What's a "pat hand" anyway?

Even after getting the Slow Play achievement, I'm still not sure just what you have to do to get it. The description just says "Check a pat hand." What the heck does that even mean?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I got it when I accidentally checked with a Flush.
  • edited November 2010
    It was a poor choice of words on Telltale's part. "Pat hand" is a term used in draw, not hold'em. What it means is a straight or higher, because in five-card draw, if you were dealt these hands before the draw, you would (almost) never break these hands and draw cards. Not drawing cards is called "standing pat", so a hand you'd stand pat with is a "pat hand".
  • edited November 2010
    I think it means that you've got a really good hand (like a flush) and then you check it instead of raising as high as you can go (which is what you should do).

Edit: Gah! Ninja'd!
  • edited November 2010
    Ok, thanks. That makes sense.
  • edited November 2010
    It's a hand that is very likely to win the game. So, get a near certain winning hand and check on your turn.

Edit: Bah.
  • edited November 2010
    Slow-playing is used as a way to extricate as many chips as possible from an opponent. If you're in a winning position early on - for instance, if you make a straight or a flush on the flop - it's a good idea not to show too much strength because if you do you'll likely scare experienced players off the pot. By slow playing - checking or making small "feeler" bets - you encourage people to keep paying out chips.

I quite like check-raising - slow playing a good hand to encourage betting, and then re-raising to demonstrate strength, scare people away and claim the pot without having to show my cards.
  • edited November 2010
    Indeed, if you have a winning hand you want the other player to put in as much money as possible. The last thing you want to do is get them to flop by betting too heavily.
  • edited November 2010
    Alf Fly wrote: »
    If you're in a winning position early on - for instance, if you make a straight or a flush on the flop - it's a good idea not to show too much strength because if you do you'll likely scare experienced players off the pot.
    I would tend not to slowplay a flopped flush, especially while there's still two cards to come. If you have a flush of hearts, one more heart will kill your action (everybody knows you only need one heart for a flush) and can even cost you the pot if somebody might have a higher flush.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.