Help the noob

I need tips from Veterans of Monkey Island .... I purchased the 5 chapters from PSN and Im stuck wondering the jungle trying to find the treasurer .... I found it but nothing in it .... I have no clue what im doing and nothing is adding up . I don't want to look at a walk-though and waste 19 dollars .

Love some tips !! I'm extremely clueless to monkey Island . helpful tips would be great ... So far I am extremely confused about the game-play

Comments

• edited November 2010
    try putting somthing in there that Doro will go for.
  • edited November 2010
    coolsome wrote: »
    try putting somthing in there that Doro will go for.

What would be the best TIP you can give me ? How to understand MI game-play
  • edited November 2010
    Telltale has a walkthrough here

I'm not sure what part you're having trouble with.
    Here's some general hints for Monkey Island and other Adventure games:
    Talk to everyone, and go through each dialogue option.
    Examine everything in your inventory. Try to combine items with other items.
    Click on everything. Everything selectable either has a use or a joke tied to it.
    You may want to turn up the hint frequency. Whenever Guybrush says something on his own, that is a hint.

A specific note, the jungle of Flotsam island is a bit crazy as one path will lead you back where you just were, like the Lost Woods in the Zelda series. You have to listen to use the treaure map.
  • edited November 2010
    use the cheese with jail carvings (under the cell windows). I would never of guessed that ... Where what did I miss here ? I had to go online to cheat ... Very confused as to why i would use Cheese on jail carvings .....

how in the world was I supposed to know this !!

EDIT this as well

Use Hemlock’s map with altar ... Where did I get the impression I needed to do this ? game is confusing the hell out of me !

Demo seemed like this game would be fun but now its 4 hours of mindless not understanding anything .... Sorry not hating on your game but I wished I kept hold of my 20 dollars .
  • edited November 2010
    When you open up the map, you can see an image of a hand holding the map to an alter and following the path to the treasure. To open the map, you need to open your inventory list and use the magnifying lens to examine it. I don't know the controls on the PS3 so it may be a button to press, but there may be a magnifying lens icon above where you can combine items.

Sometimes the game will let you do something, even if the story doesn't have a definite reason yet. The eyes on the cheese wheel comes in later in the episode when you come across statues that you have to rotate parts on. One of the statues is missing the wheel to rotate eyes so you substitute it with the cheese wheel. The game usually doesn't want you to try something, have it not work, and later when you do need to do it, you'd think 'I tried that and it didn't work.'
  • edited November 2010
    And after you've been playing adventure games for a while, you get used to doing odd things. Once I had picked up the cheese wheel, I tried using it on the jail carvings just for the hell of it. Who knew it would be useful later?
  • edited November 2010
    And after you've been playing adventure games for a while, you get used to doing odd things. Once I had picked up the cheese wheel, I tried using it on the jail carvings just for the hell of it. Who knew it would be useful later?

yh thoes where the days :P
  • edited November 2010

I never play these types of games I am always playing FPS and the closet Iv ever played to a RPG was Fallout Vegas :eek:

I made it to chapter 4 and cheated one time in Chapter 3 and 1x in chapter 2 . I'm now stuck at the court case with the shot glasses glowing Leg and a stupid cat ... I got the glass-eye to work as I lucked out my pissing off the judge .

I will not use the walkthrough but kinda confused after

I got the shot glasses filled them up except one !

Gave the Red eye to prisoner .

Got monkey and used toy on him (?)

Now I am just walking around trying to figure out what to do next ! Just a clue would be nice don't give it away .
  • edited November 2010
    Have you questioned Bosun Krebbs yet? There's a pretty good clue about what you have to do with the items you told us about (which I'm warning you will require a lot of trial and error to get right). Also, you may or may not want to look around for something to put in that last shotglass. Remember, there's hot fluids all over the harbor, plus one in the bar (not counting the shot you didn't drink).

Oh, and when you think you can clear your name, make sure that you ask to go back to court from outside your cell. If you ask from inside, it'll cause a game-breaking bug.
  • edited November 2010
    really? what bug?

Ahh, newcomers to adventure games. It makes me smile. :)
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    really? what bug?
    Probably the one that generated this thread.
  • edited November 2010
    Have you questioned Bosun Krebbs yet? There's a pretty good clue about what you have to do with the items you told us about (which I'm warning you will require a lot of trial and error to get right). Also, you may or may not want to look around for something to put in that last shotglass. Remember, there's hot fluids all over the harbor, plus one in the bar (not counting the shot you didn't drink).

