What does Pre-Ordering Back to the Future Entail?

NcKNcK
edited November 2010 in Back to the Future
Hello friends ...

I wanted us know how the pre ordering this game ...

The game is shipped to my house or should I just download it via pc?

The price of 24.95 includes everything the full game? or just beginning?
The total price which would it be?
Sorry if my English is not correct, I'm Italian and super fan of this trilogy and I would order the game!

Many thanks to all

Comments

• edited October 2010
    The game will be available in five monthly episodes like all of Telltale's other series, and will be available to download from Telltale's site. When the series is complete, you have the option of getting a free DVD (for just the cost of shipping) with the five episodes and lots of cool bonus features.
    The $24.95 is for the whole five episodes. :)

The free DVD offer does not apply to steam, though. If you wanted to buy it on steam.
    Hope that helps.
    :)
  • NcKNcK
    edited October 2010
    The game will be available in five monthly episodes like all of Telltale's other series, and will be available to download from Telltale's site. When the series is complete, you have the option of getting a free DVD (for just the cost of shipping) with the five episodes and lots of cool bonus features.
    The $24.95 is for the whole five episodes. :)

The free DVD offer does not apply to steam, though. If you wanted to buy it on steam.
    Hope that helps.
    :)

Hello thanks for the reply ...
    So you're saying that $ 24.95 is the price of everything the full game? including 5 series?
    Once downloaded, how does it work? with steam?
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited October 2010
    $24.95 is the price for the 5 episodes of the season.
    Once downloaded, the episodes work on their own (i.e. without Steam).
    Usually, each episode of a Telltale series has its own launcher.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Hello NcK (and welcome to the forums!).

24.95 is the price for all five "episodes" of the game. One episode will normally last two to four hours of gaming time, if they are comparable to other Telltale Games.

Once downloaded, you will install the episode and activate it online, which takes only seconds. You may then play the episode anytime without being online.

At the end of the season, you can get a DVD with all five episodes (you'll only pay postage & packaging), which will run in your disc drive like any other retail game and does not need online activation.
  • NcKNcK
    edited October 2010
    Thank you so much you have been very comprehensive!
    Well I'm glad that works without steam!

One last thing ...
    If I order the game will be sent to me in my language?
    the game will be translated into my language? Italian?
    edited October 2010
    There are no translations announced yet. The game will be in English only, sorry! There are always (English) subtitles, which might help with the comprehension of the game if your English is not that good. But it reads pretty well. ;)
  • NcKNcK
    edited October 2010
    I see ...
    I'd like the game was in Italian!
    I'd understand it better!

I contacted TellTale wondering if there's a translation but I still do not respond ...

However I think the short game will be available for all parts of the world and then come out well in Italian?
    edited October 2010
    NcK wrote: »
    I see ...
    I'd like the game was in Italian!
    I'd understand it better!

I contacted TellTale wondering if there's a translation but I still do not respond ...

However I think the short game will be available for all parts of the world and then come out well in Italian?

I'm not sure if they will answer. There are many international customers for Telltale, and this question comes up again and again (for ALL their games), but if a translation is done, a local translator and distributor would have to be found first, which takes time! Right now, they just can not do that. Judging from the popularity of the BTTF series, there might be translations into other languages, possibly even in 2011, but I wouldn't count on that (2012 is far more likely...).

The game might be relatively "short" in terms of gaming time (about 20 hours), but I assure you, these 20 hours are full of very long dialogue sequences which are quite difficult to translate!
  • NcKNcK
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure if they will answer. There are many international customers for Telltale, and this question comes up again and again (for ALL their games), but if a translation is done, a local translator and distributor would have to be found first, which takes time! Right now, they just can not do that. Judging from the popularity of the BTTF series, there might be translations into other languages, possibly even in 2011, but I wouldn't count on that (2012 is far more likely...).

The game might be relatively "short" in terms of gaming time (about 20 hours), but I assure you, these 20 hours are full of very long dialogue sequences which are quite difficult to translate!

