Did the creators read fanfiction when they made ToMI?

I remember javelin16 writing a question a few months ago:

"I remember reading a fanfic a while back called 'The Magic of Monkey island' by Heather Oglevie. That story and ToMI have some very similar plot points e.g Guybrush dies, Elaine turns into LeChuck's Demon Bride, Elaine breaks Guybrush's heart by betraying him and choosing LeChuck over him, their wedding ring has great significance etc. So, did the creators read this story or are the similarities just a coincidence?"

For me, I don't honestly think that the idea of the relationship between Elaine and LeChuck in this game was a new one, or one that was created by a fanfiction author. What do you guys think? :)

Comments

• edited November 2010
    For legal reasons, it's best for professional writers not to read fanfiction about their characters, or if they do, not to admit it. The problem is that if they say they have read some fanfic, and then later they write something that resembles a fanfic writer's story (which, as you suggest, is not unlikely as a coincidence), they can be sued. This has happened, and it's not common for the fanfic writer to win, but it's a huge and expensive pain in the butt for all involved.

By the same token, it's also best for fanfic writers not to send their stories to the writers of the source material. They probably know better than to read it, but if they do read it, it puts both of you in an awkward position. What if they were planning to use a similar plotline? Then they have to choose between not writing what they want, or making you wonder if they stole your idea.

For the record, I think fanfiction is great fun. But it should be kept among fans.
  • edited November 2010
    When ToMI was first announced I thought it was designed to look like a hoax - Guybrush has his Curse look with the MI2 outfit, which every fan ever had used when they made fake MI5s.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.