Tycho's future with Telltale

Since Tycho appears in this, with a character model and everything, does this mean that he might show up in other Telltale games? Or is this just a one-shot deal?

And, if he does end up in another Telltale title, will we be seeing other PA characters, like Gabe, Charles, Annarchy, etc.?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    OttersPod wrote: »
    Since Tycho appears in this, with a character model and everything, does this mean that he might show up in other Telltale games? Or is this just a one-shot deal?

And, if he does end up in another Telltale title, will we be seeing other PA characters, like Gabe, Charles, Annarchy, etc.?

This could be a bit of a experiment with Tycho. I wouldn't be surprised if Telltale wanted to pick up a series of Penny Arcade games.
  • edited November 2010
    I bet 10 dollars he appears in murder at the inventory.
  • edited November 2010
    koiboi59 wrote: »

Murder at the inventory was never announced. Just thought of by telltale forum users.
  • edited November 2010
    I would throw all my money at everyone if Telltale decided to finish off On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Starting a new series all together would probably work out better though.
  • edited November 2010
    It's definitely possible, but I sort of doubt it since Telltale's trying to be taken more seriously as a developer.

Do you remember the trailer they had to announce their deal with Universal? They showed off clips from Sam and Max, TOMI, Wallace and Gromit, and even CSI...but no Strong Bad. I'm not sure why there was no mention of SBCG4AP, but if I was to wager a guess it's that developing a game based on a Web cartoon, even one as popular as Homestar Runner, doesn't look good on a game developer's resume. Even though Penny Arcade is about as mainstream as an Internet work can get, it'd probably have the same sort of perceived effect on Telltale's reputation.

I'd love if a Penny Arcade game happened, though. But what could it be about? (I'm assuming it wouldn't be a continuation of On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.)
  • edited November 2010
    A Penny Arcade point-n'-click game would involve arguing whether blue is a flavor or not.
  • edited November 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Murder at the inventory was never announced. Just thought of by telltale forum users.

i know, but i have a good feeling that if poker night is a hit then murder at the inventory will be next, or at least 5th. I mean that make a scene was practically just like it.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm sure a few people know what PAX is Penny Arcade is a bit more well known even if you don't read the comics.
  • edited November 2010
    I would throw all my money at everyone if Telltale decided to finish off On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Starting a new series all together would probably work out better though.

Agreed. Even if they decided to finish RSPD, they'd have to re-do Tycho's model almost completely (It's not bad, but it looks more like good fanart than Krahulik-style Tycho), and, since it's a company that seems to lean more toward 3D than 2D gaming (but I could be wrong; Poker Night is my first foray into Telltale's games), it probably wouldn't have the pretty cutscenes that the first two episodes had, which would lead to the inevitable whining and complaining from the fans...who whine and complain no matter what happens, really.

But about Telltale going for more of a serious approach, Penny Arcade does have the potential to be pretty serious and BA when it comes to story-telling. I mean, there's the Cardboard Tube Samurai, and even some of the Precipice chapters get pretty intense.
  • edited November 2010
    but if I was to wager a guess it's that developing a game based on a Web cartoon, even one as popular as Homestar Runner, doesn't look good on a game developer's resume.
    As a game developer myself, I have to disagree at least somewhat. Any game looks good on a resume if it's a good game. There was probably some other reason.
  • edited November 2010
    furrykef wrote: »
    As a game developer myself, I have to disagree at least somewhat. Any game looks good on a resume if it's a good game. There was probably some other reason.

Maybe the fact that they are a fair bit more well known to Telltale fans then Strong Bad is?
  • edited November 2010
    I'm guessing it has more to do with the Strong Bad series not containing many remotely-serious-looking action or dramatic moments.
  • edited November 2010
    OttersPod wrote: »
    Agreed. Even if they decided to finish RSPD, they'd have to re-do Tycho's model almost completely (It's not bad, but it looks more like good fanart than Krahulik-style Tycho), and, since it's a company that seems to lean more toward 3D than 2D gaming (but I could be wrong; Poker Night is my first foray into Telltale's games), it probably wouldn't have the pretty cutscenes that the first two episodes had, which would lead to the inevitable whining and complaining from the fans...who whine and complain no matter what happens, really.

But about Telltale going for more of a serious approach, Penny Arcade does have the potential to be pretty serious and BA when it comes to story-telling. I mean, there's the Cardboard Tube Samurai, and even some of the Precipice chapters get pretty intense.

Even though it's not connected to any of the main Penny Arcade characters, "Automata" is just brilliant.

And yeah, Telltale's only done 3D games, although Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People had cel-shaded graphics to make it look as much like a Homestar Runner cartoon as possible.
  • edited November 2010
    koiboi59 wrote: »

Wrong he will be in the TTG-hidden object game "They're propably hiding a cow at the inventory"
  • edited November 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Wrong he will be in the TTG-hidden object game "They're propably hiding a cow in the inventory"

Mr. Featherly deserves his own game.
  • edited November 2010
    Mr. Featherly deserves his own game.

Right. He would be a great main character for this game.
  • edited November 2010
    Finding the giant, comically-obvious cow in a small room would be a logical next step for Telltale's current trajectory of puzzle design.
  • edited November 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Wrong he will be in the TTG-hidden object game "They're propably hiding a cow at the inventory"

yes, tycho would have been the cow all along!
  • edited November 2010
    No, Heavy is cow.

(In fact, entire team is cow!)
  • edited November 2010
    what the eff?
  • edited November 2010
    furrykef wrote: »

Maybe Heavy and Max will talk about how they've both been turned into credit cards.
  • edited November 2010
    Moob22 wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that they are a fair bit more well known to Telltale fans then Super Bad is?

Super Bad? Its Strong Bad.
  • edited November 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Super Bad? Its Strong Bad.

I think that was him praising Ongstray Adbay.
  • edited November 2010
    Moob22 wrote: »
    Maybe the fact that they are a fair bit more well known to Telltale fans then Strong Bad is?

I don't know what you're talking about..... hehehehe
  • edited November 2010
    I know it would be weird and confusing if Telltale picked up the 'on a rain slick precipice of darkness' universe, but I really enjoyed both games and the setting. 1920s + steampunk? How can I lose? It wouldn't have to be based on episode 3 chapters on the on the site, I just like that universe.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.