I understand, so it is absurd to take it because the English would understand a little ...
    Perhaps better to wait for the Italian version?
    what do you recommend for me?
  • edited October 2010
    There will be an option for English subtitles, if you can read English quickly, you should be fine!

Telltale haven't announced international distribution for their games, and you might end up waiting a pretty long time to get a localized version in your native country/language. It's basically a trade-off of waiting vs playing in english now, and that's something you'll have to weigh yourself.

Personally, I like experiencing media made in my second language because I value practice, but I can definitely understand the wanting to "just understand" it! I also like listening in the original language because I get the original voices and the original lines without translation mistakes/compromises. This point is very much not "learn english, foreigner!", and I don't want it to sound like that at all because that would be rude!
  • NcKNcK
    edited October 2010
    There will be an option for English subtitles, if you can read English quickly, you should be fine!

Telltale haven't announced international distribution for their games, and you might end up waiting a pretty long time to get a localized version in your native country/language. It's basically a trade-off of waiting vs playing in english now, and that's something you'll have to weigh yourself.

Personally, I like experiencing media made in my second language because I value practice, but I can definitely understand the wanting to "just understand" it! I also like listening in the original language because I get the original voices and the original lines without translation mistakes/compromises. This point is very much not "learn english, foreigner!", and I don't want it to sound like that at all because that would be rude!
    Ok thank you to you and to all
  • edited October 2010
    I'm assuming that if I plan to play this game on my Xbox 360 that I don't want to sign up for the pre-order, correct? Thank you for your reply in advance.
  • edited October 2010
    The game has not been announced for Xbox 360.
  • edited October 2010
    I am a huge fan of the BTTF trilogy and suddenly have interest in Telltale games when before I had none. Recently, I discovered a promotion on the web that gave me the first episode of this series for free (luckily I noticed this before I pre-ordered, also I just found this today as I am writing this so some interested people may still be able to pick this up). For those who are familiar with Telltale's usual operations, will it ultimately be the same price ($25) to have the first episode free and then buy the subsequent episodes as they are available or will I save money by playing the first episode and then buying them as they are available (such as if they were each $5 and ultimately the series would then cost $20).
  • edited October 2010
    At this stage the only way to get episodes 2-5 (with ep 1 too if you want to re-download it) is to buy the season subscription. There is no 'upgrade' to the free episode, as basically anybody in the world has access to the free episode.

There's no plan (as yet) to offer each episode for individual sale, but even if there was it would likely be priced such that you'd get a better deal by buying the whole season rather than individual episodes.
  • edited October 2010
    why is everybody assuming that he/she gets the season cheaper, just because they got the first episode for free? that way of thinking is kinda stupid. think about it. it makes no sense.
    edited October 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    why is everybody assuming that he/she gets the season cheaper, just because they got the first episode for free?

Weeellll, I think the general strain of thought is, if you get one episode for free, why do you have to pay as much for the four remaining episodes as others pay for the full five? ;)

But of course, the first episode is a giveaway for everyone who wants it, not just the Blu Ray owners, and with that 3-4 hour "teaser", they are going to be inevitably lured into buying the full game at full price! AHAHAHAHAAAA!! (= evil laugh)
  • edited October 2010
    Has it been announced that the BttF game will have a DVD after the season? (I assume it will since all TTG series do, but I just haven't seen that anywhere)
    edited October 2010
    Yes. (at the time, this offer still looks as if only the pre-orderers would get the DVD, but I can't quite believe that)
  • edited October 2010
    When the series is complete, you have the option of getting a free DVD (for just the cost of shipping) with the five episodes and lots of cool bonus features.

So the bonus features are only available in the end on the DVD-Release. is it not downloadable too?

Because i don't want to miss anything on this game :)
    edited October 2010
    Trackah123 wrote: »
    So the bonus features are only available in the end on the DVD-Release. is it not downloadable too?

Because i don't want to miss anything on this game :)

Some bonus features might be available for download, but based on Telltale's previous releases, most of them will only be on the DVD.
  • edited October 2010
    Definitely getting the DVD. BTW, if you get more than 1 DVD's do you get charged for more shipping costs or will they relatively stay the same.
    edited October 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    BTW, if you get more than 1 DVD's do you get charged for more shipping costs or will they relatively stay the same.

