Almost complete list of Monkey Island fangames

Well, someone had to do it, right? :)

Da LIST

Let me know if there are others. I'm sure I missed some but they're so hard to find!

Seeing all this stuff... man... it's awesome. And free Haha!

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I remember a game called "brother island" that was sorta a mi ripoff/fan game.
    it was made with TGF, somewhen in 2001-2002. that's all i remember
  • edited November 2010
    I wish all these people would get together and COMPLETE one awesome game... instead of all start what looks like something cool and abandon it.
  • edited November 2010
    Actually, while it is still technically alive, 'Darkness of Monkey Island' has actually been suspended by the team working on it, and it may not be revived (actually, I think I'm willing to bet that it will never see the light of day, unfortunately).

Also, for all who wish to know, 'Return to Monkey Island' is apparently going to get an English translation soon, according to team. Though, five months have passed since that initial post, so... we'll just have to see what happens there. Either way, the game looks great.

I've also been following 'Picaroon: The Lost Years' for over a year now, and I'm really looking forward to it. At least there's one awesome-looking fan project that is looking like it may reach completion, or at least an Episode 1.

'IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG: The Game!' is one of the few awesome Monkey Island fan games that have actually been released as a finished product. I mean, it was very short, yes, but it was still on of the most professional-looking fan games that I've ever seen. And it was a great teaser for RotPG teaser (the IWWH video). For all who are interested, here's the thread in which all of the action and hype took place.

By the way, thanks for posting 'Carnaval Vudú', Wolfy! I wasn't even aware of this project, but might I say it looks awesome! Well, as awesome as fan projects go. I really look forward to the English translation so that I can actually play the thing (or maybe I should just learn Spanish :D).

Also, we have a LOT of fan game titles posted here, whether they be completed, ceased & desisted, released in demo form, etc. They were posted by a very dedicated fan gamer.

And, one more thing. While it is no longer in production, I thought you all might appreciate seeing some concept art from a fan project by the name of 'Amulet of Monkey Island'. More here, here and here. As for why this was never completed, I'm pretty sure it was another C&D. *Sigh*, I hate LucasArts.

'Prisoner of Monkey Island' was also another interesting-looking project, but I'm not exactly sure what's happening with it at the moment. There's meant to be some sort of demo download on the website, but the link is broken :(.

Also, Irishmile, I agree. There's so much talent out there, and so many have attempted to make excellent fan games, but the best have either died or been stopped, and the ones that have been released have mostly been mediocre. If only, like you said, a large, dedicated team of fans could get together and actually bring us something of significant value.
  • edited November 2010
    Wow, thanks Hayden! Cool info! I'll update it as soon as I can.

The main problem with fangames is the communication between fans. If it weren't for the distance, we'd probably be able to finish a decent looking fangame.

Either way, such a game is definitely on my "to do" list. Tried it four times, didn't work so well. I'm working right now on the Kauff&Gustav Game, but working by yourself sucks. Jasmin (Skitty) helps out pretty much and there are others who helped a LOT with the story, jokes, puzzles etc. Putting it all together is the difficult part.

However, nostalgia really hit me when I found these old fangames, so I'm gonna try them out again. :) Being a fan is awesome! Being a fan and having a life is even awesome-er-ness-ness...something...

But being a fan, having a life and making a cool fangame is the equivalent of reaching Enlightenment nowadays. We'll get there...we will :D
  • edited November 2010
    No problem :). Also, I thought you might like to know that the 'Fate of Monkey Island' games are not lost - they are still available for download, along with other Monkey Island fan projects right here.

Update: Even 'Legend of LeChuck' is there in its demo form!
  • edited November 2010
    Updated :) credits to you too, of course.

34 fangames should keep the fans busy till ToMI2...
  • edited November 2010
    Cirque de Zale is like Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer, but it's very much a MI-style game.

Nice list, I think Night of the Hermit was the first AGS game I played. :D
  • edited November 2010
    There is a trailer on youtube for a prequel game, featuring living Murray and living LeChuck, which I don't think happened.

I also remember playing a rather sweet little game where Max is searching for Sam, and has to persuade Guybrush to help him defeat LeChuck....
  • edited November 2010
    There`s a german Monkey Island Fan-Adventure called
    "The Voodoo of Monkey Island" ...

Some screens and a Tech-Demo are avaible...
    but i don`t know if the project is already active :confused:

SCREEN1

SCREEN2

SCREEN3

TECH-DEMO
  • edited November 2010
    Ravey, I usually target the fangames in which you control a MI character. Thank you anyway :)

FitzoliverJ, can you give us a link, please? If I get the title maybe I can look for it.

