Telltale's Dream "At the Inventory" Line-Up?

This question is specifically aimed at Telltale staffers.

The characters in Poker Night appear to be relatively easy to get ahold of. Since Telltale owns the Sam & Max license, as well as being good friends with the Homestar Runner and Valve guys; with Penny Arcade... well I'm not sure of Penny Arcade's PRs but I would imagine they wouldn't be excruciatingly difficult.

So, seeing as the characters are within arm's length - what would your dream "At the Inventory" line-up be? If you could pick any four characters from all of a video-game history, with no obligations - giving them their exact voice, likeness and personality with no strings attached - who would you see duking it out At the Inventory?

I myself would probably get, say, Duke Nukem, Master Chief from Halo, Pacman (or some other relatively old-school character), and Lara Croft, or something. Some of the most iconic (or just plain stupid) characters in all of gaming, and milking every satire or parody you can out of them. Master Chief and Duke Nukem in particular, two very one-dimensional characters, I would love to see comically exploited for our amusement.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Pacman. In a poker game.
    I love it.
  • edited November 2010
    Oh, I should point out, not specifically just Poker Night. I meant "At the Inventory" as a series.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm not putting tons of effort in for a quick gag, so here's my rough image:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2051&stc=1&d=1289214231
  • edited November 2010

Max and Tycho are horrified that they'd be so inconsiderate as to run over the table.

Also, I think I should mention how "The Inventory" doesn't seem restricted to "real" video game characters, as licensed video games are apparently allowed. The Heavy is the only one of the four in Poker Night to actually originate from a video game.
  • edited November 2010

DO NOT BAIT PEPSI. Please.
  • JubJub
    edited November 2010
    DO NOT BAIT PEPSI. Please.

My thoughts exactly.
  • edited November 2010
    Jub wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly.

Wow.. Did you get that from the Red-White-Blue color scheme? (or am I missing something else more obvious) I like Pepsi, but that's scary. Brainwash scary...
  • edited November 2010
    Pacman. In a poker game.
    I love it.

Poke-Man.

No, wait, that would be a different kind of game.... :eek:

Actually, there was a punctuation-teaching game called Punc-Man.
  • edited November 2010
    ymrar wrote: »
    Wow.. Did you get that from the Red-White-Blue color scheme? (or am I missing something else more obvious) I like Pepsi, but that's scary. Brainwash scary...

Pepsiboy is a troll who's repeatedly been asking for Mario, Sonic, the Raving Rabbids, Mickey Mouse, and all sorts of other ridiculous characters to appear in "porker night at the ivetory." (He's yet to call it by its actual name once.)
  • edited November 2010
    Poke-Man.

No, wait, that would be a different kind of game.... :eek:

You're thinking of the Jamaican version of Poke-é-mon :D
  • edited November 2010
    Red pikmin, Yellow pikmin, Blue pikmin, and uh.. Bulborb?
    1335418-800px_pikmin_002_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, instead of poker they'll be playing baccarat.
  • edited November 2010
    Andy - I rather doubt you'll get Telltale to answer this question (though who knows, I could be wrong). So this thread will probably continue to degenerate into who we forum users would like to see. A degeneration that I shall embrace immediately! ;)

Mario would be neat in theory, but in practice he'd probably be a lousy character because he (quite intentionally) has no personality. He's supposed to be generic enough that you can put yourself into his shoes.

I'd like to see Sonic, but I'd want it to be the old-school 90's Sonic, not the post-Sonic Adventure incarnation. Admittedly, he probably wouldn't be as good a character as the ones we have already, since Sonic isn't quite as mentally unbalanced, so I guess this is just the nostalgia/fanboyism talking...

I'd say The Scout would be good, but I guess that's a rather obvious idea since we already have The Heavy. Also, some people are probably tired of The Scout's chatter by now.

Um, let's see, who else... Leo from VG Cats? (I slightly prefer Aeris as a character, but I think Leo would make more amusing chatter...)

Also, he's not a video game-related character, so he wouldn't belong, but so long as we're fantasizing... I think Davan MacIntire from Something*Positive would be great. S*P has some of the best dialogue I've ever seen, hands down.
  • edited November 2010
    furrykef wrote: »
    Mario would be neat in theory, but in practice he'd probably be a lousy character because he (quite intentionally) has no personality. He's supposed to be generic enough that you can put yourself into his shoes.

It's not just that Mario has no personality. Aside from some brief soundbites ("Let's-a go!", "Okey-dokey!") he doesn't talk, which instantly makes him a terrible idea for a game based around dialogue. Not to mention Nintendo doesn't really like lending out their characters to other companies wanting to do a crossover (Fun Fact: Link and Samus were planned to be in the Wii version of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but Nintendo rejected it.) The only exceptions have been Link in the GameCube version of Soulcalibur II and the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics games.

In fact, assuming "At the Inventory" blossoms into the full series Telltale wants it to, crossing over whatever they can get their hands on the rights for, it's unlikely any Japanese game companies would be willing to lend their characters to a small independent Western studio.
  • edited November 2010
    More likely it's going to be other small independent studios that work well with Telltale, or supportive bigger companies that already enjoy telltale games like Valve.
  • JubJub
    edited November 2010
    I can see it now... you're thinking up what to do next and Sonic just blurts out

HEY YOU'RE TOO SLOW!

