for about 3 seconds of difference between the two versions, and has been officially stated as "in progress" for PC numerous times. Even if they never release it, you're missing out on essentially nothing, especially given that you can watch the 3 seconds of content on youtube easily.
    It's the principle of the thing. I don't like that PC users get lower priority in terms of content than PS3 users do. I don't like having to go to YouTube to see content that should have been included in the game I played.

Again, why exactly should I feel comfortable having paid the same price for less game, when I wasn't ever warned of this in advance? That's not just bad game design, that's bad business practice.

But forewarned is forearmed, as they say. So I don't want to buy BTTF until it becomes clear whether or not it'll have exclusive PS3 content. One way or another, I want to know exactly what I'm getting for my money this time.
  • edited October 2010
    It's getting a little too hot in here, so let's cool off. In an answer to your question ATMachine, we haven't announced any specific details about the games and their content yet.

That said, Telltale does not give any platform 'lower priority' than another, it's just design choices.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't like that PC users get lower priority in terms of content than PS3 users do.

But think of all the extra content PC users get on the DVD that PS3 owners will never get and have to go to YouTube to see. Swings and roundabouts, the only real issue here 301. The 305 ending is barely different, and besides, PC Users got exclusive content, the cutscene in 304 with Sam and the Golden Shorts, that's not on the PS3 version!.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm a mostly console gamer and PS3 is my console of choice. That being said, I picked up the BTTF movies and redeemed the code for the first episode of this on PC. If I end up liking it (very likely), then I'll purchase the season on PS3.
  • edited October 2010
    Not to heat things up even more, but why don't we look at which games from TT's library are available on PC and which are available of PS3.

PC wins.
  • edited October 2010
    Please bring the game to XBLA.
    My PC can't handle games anymore - it's too creaky.
  • edited October 2010
    The PS3 release of 305 had an additional ending that featured
    a cameo by Sam Jr. the cockroach, IIRC if you saved his life and chose the "adventure" ending branch

I played the game on PC and after 2 playthroughs, I saw both endings. Not exclusive content.
  • edited October 2010
    It's getting a little too hot in here, so let's cool off.

This.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.