Why only 5 player table game?

In a tourney format, Poker is never played with 5 people. It's always either a 6 or 9 player table.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    do u really want them to go out, find 4 more characters, and spend another few months to make it instead of getting it in a couple weeks or so.
  • edited November 2010
    No, but at least they could've made it 6 player table >_>

Anyways...I wasn't criticizing. I already play poker online. This is not something I am really anticipating(although I have it already on pre-order because it was so cheap).
    It was just an observation as I saw that Telltale's Texas Hold'em had 4 opponents too.

I am curious about this choice.
  • edited November 2010
    There's nothing strange about it, as this is an informal get-together among acquaintances and not an official tournament. If you and four of your friends like to meet and play some poker every once in a while, you're not going to go out of your way to find exactly one or four additional players.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Yes we do. We always make sure we're at least with 7 people.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't think most people think about the amount of players at the table in games between friends. The game is more about the banter between the characters anyway and more than four would be too much.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Although the structure is no-limit tournament style, the actual mood of the game is a casual get together among friends, so it's just a random number of people. I think four was picked because it gives you a good mix of personalities without being overbearing... and they can all fit on the screen at once!
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Thanks for the elaboration. =)
  • edited November 2010
    heavy is very big man, he takes up lot of screenspace :D

Seriously cant wait to hear all the fun dialog.
  • edited November 2010
    Secret sixth character is goign to be marty mcfly or young doc brown
    i'm calling it now!!!
  • edited November 2010
    I'd really like to see Murray in this game. We didn't see enough of him in the last monkey island game.
  • edited November 2010
    How would he play without hands?
  • edited November 2010
    caeska wrote: »

Speaking of which, how does Strong Bad play with boxing gloves on?
  • edited November 2010
    Soup wrote: »
    Secret sixth character is goign to be marty mcfly or young doc brown
    i'm calling it now!!!

Owh man....I see an expansion pack coming. ^^
  • edited November 2010
    Several of the characters are psychotic, why can't you just count the voices in their heads as an extra player?

Especially Max.
  • edited November 2010
    If it's true that this is a pilot game, then perhaps we'll see other characters get added on. Still, Telltale has said they wanted a small number of players to make it feel more casual.
  • edited November 2010
    caeska wrote: »

As Murray would say:

"How can you walk around without a brain? Some things no one can answer"

Speaking of dialogue.... It would be interesting to have dialogue trees. In the last poker game the player was passive in waiting for characters to say their lines... Perhaps some sort of initiate table talk type of button. Just a thought Telltale
  • edited November 2010
    i wish they could have gotten Guybrush to apear in this game.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Licensing 4 characters is difficult enough! I couldn't imagine trying to do this with more characters, with different art styles, etc.

But ignoring that issue for the moment, echoing what Jake said I think 5 players feels right for this style of poker. This isn't a hard-core tournament. This is a breezy, fun night in the back room of a bar poker game. With more characters it would start to get crowded and harder get them interacting in any meaningful way. I think its just about right, of course I am ridiculously biased at this point.
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    In a tourney format, Poker is never played with 5 people. It's always either a 6 or 9 player table.
    Isn't this just a matter of convention? I can't see any reason why a six-player table makes an inherently better format than a five-player table. (Yes, I am aware that five-handed poker plays a bit differently, but differently doesn't imply worse.)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.