Todesreiter, thanks! Added to the list! Looks awesome!
  • edited November 2010
    Monkey Island Zero - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eTv1ZO45Y8

But I can't remember where I found the other thing. It was a website with lots of Lucasarts-inspired fangames
  • edited November 2010
    Todesreiter, thanks for showing us that, it does look very, very nice for a fan game. Of course, I can't understand a word, so I just explored the environment, and I think I can say that Melee town actually looks better than it did in 'Secret of Monkey Island'. It's stuff like this that makes me wish I spoke a second language.

Oh, and Silverwolfpet, as Guybrush would say, nice update.
  • edited November 2010
    Good work putting all these together! I can't think of any other MI fangame though I'm sure I played a lot of those...
    Anyway, great idea collecting them! Gives us something to do until season 2 is being released.:)
  • edited November 2010
    Glad you like them, dudes and dudettes! There are some other games, but they're really really bad, that's why they didn't make it to the list.

One particular game asks you to exit the screen three times to the right and you win... Shortest. Game. Ever.

It would be awesome to gather a small group of people and make a very tiny, short, cool fangame. Or maybe episodes. I dunno... I feel like making something cool! :D
  • edited November 2010
    One particular game asks you to exit the screen three times to the right and you win... Shortest. Game. Ever.

It's a game nonetheless! :D
    It would be awesome to gather a small group of people and make a very tiny, short, cool fangame. Or maybe episodes. I dunno... I feel like making something cool! :D

I'm too lazy to change threads right now, but isn't there some big project like that still in process?
  • edited November 2010
    Let's make "Telltale Fan's Quest" game

Plot: Fan can't wait for TOMI Season 2, so he needs to do the THE TWO TRIALS!!! - to kidnap Marty and Doc so there wouldn't be BTTF game, take the DeLorean and go back to kick some dinosaur a$$
  • edited November 2010
    Ummm... sure... errrr... interesting that you mentioned these...ideas. Heh...

>.>
  • edited November 2010
    Crap. I still get 50%, right?

30%?

OK, two. And I get to keep this old bird cage.
  • edited November 2010
    Let's make "Telltale Fan's Quest" game

Plot: Fan can't wait for TOMI Season 2, so he needs to do the THE TWO TRIALS!!! - to kidnap Marty and Doc so there wouldn't be BTTF game, take the DeLorean and go back to kick some dinosaur a$$

Guybrush can go back in time and find out who won the America's cup.
  • edited November 2010
    Very nice. I usually go to another site for LA fangames, which has a more complete list of them (and I suspect you used it as a reference), but this will be probably easier for global users to find.

For MI Zero there is a demo/Christmas special available on its site, it serves to show how the gameplay works.

Also, the "Return to MI" link is wrong.
    Hayden wrote: »
    Actually, while it is still technically alive, 'Darkness of Monkey Island' has actually been suspended by the team working on it, and it may not be revived (actually, I think I'm willing to bet that it will never see the light of day, unfortunately).

'Prisoner of Monkey Island' was also another interesting-looking project, but I'm not exactly sure what's happening with it at the moment. There's meant to be some sort of demo download on the website, but the link is broken :(.

Darkness of MI was declared officially dead. They did promise a demo though...
    EDIT: But even that is highly unlikely to be released.

The demo of "Prisoner of MI" is not available on purpose, as it was a demo of an outdated version of the game.
  • edited November 2010
    Also, the "Return to MI" link is wrong.

I don't get it, I checked it myself... I'll replace it as soon as I can. Thanks!

I'll also update the Darkness of MI data. Too bad.
  • edited November 2010
    Darkness of MI was declared officially dead. They did promise a demo though...
    EDIT: But even that is highly unlikely to be released.

Are you sure it was declared officially dead? I thought that development was just suspended and it was just declared 'as good as dead'. Eh, either way, it's dead :(.

Also, Silverwolfpet, it seems your list is attracting some attention within the MI community.

