Query regarding the recording sessions

No, no, this isn't about the accuracy of the Heavy's voice. I think it sounds fine. This isn't the subject at hand, so, moving on...

I'm curious about this speaking as a former (amateur) voice actor for some semi-famous flash movies back in the day - I remember reading a whole bunch of previews about how great lengths were taken to try and make the conversations and relationships seem natural between the characters, so, I'm actually pretty curious on one point.

Did all four voice actors record their lines at the same time simultaneously at any point, or were they all brought in at varying points individually? Obviously, differing schedules and such can get in the way of that, but it's been something I've been curious about... especially hearing the way Strong Bad's VA goes about doing the dialogue.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on little tidbits here and there all the same, Telltale, I'd been looking forward to playing this since it was first announced.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Something tells me Matt Chapman wouldn't be able to travel to Telltale's studio.
  • edited November 2010
    spd12 wrote: »

I'm curious about this speaking as a former (amateur) voice actor for some semi-famous flash movies back in the day

Really? Anything I'd be familiar with? Like Newgrounds flash animations?
  • edited November 2010
    NameOfUser wrote: »
    Really? Anything I'd be familiar with? Like Newgrounds flash animations?

Probably, back in the earlier half of the 2000s. I was the voice of Joseph in the Arfenhouse movies. I had a few lines in some other things too, like Disaster Labs' vulgar take on 8-Bit Theater and Shadow Government Puppet Show.

Nothing that actually had me at a recording studio, though I've always wanted to give that a shot. Voice range really is my huge weakness though. Well, was, anyway.
  • edited November 2010
    something tells me matt chapman wouldn't be able to travel to telltale's studio.

why?
  • edited November 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    why?

i think part of the reason is the movie he's working on.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Everyone recorded separately, like we do on all of our games. While getting everyone in the room together would be cool, the logistics of it would be nearly impossible with the four actors schedules, and the time it took to record would go through the roof. When theres just one person in the studio, especially with the shorter lines, you can just go, go, go, and with good actors (aka all the guys in Poker Night) you're getting great material from that. Also once you get multiple actors you'd probably have to start doing thinkpgs like rehearsal meetings and group table reads etc. I'm sure with everyone in the room we'd get some unique stuff we couldn't get any other way, but in practice for most games it's not very practical.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, I understand the logistics nightmares behind that. But, I still remained curious about whether or not it was separate or simultaneous. That said, this plenty answers my curiosity on the matter, thank you!

I do look forward to seeing how it all turns out in actual play.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.