Oh, and when you think you can clear your name, make sure that you ask to go back to court from outside your cell. If you ask from inside, it'll cause a game-breaking bug.

yeah I got it ! I am basically just talking to everyone all over again until something pops out at me ... Now at the Plant with the Lion claw and used the sponge with sales man jacket cloth ... Trying to feed it to the plant no go as of yet . :(
  • edited November 2010
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Probably the one that generated this thread.

Sorry to have "BUG" you :D
  • edited November 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    really? what bug?

Ahh, newcomers to adventure games. It makes me smile. :)

:rolleyes:
  • edited November 2010
    yeah I got it ! I am basically just talking to everyone all over again until something pops out at me ... Now at the Plant with the Lion claw and used the sponge with sales man jacket cloth ... Trying to feed it to the plant no go as of yet . :(

You do want to try giving the plant something, but not the sponge, and only so you can get the paw out of its mouth.
  • edited November 2010
    You do want to try giving the plant something, but not the sponge, and only so you can get the paw out of its mouth.

even the walkthough is confusing now ...

Follow the path laid out from the jungle archway (two pillars in the low left) to loop around to the red idol. After arrival, unfold the bottom right corner of the map, revealing a new path to the question mark

WHAT Question mark ? Also what did I miss to figure this out ? I walked around for 3 hours and gave up . Game is confusing the Hello Kitty out of me !

K I found it by folding the LEFT Side of the map not the right side .
    But I would love to know what Clue I missed ...
  • edited November 2010
    Have a look at this if the map is giving you trouble. Remember, when the paths change on the map, they change in the jungle as well.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=258182#post258182
  • edited November 2010
    Have a look at this if the map is giving you trouble. Remember, when the paths change on the map, they change in the jungle as well.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=258182#post258182

Umm ...

Head back to the Treasure Hunter area and give the dog a whiff of the sock, then point him to the X's. Now, trust his sensitive nose, and follow him. Go to the Center of the Crossroads to get a good look at where he went.

I did this and nothing happens ... I also figured this out before I went on here and no luck with the walk-though page ! all GuyB says " There is nothing around here I need him to find "
  • edited November 2010

I'm pretty sure they fixed that after a week or so.
  • edited November 2010
    Anyone ?
  • edited November 2010
    anyone going to help me ?
  • edited November 2010
    Anyone ? Please tell me what to DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:
  • edited November 2010
    Try this, and take it easy. It's only a game. A great game, but just a game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MruwRFHNKv0&feature=related
  • edited November 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Try this, and take it easy. It's only a game. A great game, but just a game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MruwRFHNKv0&feature=related

I know its just a game but I am also past that part ...

Head back to the Treasure Hunter area and give the dog a whiff of the sock, then point him to the X's. Now, trust his sensitive nose, and follow him. Go to the Center of the Crossroads to get a good look at where he went.

I did this and nothing happens ... I also figured this out before I went on here and no luck with the walk-though page ! all GuyB says " There is nothing around here I need him to find "

PS I don't want to look at the videos or it will kill the moment when I get to see what happens next .
  • edited November 2010
    Ok on the PS3 this happened .... I followed Smell socks with Dog then point to Xs but no go ! confused I left that area then came back and this time did not use the socks - instead just pointed to the Xs and it worked ? weird ... :confused:
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, so where are you stuck again? Is the Dog at the crossroads? There should be someone standing in the way of where you need to dig.
  • edited November 2010
    Double posting turns my blood cold.
  • edited November 2010
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    triple posting turns my blood cold.

3chs
  • edited November 2010
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    Double posting turns my blood cold.

:rolleyes:
  • edited November 2010
    I know its just a game but I am also past that part ...

Okay, so umm...

Talk to Galeb.

Ask about returning to the living world.

Go to Treasure Hunt.

Click on Skull and Crossbones.

Go to Gateway.

Give bone to dog.

Go to Thieves' Den.

Take Sock.

Combine Sock with Dog.

Go to Treasure Hunt.

Use Dog on Ground.

Go to Center.

Use Sock on Galeb.

Does this help?
  • edited November 2010
    Walkthrough said

Use the hook on the sail to rip his way down, call out to Elaine to attack LeChuck with him.

I do not see an option to call for Elaine ? I can tell Elaine to light the cannon while I am on the ground .
    This is on the PS3
  • edited November 2010
    You should be able to talk to Elaine in a couple places on the ship, and you have the options of having her light the cannon or attack LeChuck.
  • edited November 2010
    It is quite late to tell about it, but for other times you play adventure games, you should try using the UHS. It is a site that rather than giving you the walkthrough, gives you hints to the solution, quite like the hint system in Bone.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.