BTTF Fan Films

edited November 2010 in Back to the Future
Hi. So I was standing on the toilet trying to hang a clock and had this idea --

Just wondered what people know about the acceptability of Back to the Future fan films. Obviously I'm not going to SELL it, but I want to do a couple. Has there ever been any issues filmmakers have run into?

My friend looks a fair bit like Marty McFly so I was going to do one with Marty Jr assisting Doc with something. 'It's your parents, Marty Jr, something's got to be done about your parents!' perhaps :P

Just want to pay tribute that's all.

I'm about to go live and teach in Shanghai too so I would probably have a short set there too! :P Doc taking Marty on a mission spanning 1920s China -- we could have the Tans, the Tannens' Asian counterparts... -- colonial China/Europe and ancient China. Or how would people feel if I was to do Jules, Verne and, say, Marty Jr & Marlene? :P

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Hey there!

Apparently it all depends on the level of professionalism... The tributes that receive a C&D letter are usually the ones that are good.

You may find this interesting:

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2007/warhammer-fan-movie-sunk-by-copyright/

As for the subject of your tribute, do whatever you like... but I never liked the characters Jules and Verne. Just a personal opinion. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Normally, fan videos uploaded to YouTube only get taken down if they get REALLY popular. My advice is go film whatever you want, have fun making it, upload it to YouTube if you want and if it ends up getting taken down c'est la vie.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.