The rage...
  • edited November 2010
    In fact, assuming "At the Inventory" blossoms into the full series Telltale wants it to, crossing over whatever they can get their hands on the rights for, it's unlikely any Japanese game companies would be willing to lend their characters to a small independent Western studio.
    Yes, but the very point of the thread is basically "I want a pony". Any relation to reality needn't exist. :P
  • edited November 2010
    I wouldn't mind seeing Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation join the fray. Granted, he'd have to be portrayed in his traditional 2D stickman persona, probably with super-framey animations like Nelson Tethers or Mr. Game & Watch, but he'd still work well as the extremely bitter, sarcastic foil to the other players.
  • edited November 2010
    Pacman, Pokemon, Pikmin, and uh... Matt Parkman, from Heroes
  • edited November 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Pacman, Pokemon, Pikmin, and uh... Matt Parkman, from Heroes

Thanks now I'm reminiscing about Heroes.... :(
  • edited November 2010
    Moob22 wrote: »
    Thanks now I'm reminiscing about Heroes.... :(

And how bad it got at the end :D
  • edited November 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    ...Matt Parkman, from Heroes

He'd have a bit of an unfair advantage, don't you think?
  • edited November 2010
    And how bad it got at the end :D

What do you mean at the end? It's worst season (although I liked it) was the Second Season OF FOUR, and no one ever bothered to show up in later seasons when it got better again.
  • edited November 2010
    What do you mean at the end? It's worst season (although I liked it) was the Second Season OF FOUR, and no one ever bothered to show up in later seasons when it got better again.

The writer's strike killed the second season. If it hadn't happened then the entire series would have went in a different direction. :(
  • edited November 2010
    If Mario's too dull as a personality in computer games, perhaps they could make a game out of "The Mario Bros Super Show"?!
  • edited November 2010
    I wouldn't mind seeing Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation join the fray. Granted, he'd have to be portrayed in his traditional 2D stickman persona, probably with super-framey animations like Nelson Tethers or Mr. Game & Watch, but he'd still work well as the extremely bitter, sarcastic foil to the other players.

Huh. That sounds awesome.

If Mario's too dull as a personality in computer games, perhaps they could make a game out of "The Mario Bros Super Show"?!

I lol'd. I don't think that Mario would work either. I would prefer Wario or Cranky Kong over Mario himself anyways!
  • edited November 2010
    I thought Guybrush would be a likely candidate (not saying the current roster is bad, I think it's great) but being a pirate would be awsome if he was included or at least in an update which included him. I know they would need to ask LucasArts for permission but after doing Tales of Monkey Island he would be interesting to have.
  • edited November 2010
    I dunno, I imagine the best he could do for a bluff would be telling us to look behind ourselves to see a three-headed monkey.
  • edited November 2010
    If they got permission from BBC maybe they could get the Doctor in his Eleventh incarnation cause currently they're still doing the episodic video games so they could the Doctor here as an excuse to promote the episodic video games.

Also another cool addition, Eddie Riggs from Brutal Legend. Would be brosome!
  • edited November 2010

thanks man
  • edited November 2010
    pepsiboy3 wrote: »
    thanks man

See what you've done, Highway? This won't end well. At all.
  • edited November 2010
    Max and Tycho are horrified that they'd be so inconsiderate as to run over the table.

Also, I think I should mention how "The Inventory" doesn't seem restricted to "real" video game characters, as licensed video games are apparently allowed. The Heavy is the only one of the four in Poker Night to actually originate from a video game.

I really like Tycho and Max's "...the fuck?" look.
  • edited November 2010
    Manny Calavera would be pretty awesome.
  • edited November 2010
    Well damn it, You beat me to it.
    I was gonna say Manny as well. XD

As for my own personal line up...
    Well, let me say this the only way I know how.
    By photoshoppin' ! XD

pokerface.png
  • edited November 2010
    See what you've done, Highway? This won't end well. At all.

I'm SO SORRY!!! :p
  • edited November 2010
    Serec wrote: »
    Well damn it, You beat me to it.
    I was gonna say Manny as well. XD

As for my own personal line up...
    Well, let me say this the only way I know how.
    By photoshoppin' ! XD

(Awesome photo of awesomeness)

That's very pretty photoshoppin', my friend!
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    I think Link would have a very good Poker face.

And Yoshi. I would die happy if I got to animate Yoshi playing poker.
  • edited November 2010
    bubbledncr wrote: »
    I think Link would have a very good Poker face.

And Yoshi. I would die happy if I got to animate Yoshi playing poker.

This is straying off the subject a little, but Yoshi did appear as a playable character in a Mahjongg game that was only released in Japan, called Yakuman DS (for the DS) back in 2005.

I don't have the game and I strongly doubt they were particularly animated. That said, that may very well be as close as it gets for the Mario cast to appear in a straight-up gambling game, little minigames of that nature aside in other titles.

Just thought I'd drop that bit of trivia for you.
  • edited November 2010
    What about Darth Vader? Does he count as a video-game character?
  • edited November 2010
    If Max, Tycho, and Strong Bad count, then I don't see why Vader wouldn't.
  • edited November 2010
    Jack Sparrow! He'd almost steal Strong Bad's show on great original one-liners.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.