Shipping costs have fluctuated wildly over the course of Telltale's existence.
    To get an idea of how much shipping would cost (at this time) for a certain number of DVD's, just put as many as you'd like to buy in your shopping cart and proceed to checkout.
    Just don't enter your payment information until you're ready to make the purchase.
  • edited October 2010
    Well...I can't check it out yet since I still can't use my Sam and Max season purchases to upgrade and get the dvd's for only the shipping costs.
    edited October 2010
    You don't need to use any kind of coupon/discount to check the shipping costs... Just put DVD's in your shopping cart, enter a shipping address, check the shipping costs and remove the DVD's from your cart.
    Here are some actual examples for International first-class mail (for the sake of this example, I used the standard edition of the TOMI DVD):

1 DVD to the Netherlands: $10.39
    2 DVD's to the Netherlands: $13.94
    3 DVD's to the Netherlands: $15.81
    4 DVD's to the Netherlands: $15.96

Priority Mail International is a bit more expensive and not necessarily faster.
    Finally, FedEx Economy and Priority are also available, but those services more than triple the shipping costs.

Hope this helps!
  • edited October 2010
    Wow, that's cheap!

Thanks MacFly =)
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah thats not so bad.
    I'm probably gonna order the DVD's too then.
  • edited October 2010
    Hello. I'm new here and I have a question.
    If I pre order this game now, and it becomes available on steam at a later date, can it get linked to my steam account?

Say, if I pre order now, and there is a promotional pre order for another game (eg. TF2 w/ sam and max), Will I still get the promotion linked to steam account?

Thank you
  • edited October 2010
    @Trackah

We(I saw that you are dutch) also have the benefit of the euro almost being 1.5 dollars. =)
    So we pay 10 euro almost ^^
    edited October 2010
    Trackah123 wrote: »
    Yeah thats not so bad.
    I'm probably gonna order the DVD's too then.

Please note that it will be quite some time until the DVD is available (2-3 months after the season ends). It will probably be July, August or even September 2011 before they're in store.
    Quaxon wrote: »
    Hello. I'm new here and I have a question.
    If I pre order this game now, and it becomes available on steam at a later date, can it get linked to my steam account?

No, sorry! Ordering the game here and ordering it from Steam are two things not connected to each other. If you want to purchase from Steam, you'll have to do it there - when the game's up, that is.
  • edited November 2010
    I'd just like to announce that next to the known benefits, people that pre-order get special offers every monday up to the release of the game.

For instance: We just got a 50% off code for the Bone Bundle on the exclusive BttF board.
  • edited November 2010
    So, do you know if it is going to be released on steam? Do tell tale allways release their games on steam?
  • edited November 2010
    bumping for responce plz
  • edited November 2010
    Yes, it should be on Steam. All the other games are there. Don't know when you will be able to preorder though, sorry. Maybe this month.
    edited November 2010
    The official Telltale response regarding Steam availability (straight from another thread):
    Back to the Future will be available on Steam. It just isn't available to order there as of yet.

Purchasing the game through the Telltale Games Store is the only way to get Puzzle Agent for free, have a dollar from your purchase go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation, and gain access the Insider Forums though.
  • edited November 2010
    Does anyone here know how long you can pre-order it for?

I'm kind of "on the fence", I like adventure games and TT is pretty good, not a huge BttF fan however and not rolling in cash atm either, so I want to think about it a while.
  • edited November 2010
    Does anyone here know how long you can pre-order it for?

Pre-orders usually go all the way up until the game is released. Since we don't have a date yet, I'd say you still have plenty of time.
  • edited November 2010
    I think he might be under the assumption that you can reserve a copy without having to pay yet.
  • edited November 2010
    No not at all. :confused:

I thought you may be able to pre-order till quite late, but yes, you always like to confirm these things. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Please note that it will be quite some time until the DVD is available (2-3 months after the season ends). It will probably be July, August or even September 2011 before they're in store.

Aww, now i wish i had a working time-machine :D But i guess i'll just have to wait then. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.