Elite Beat Agents

edited April 2007 in General Chat
Elite Beat Agents: Greatest game of all time? Probably not. But best game made for the Nintendo DS so far? It gets my vote. :D

Comments

• edited February 2007
    You have heard of a little game called New Super Mario Brothers, right? Elite Beat Agents might be better, but it's rather close.
  • edited February 2007
    Best game for the DS for sure! no complaints about this game being too easy as well :p Its damn hard..and I've put plenty of hours into this one..and I got a whole lot more to go!
  • edited February 2007
    You should try the japanese original Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan which in my opinion is even better (better music!). Both versions are different enough to buy them both!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    I played an hour or two of Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan and enjoyed it a lot. It was my friend's copy though, and had to give it back. Hopefully I'll eventually get around to picking up both it and Elite Beat Agents.
  • edited February 2007
    Oilers99 wrote: »
    You have heard of a little game called New Super Mario Brothers, right? Elite Beat Agents might be better, but it's rather close.
    NSMB is a great game, but the main reason EBA gets my vote is that NSMB would have worked perfectly on another system (it could almost have worked on GBA, except for the 3D sprites). EBA might not be a better game, but I'd say it is a better DS game, if that makes any sense.

And yeah, I will probably import Ouendan eventually, once I discover a magical spring from which gold flows like water.... or a site with cheap shipping.
  • edited February 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    N
    And yeah, I will probably import Ouendan eventually, once I discover a magical spring from which gold flows like water.... or a site with cheap shipping.

cheap shipping? how does free shipping sound? -> check out www.yesasia.com

Here's Ouendan:
    http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-games/pid-1004028136/
  • edited February 2007
    Wow, thanks axelkothe. That's awesome.
    Now I have another delivery to look forward to.
  • edited February 2007
    NSMB is a great game, but the main reason EBA gets my vote is that NSMB would have worked perfectly on another system (it could almost have worked on GBA, except for the 3D sprites). EBA might not be a better game, but I'd say it is a better DS game, if that makes any sense.

What does feature usage have to do with the game's quality? In the phrase " best DS game", DS is the adjective, and game is the noun. Both are games, and both are for the DS, so they both qualify equally. What separates them is which one is best. Since best is the adjective for game, the better game is the one that is more fun to play. I'm not really sure which one I'd give the title to personally, but the use of the DS's more esoteric features isn't a factor, nor should it be.

As for what the games should have used, Mario just needs the D-pad and buttons, but why doesn't a rhythm-action game use the DS's microphone? If you're talking about missed opportunity, Elite Beat Agents is actually behind New Super Mario Brothers.
  • edited February 2007
    Eh. Not gonna argue semantics. My definition of "best game for the DS" is bound to be different from someone else's.
  • edited February 2007
    Eh. Not gonna argue semantics. My definition of "best game for the DS" is bound to be different from someone else's.

You just used my exact definition. The best game that happens to be for the DS. :confused:
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    I'm gonna go ahead and just say we stop while we're ahead. Definitions suck. I like the vagueness of my life. :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2007
    Dropping that topic for one from earlier in the thread, my copy of Ouendan arrived today. It's certainly playable, but I definitely feel like I'm missing something by not knowing what the characters are saying in Japanese. Also, the solemn cheer squad isn't nearly as funny to watch as the dancing EBA. Still, the humor of the situations still shines through, and the art and gameplay are similarly excellent.
  • edited February 2007
    NickTTG wrote: »
    I'm gonna go ahead and just say we stop while we're ahead. Definitions suck. I like the vagueness of my life. :rolleyes:

Splinter the effortlessness to quasar listlessness, padawan.
  • edited February 2007
    You can get the game at http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-77-1-49-en-15-beat%2Belite%2Bagents-70-q2z.html

It is 48.90 and shipping is 2.60
  • edited February 2007
    play asia's good got eba and phoenix wright from them
  • edited February 2007
    According to Nintendo's Japanese release list, there's an Ouendan sequel coming sometime in Japan. No official word on what that means for EBA, but considering EBA sold better, I think it's safe to imagine there will be a U.S. sequel in some form.
  • edited February 2007
    Knowning how Japan usually get the "updated, localized" american releases of japanese games (Mario USA/Super Mario 2, Final fantasy VII international/Final fantasy VII us release, those american made seasons for yu-ig-oh and ultimate muscles, etc....), it might simply be Elite Beat Agents in japanese.
  • edited February 2007
    That occurred to me as well, although the official title doesn't particularly suggest that.
    "Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2" just means "Burn! Hot-Blooded Rhythm Soul Go! Fight! Cheer Squad 2," although I suppose the Agents are somewhat hot-blooded rhythm souls as well.
  • edited April 2007
    i remember that games commercial... From what i gather you cause the guys to dance in the bottom screen with the stylus, and that somehow causes a woman in the tops screen to shake her baby. HAHA i loved that commercial.
  • edited April 2007
    For those who do not know, the sequel to the japanese one is commin out next month and is not the american version of EBA translated in Jp. There is goin to be a rival squad in this one where you can play against and play as.
  • edited April 2007
    Eater wrote: »
    i remember that games commercial... From what i gather you cause the guys to dance in the bottom screen with the stylus, and that somehow causes a woman in the tops screen to shake her baby. HAHA i loved that commercial.

Hah! Yes, the world needs more baby-shaking sims.

I think that Nintendo did a poor job advertising the game... but it might just be because it's hard to convey pure awesome in a short commercial.
    doom saber wrote: »
    For those who do not know, the sequel to the japanese one is commin out next month

Yeah! I can't believe how soon that is! But I still can't wait, either!
  • edited April 2007
    Hah! Yes, the world needs more baby-shaking sims.

I think that Nintendo did a poor job advertising the game... but it might just be because it's hard to convey pure awesome in a short commercial.

Yeah! I can't believe how soon that is! But I still can't wait, either!

I preordered the game using the website that someone posted here. It is the cheapest, with shipping being free and all.

AS for the ad of EBA, I thought it was like you said, short. I prefer the japanese ad for Ouendan 1, withe ramen noodles employee person being depressed for not having any customers
Sign in to comment in this discussion.