Yes, Daedalic!

edited November 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
I must say, I'm positively surprised at how the German TOMI has turned out.

Granted, I'm still playing "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" and haven't gotten to the other parts yet, I find myself clicking through all the possible dialogue lines, and what I've heard so far is what I like: choice of voices and translation (minus some tiny intonation flaws and things like that) really makes the game feel fine.

Norman does a fantastic job as Guybrush and I've been very satisfied with the performance of the other voice actors so far.

Even Laserschwert is happy after some _serious_ doubts he uttered in a long discussion we had on this topic! (After he saw some gameplay footage on YouTube, I got this strange text message "Can't resist - gonna buy it!" :p)

What about our other German fellows in here?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    The very first thing I noticed was the typo in the manual xD They wrote "LeCuck" in the summary of SoMI - good thing his name isn't LeChock, that would've been awkward!

I am very happy with the dub, most of the voices are so similar to the original.
    Funny, how the backside of the cover mentions "mit allen bekannten Sprechern" ... known/familiar voice actors from what exactly? It's only Norman Matt who has a comeback. But it's easy getting used to the new voices (because they are so close to the original!). Elaine sounds much younger now |D... whereas Morgan sounds older and more mature. DeSinge sounds interesting. He's not so squeeky, but the accent is very nice and doesn't seem exaggerated.

The subs are a little bit confusing, since they're not really exactly what the characters are saying.
    And the names change from episode to episode. In Launch of the Screaming Narwhal they still call it Crossroads, whereas in Rise of the Pirate God they call it Scheideweg. And sometimes characters cut each others sentences off to early. In The Trial an Execution of Guybrush Threepwood there was a line still in English. xD"

Oddly, Guybrush seems to have a little bug while walking. At least with me it's like this. The animation keeps cutting of, like there are some parts of the motion missing. It worked fine with the original, though.

So, that's my impression. There are a few flaws, but the greatness outweights. I'll try to get as much out of the game as possible, finding my favourite easter eggs and lines and laugh about them again.
    The translation is done very well. Sure, some puns got lost - but they managed to keep the U-Tube joke! XD
    Also it's lovely, that they even localised the signs.
    Again, GREAT voice acting. Love it. Worth the money.
  • edited November 2010
    DeSinge sounds interesting. He's not so squeeky, but the accent is very nice and doesn't seem exaggerated.

That's because it's actually a French voice actor. ;-)
    I wrote my first post in this thread right before I entered DeSinge's lab and have to say that his voice is very close to the English one, but I definitely miss Jared's hilarious lunatic voice here. The German DeSinge sounds more like "scientist" rather than a "lunatic."
    Oddly, Guybrush seems to have a little bug while walking. At least with me it's like this. The animation keeps cutting of, like there are some parts of the motion missing. It worked fine with the original, though.

So I'm not the only one noticing that. I had this bug while Guybrush was running along the dock: his poxed arm was just hanging down off him, hardly moving at all.

What hurts a little is that in the cutscenes, the background music is over sooner than the spoken text, or in other words: since German phrases are usually longer than English ones, there's a little synchronisation problem here.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I'll retain my serious doubts after listening to youtube game scenes. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    It has been two days since the release of TOMI in German. I was looking forward to this date - my English is not perfect but somehow I manged to understand most of the original game with the help of sublines and an online-dictionary "how to talk like a pirate". ^^

And then came the German version. But I'm a little disappointed. "Komplett deutsche Version mit allen bekannten Sprechern" - Norman Matt as the voice of Guybrush Threepwood is the only familiar voice. At least he is involved in the dubbings again, I like his voice very much. It's too bad that Deadalic replaced every familiar character's voice, even though you could count the familiar characters to be dubbed on one hand: Guybrush Threepwood, Elaine Marley, LeChuck, The Voodoo-Lady, Murray and Stan. (... okay, you need TWO hands to count them all together;-) Was it really that difficult to reunite five voice actors in one studio? It's a shame.

Though the new voice actors do a good job and they are actually familiar. If you listen close, you will recognize some characters of "The Simpsons".

I know it's difficult to translate something from one language to another, so I won't complain about bad translations for some jokes and textlines. But in the Original version the voices sound all more "piraty", what I don't like of the German version, because some of the pirates sound not like "salty sea dogs".

That's my first impression of the German version.
  • edited November 2010
    I think none of us understand how Daedalic can put "mit allen bekannten Sprechern" on the label when the only reoccuring voice is Norman Matt as Guybrush.
    However, the German voice actor of LeChuck died a couple of months ago and to be honest, I personally disliked the German voice of Elaine in the previous German versions (Frauke Pohlmann).

Sure, German will never sound as "piratey" as English, I see where you are going with that. Still, I wonder: if we had first played the German version and then the English one - maybe we would judge differently about this?
  • edited November 2010
    Mermaid wrote: »
    Sure, German will never sound as "piratey" as English, I see where you are going with that. Still, I wonder: if we had first played the German version and then the English one - maybe we would judge differently about this?

Guess so, too. It's just like reading the book before you go to the movies and otherwise.

I've played COMI first in German, than some month ago in English, and I love both. But TOMI i prefer in English now.

And dying - as apperently in the case of LeChuck's original German voice actor in the previous games - is a quite good excuse for not appearing in a sequel. I didn't know. How sad.

I didn't dislike Elaine's original German voice, but her new voice is okay. Murray's voice is quite similar, but simply not the same. I guess I'm just upset because of the advertise of Deadalic. This doesn't mean that the German edition is completely messed up.
  • edited November 2010
    Hey there.

I just watched some teasers of the German version on Youtube. Seems like a job well done to me. Having Norman back as Guybrush is great.

Well I'm not going to buy it now, because I already played it in English of course. Maybe for budget price later on. But I will most certainly recommend it to some of my friends.

As for Daedalic's advertising - well maybe they were thinking that after such a long time nobody would notice..? Not ok but oh well... - I am just glad we do have a German version now. It sure does get some more $$$ in for Telltale / Lucas Arts so that there is even more reason for a second season. I am looking forward to it.
  • edited November 2010
    I am just glad we do have a German version now. It sure does get some more $$$ in for Telltale / Lucas Arts so that there is even more reason for a second season. I am looking forward to it.

So am I. What I like about the German DVD are the goodies on it like the videos and audio comments of the Telltale Game-Team who's been working on TOMI. And all "I wonder what happens" Flash movies of Majus are included, too. Nice idea!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.