This website

edited May 2005 in General Chat
I don't want to be mean or insulting, but I gotta say, Telltale ought to revamp this website before they start really marketing this game. It is truly an ugly and confusing-to-navigate website. It's the first corporate site I've seen that looks like something from Geocities. When they start putting out ads for this game and people come to check it out, I think the amateurish look of the website will cause many people to not even give the game a chance.

The company logo also leaves something to be desired.

Comments

• edited May 2005
    What the hell?
  • edited May 2005
    The website looks professional to me.
  • edited May 2005
    I don't see how it's ugly, and there are much worse corporate sites. Double Fine ,
    ( although they make good games ), have a pretty bad site compared to Telltale.
  • edited May 2005
    Wow, I hadn't seen Doublefine's before. It is a bit worse, some ways.

I'm actually kind of surprised that people are disagreeing. The first time I saw this website, within two seconds, the first thing in my mind was how ugly it looked.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm legitimately concerned that a new adventure games company will not get the business it needs to keep making games.

Exhibit A:
    exhibita0vs.jpg

Exhibit B:
    exihibitb5ot.jpg
  • edited May 2005
    I really couldn't see someone going," Eww, that fonts in Arial, and that there is a two pixel long gap here, there is no way I'm going to buy a game from this company."
    I don't mean any offence, but I think your over analyzing this.
  • edited May 2005
    That may sound true, but when I first saw this website, the first thing I noticed was the aliased cartoon character. My immediate thought was, if these guys don't know the most basic thing about graphics, then I'm not interested in sticking around and seeing what they have to offer, because it'll amount to crummy shareware.

It was later when Bone was announced and I saw a screenshot on another site that I thought maybe they do know what they're doing and it's the website that's the problem.

Check out www.ravensoft.com if you want to see a site that makes a strong and lasting first impression.
  • edited May 2005
    you are being completely ridiculous..if telltales website was nothing but a picture of lucasarts executives excrement i'd still buy their games.. no "normal person" coming to check out telltales web site would notice anything you've pointed out.. and you dont seem to realise the most important aspect of a web site is its content!! and telltale are handling things in that regard
  • edited May 2005
    and let me also say this.. telltale is an independant company trying to make a brand new game and establish themselves in the gaming world im sure they havent got the time or resources to be pouring over every aspect of the graphical aspects of their website..take ya hating elsewhere!
  • edited May 2005
    Actually, I'll have to agree with tenfour on this one. The site is a little weak. You might argue one way or the other if it is important or if its not worth the time, but this site could be improved dramaticly. Yes, I'm saying that I recommend a complete overhaul.

Telltale Games is reliant on the fanbase they have from previous games, and its important that they keep that fanbase thinking about them, anticipating and eagar, which is the purpose of this website.

We might have high hopes for such a company, but we should not be so eagar as to defend their every move. I, for one, want to see Telltale grow, and we shoudn't defend them every time they do something that seems a little below standards.
  • edited May 2005
    i agree to some of your points, but not all. i don't think the website is too shoddy, neither do i think double fine's website is bad. but i'm a simple man, which prefers simple solutions instead of flashy flash-sites that take an hour to navigate and to download each page. but i still realize that people in general don't necessarily share my view on things.

that being said, i have also noticed the aliased graphics, the gaps in the thingie, and the gif floating, but i don't think the company logo is bad (again, less is more). there's room for improvement, and i've learned from my own site (www.fremmedrase.no), that people constantly can't find the secondary menus (which are pretty similar on our page). the "cluttered" frontpage is cool by me, it gives alot of info and shortcuts to most things, and informs of the most important stuff on the site, which is good. so all in all, you got some good pointers on the design, which i think are viable, whereas others are just a matter of taste/preference.

hi.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2005
    Hello friends.

I don't think tenfour is trying to "hate" on Telltale, I am interpreting the comments as trying to be helpful. So even though we appreciate the votes of loyalty, I don't think there is any need to chase folks like tenfour away.

Everyone here has made good points.

We are more than happy to hear constructive criticism on anything we do, whether it be games, comics, blogs, web-site, or Kevin's lime bars. We won't interpret these criticisms as "anti-telltale" and we encourage our dear loyal fans not to interpret them this way either.

Construct away!
  • edited May 2005
    Maybe Telltale should have a Web design contest. A lot of there fans are obviously technical oriented, and it kills two birds with one stone. 1st it might yeild a better functioning website, and 2nd it increases promotion. And its always good to have fan participation.