And, by the way, the developers of 'Monkey Island - Carnaval Vudú' have an official website of their own:

Spanish
    English (Google Translation)
  • edited November 2010
    Well, I found anouther german MI-Fangame: It´s called The Secret of Mount Monkey, but was not finished. There is still a demo available: http://www.dreiinselreich.de/data/mountmonkey.rar the password is "www.dreiinselreich.de"

mount_monkey_1.jpg

The Story takes place 40 years after the happening on MI2. Simon the Sorcerer discovers a danger in the sky, which is threatening the hole world. He visits Lorraine Threepwood, the daughter of Guybrush and Elaine. She needs to help him saving the world, by searching the ingredients for a magic potion. Their journey takes them to Meleé Island, where Guybrush is running a grog-bar, taking a rest from his piraty life. She meets old friends in Maniac Mansion, her ex-lover Indiana Jones, the world of Zak MacKraken and is visitng foreign countries.

Die Geschichte spielt etwa 40 Jahre nach den Ereignissen auf Monkey Island. Der Zauberer Simon the Sorcerer entdeckt eine Gefahr am Himmel, die die Welt bedroht. Er sucht Lorraine Threepwood auf, die Tochter von Guybrush Threepwood. Sie soll ihm helfen die Bedrohung von der Welt fernzuhalten und muss für ihn verschiedene Zutaten für einen Zaubertrank besorgen.
    Die Reise führt sie auf die Insel Meleé Island (Monkey Island), wo ihr Vater inzwischen Besitzer einer Grog-Bar geworden ist und sich vom damaligen Piratenleben erholt. Sie trifft auf alte Bekannte im Maniac Mansion, ihren alten Liebhaber Indiana Jones, die Welt von Zak McKracken, und reist in fremde Länder.
  • edited November 2010
    I also found the fangame Sam - The Pirate Monkey:

Sam the Pirate Monkey is a point'n'click adventure game in the style of Sierra's and Lucasart's games from the early/middle 90's. It's been made using Adventure Game Studio, an adventure game creation tool written by Chris Jones. Sam the Pirate Monkey was made for a monthly contest called MAGS and actually won the August edition together with another game.

Story:

Sam is a young monkey with high ambitions. He wants to be a pirate. In this game you're helping Sam out in his quest for piracy!

sam.gif

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-29465/asylum/infmonkey.html
  • edited November 2010
  • edited November 2010
    And the next (german) one:
    Sherman Bragbone - A Cupful of Trouble
    http://www.sherman-toothrot.de/
    The story:
    In "Sherman Bragbone" takes place in the 17th century, where the sea is cruised by boldly pirates. Driven by avarice and the thirst for glory (and rum) they battle each day against the ships of the great seafaring nations, defenceless salesmen and outher unfortunates people.The hole westindian island equate a boiling pot, where adventurers get their money's worth.

Die Story:
    In „Sherman Bragbone“ wird der Spieler in die chaotische Karibik des 17. Jahrhunderts versetzt, wo die Gewässer von verwegenen Piraten befahren werden. Von Gier und Ru(h)msucht getrieben, liefern sie sich tagtäglich Fehden mit den Schiffen der großen Seefahrernationen, schutzlosen Händlern und anderen Unglücklichen. Die ganzen Westindischen Inseln gleichen einem Hexenkessel, wo Abenteurer voll auf ihre Kosten kommen.

2A2B7DF3CD1A8FBD57DEAAABA8C3FC95_tn.jpg
    shermanshuette.jpg
    bg-Conceptart.jpg
    The screenshots are amazing. It´s a pitty, that it hasn´t been finished, yet!
    There is also a technic-demo avialable: http://www.visionaire2d.net/modules.php?name=VisDownload&op=download&myfile=Sherman_Tech-Demo_V1.0.zip
  • edited November 2010
    Oh! Great backgrounds!
  • edited November 2010
    Awesome! I'll add everything to the list in short time. Thanks!! :D
  • edited November 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Are you sure it was declared officially dead? I thought that development was just suspended and it was just declared 'as good as dead'. Eh, either way, it's dead :(.

Yes, a guy who was involved in the project in a leading role said that it was impossible for the game to be made anymore. He said the reasons were it was too much big as a project and that there were problems among the team. It's all in the thread linked in the list, in the last pages of it if I recall correctly. They only declared it "suspended" because - I suppose - it's a project that brought them many viewers, and if they keep people's hopes up they will keep coming.

EDIT:
    Very nice. I usually go to another site for LA fangames, which has a more complete list of them (and I suspect you used it as a reference), but this will be probably easier for global users to find.

Well scratch the "suspect", many links come from there. :P
  • edited November 2010
    Sighs.

Yeah, some talent here, likely to go to waste.
  • edited November 2010
    Probably too late now, but I think I finally found where's I'd found games from before

www.fangames.tk
Sign in to comment in this discussion.