Can't win

So, I don't know too much about poker; though I do know that two pairs beat one pair (Max had one pair and beat me, I had two queens and two fours; he had two queens) and a straight beats a pair (I had a straight 2,3,4,5,6 and strong bad had a pair) but Strong bad beat me again. Wtf? it's only 5 bucks and I mainly got it for Tycho and Max; but c'mon, least make it work.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    By any chance, was there a side pot going on at the time?
  • edited November 2010
    Did you match the bet?
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah there was, and we were both all in.
  • edited November 2010
    Ah..quick definition of what side pot means and I got it..that's a pretty dirty rule.
  • edited November 2010
    Wasn't there a pair on the board already?

EDIT: What? No. Nothing dirty about a sidepot.
  • edited November 2010
    You can go ahead and close this thread; my bad.
  • HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, we only announce the winner of the biggest pot. If there is a side pot with a different winner, that wont get called out, but the money should all be in the correct place. You can get into some crazy sidepot situations and we didn't want to spend 10 minutes calling out a bunch of names when the pot resolves, so we took the shortcut of just announcing the winner of the big $$$
  • JubJub
    edited November 2010
    I noticed a few times, it'll announce the winner, but give the pot to somebody else. No sidepot was in play, Max and I were all In, he beat me with a flush, yet pot went my way?
  • edited November 2010
    I witnessed a very similar situation; I had 2 pair and Max had 1 pair and it announced that Max won. Only the 2 of us were in.

I was all in, so it sounds like what happens is that I go all in, 2 other players call and they bet. One of them ends up folding, then even though I end up in a 1v1 situation for the remainder of the hand it announces the other player as the winner since he won money from the player who folded earlier.

This is actually pretty confusing as a player, but I'm not sure how to fix it.
  • edited November 2010
    I witnessed a very similar situation; I had 2 pair and Max had 1 pair and it announced that Max won. Only the 2 of us were in.

I was all in, so it sounds like what happens is that I go all in, 2 other players call and they bet. One of them ends up folding, then even though I end up in a 1v1 situation for the remainder of the hand it announces the other player as the winner since he won money from the player who folded earlier.

This is actually pretty confusing as a player, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

That's called a side pot. It is in the rules of poker. No fix.
  • edited November 2010
    The-J23 wrote: »
    That's called a side pot. It is in the rules of poker. No fix.
    Indeed, it's not the side pot that's the problem, it's just the game only gives results for one of the pots. And since this situation often arises when one of the players with little money goes all-in and then the side pot ends up bigger, the side pot gets the results and the primary pot doesn't. Once you know that's why it's happening and know to expect it, it's no biggie as the game pays out correctly. But for people new to the game or new to poker it's going to be confusing.
  • edited November 2010
    Once against Max, we were both holding a queen which formed a straight, but my kicker was better, and it was a draw or something, no winner was announced and I didn't get the pot. I also know nothing about poker rules, so is this some weird rule?
  • edited November 2010
    Once against Max, we were both holding a queen which formed a straight, but my kicker was better, and it was a draw or something, no winner was announced and I didn't get the pot. I also know nothing about poker rules, so is this some weird rule?
    Did both of your straights have the same value high card? If so, then I think this would still be a draw as I believe only the best five-card hand matters. With a straight I don't think there is a kicker.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, no such thing as a kicker when you have a straight. You only get to use five cards to make your hand.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.