I know this has nothing to do with telltale but, Sorry apignarb, its just that I check out your site, and I takes WAY to long to load. The statistics are that people go away from any site that takes more then 15 sec to load, and it took over a minute for me (i have fast cable connection) becuase of the long page (maybe make more pages or at least remove images at the bottom of your pages). Just trying to help. Oh and since it takes alot to put your site out there for people to judge, and then somebody tell you whats wrong with it, I have to say that otherwise, your site looks very good!
  • edited May 2005
    or Kevin's lime bars.
    I think I felt my tongue just shrivel... Are they anything like lemon bars? They sound interesting, though.

I'm also not entirely keen on the construction of the website, but it works well enough I suppose. I'm not big on the pale blue color, but maybe it will change again sometime. It's at least a bit better than the wood panelling ;). How about changing it once a month, like the menu color on the Sony PSP? Except not so much pink. So many pink-ish months on that thing. The front page is a bit cluttered, it seems, but I like having all the information at hand. I wish the movie wouldn't play automatically, though. I admit, I expected a bit more from the TTG logo apart from a disturbing Mickey Mouse shape.

I don't know how a newcomer would react to the website, but I haven't stormed off in disgust just because it doesn't look exactly like I would want. I think most websites aren't that perfect anyway, but I still visit them because of the content. Better navigability on most websites would alleviate most of the problems I personally have, though. Also, the forum is kinda buggy, so that's frustrating.
  • edited May 2005
    I'm not hating...I just use forceful description to make a point. [:">] I really, really want to see this company succeed. :x

It seems that I'm mostly wrong if most people didn't notice any of this.

But like someone else just said, when it comes to design, less is more. This website could be sharper and easier to navigate without losing any of its content. The logo could be improved by making it simpler looking (and perhaps a little more stylistic).
  • edited May 2005
    see now look what you made em do.. personally i liked it before..the white black blue thing in the middle is not good on my eyes....

and while we got people being overy critical of websites everyone got check mine http://www.jazzyjefffreshprince.com and give me sum feedback
  • edited May 2005
    I'm not big on the pale blue color, but maybe it will change again sometime.
    Hehe... Request granted, it seems. /:) They didn't have to change it on MY account... O:) :D That was certainly sooner than I expected. I love the change, though. Of course, darker colors were always to my liking anyway. B-)

But if we're all going to make such a big deal about this, how about being able to customize the site to each of our own personal tastes? One of the things I like about the My.yahoo.com is I can change how the page is formatted from the color of the background to the layout of the information. I really don't think it's necessary, though, since the Telltale page isn't my starting homepage anyway, and Telltale is still so new, I'm currently more interested in seeing where they grow and take off than how I can control or manipulate how they look to me. If that makes any sense... However, I still like the color change, so boy am I appeased!

Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Tour Coming Soon!
    They're going on tour? :O Neato... I thought those days were all over, but I guess not. Certainly a very informative site, and more than I thought I'd ever care to know about JJ&FP.
  • edited May 2005
    imo the new vertion of the website is much better. the bone section is really cool too.
    nice to see that thing are starting to happen here.
  • edited May 2005
    but if u ask me, the combination of dark blue and black, with white, is really REALLY bad... its hurting my eyes... and that alaiset caveman should be replaced by a picture of Bone or some other char form TTTHD... because its really awful.. and that ariel font in the top of the page is looking a bit unprofessional... but other from that no compliants.. :)

imo if u can make the whole site look like the bone section it would be great...

pls excuse my bad english...
  • edited May 2005
    The new Bone section looks really good!

Yeah, I think the background looks better without a pattern, but the dark blue/bright white contrast is a little blinding.
  • edited May 2005
    I also think the t t g logo looks a million times better when not on a white background, as it is in the new Bone section.
  • edited May 2005
    I like the new color - but I really like the suggestion of each user being able to have their own customized page. It could be as basic as just having color choices - nothing major. Or, it could be like one of those pages where you get to choose which stuff goes where on the main page. Maybe I want the Blogs front and center instead of the video preview window or something... you get my drift.

Anyway - I think it is great that people have some constructive criticisms. Let them rail away. Anytime you get too complacent it is bad - it is always good to have some dialogue going on about EVERYTHING. Some people don't like the new colors - good, if everyone was satisfied with everything this company did then they wouldn't have much motivation to turn out really great stuff, and that goes all the way up from website design to games to who has to be locked in the closet with Brendan.

Speaking of criticisms: I like the dark color, but I don't like how on my browser it snaps up light blue for a second, and then goes to the new color. Also some of the forum pages are not set to autofit to the size of my browser window - some of them run off the right side and my monitor is too small to see everything at once.

EDIT: That color thing has been fixed! Thanks guys
  • edited May 2005
    It could be as basic as just having color choices...
    I don't think it would be worth the programming effort. This is not a portal site people visiting multiple times a day ('course some of us do :D ).
    If you really want to customize the site I recommend a few lines of greasemonkey code (assuming you're using firefox).
  • this is the first post thats not closed

This discussion has been closed.