No demo?

I went to the store page for this game and saw there was a demo available. I downloaded the demo only to find that I could not play it. It keeps asking me to buy the game.

So is there a demo for this game or not? If not, I was misled by the store page and I am very saddened by the lack of a demo.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    No demo. But the game is 5$, so why would there be? You sit at a table... and play poker. Google it for some example cutscenes if you're interested though.
  • edited November 2010
    I went to the store page for this game and saw there was a demo available. I downloaded the demo only to find that I could not play it. It keeps asking me to buy the game.

So is there a demo for this game or not? If not, I was misled by the store page and I am very saddened by the lack of a demo.

Same here.
    Shut up! May be it's a pay demo? xDD
  • edited November 2010
    No Demo. But they have the Heavy.
  • edited November 2010
    No demo. But the game is 5$, so why would there be?

To know if the game is all black and loves to crash before buying XD.
  • edited November 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    To know if the game is all black and loves to crash before buying XD.

Bah. I have a Mac and it's playing great!
  • edited November 2010
    Bah. I have a Mac and it's playing great!

there are even Mac-players with problems.
  • edited November 2010
    Hmm... Which is weird. I have the vey first intel Mac that they created almost six years ago, running os x.4 and only 2 gig of ram. Surprisingly, Sam and Max season 3 ep. 5 gave me problems, but not this.
  • edited November 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    there are even Mac-players with problems.

Yeah, they have a Mac.
  • BasBas
    edited November 2010
    I'm also annoyed that I installed the full game while it was masquerading as a demo. I'd like to test how it runs on my low end laptop before I buy. I'm probably more annoyed, however, at the fact that Telltale isn't bothering to respond to this or remove the "PC Demo" button from the page.
  • edited November 2010
    I know and it's killing me. I bought a copy of this game but my personal computer isn't connected to the net at the moment. I sent off a request for an offline code and I thought I could tool around with the demo but ah well.
  • edited November 2010
    No demo yet?
    Aka bump.
  • edited November 2010
    Gargos wrote: »
    No demo yet?
    Aka bump.

Maybe they should sort out some of the problems before releasing the demo.
  • edited November 2010
    Hmm... Which is weird. I have the vey first intel Mac that they created almost six years ago, running os x.4 and only 2 gig of ram. Surprisingly, Sam and Max season 3 ep. 5 gave me problems, but not this.

I have a macbook pro with Snow Leopard and almost the exact same as that where I have the opposite problem.

Admittedly my problem is lines through certain menu options, which effects nothing else, but it's there.
  • edited November 2010
    Financially it doesn't make sense for Telltale to do a demo. Although it seems demos are just a segment of the game (many are) but demos are usually coded and built by another team aside from the team working on the retail release. Look at how much Poker Night is, I'm not sure how much Telltale is making from Poker Night now but for a demo you would be looking at 10-15 dollars as its price to cover the demo and retail development.

Besides what would a demo entail? It would be only one hand long I'm sure, that isn't really worth the hard drive space on my computer is it? The full version gives me more then one hand and lots of replay value doesn't it? A demo for Poker Night is lose-lose, not matter what Steam says about its existence.
  • edited November 2010
    Um? We made a demo version of our DS game and it didn't take any real effort at all to cut it down from the full game to a demo. Just add a few #ifdef's to selectively include or exclude code and there you go.
    Besides what would a demo entail? It would be only one hand long I'm sure, that isn't really worth the hard drive space on my computer is it?
    Well, I'm sure a lot of people would like the reassurance that the game would actually run on their computer before buying it...
  • edited November 2010
    Havin a demo is odd for such a game, but if TT is indeed releasin one, I would imagine lastin till you bust one of the characters from the game. However, I can see players havin similar experience with the full if they intentionally l0se a hand whenever a cvharacter is almost out of money
  • edited November 2010
    Um? We made a demo version of our DS game and it didn't take any real effort at all to cut it down from the full game to a demo. Just add a few #ifdef's to selectively include or exclude code and there you go.
    It's not so easy for a poker game, where your entire game actually entails very little. The best they could do, perhaps, is add a time limit you could test play, rather than shortening the length of a game that's basically good ol' Poker.

If there's any interesting extras in the game (still have to try it out), they could disable those for a demo. But all it seems so much more effort to do all that when it's really easy to buy (by which I mean; the accepted price to buy this is nice and low).
  • edited November 2010
    DaVince wrote: »
    It's not so easy for a poker game, where your entire game actually entails very little. The best they could do, perhaps, is add a time limit you could test play, rather than shortening the length of a game that's basically good ol' Poker.

If there's any interesting extras in the game (still have to try it out), they could disable those for a demo. But all it seems so much more effort to do all that when it's really easy to buy (by which I mean; the accepted price to buy this is nice and low).

I agree. The extra would be extra cards, table, and tf weapons, which isn't a lot. I can see TT making a noninteractive demo like the old sierra ones, but done in real time; that would allow the gamer to see if the game can run on their hardware w/o givin "too much" in a demo.
  • edited November 2010
    What Turbo Texas Hold'em did for its demo version, if I recall correctly, was it only let you play a few hands and it dealt the same cards every time.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.