What if the BTTF movies were bad?

edited November 2010 in Back to the Future
Here's an interesting question. I think at least. I'm sure everyone on these discussions adore all the BTTF movies, just as I do, why else would we be here? But what if someone could go back in time and screw up the movies in the worst possible way. As the first movie taught us, all it takes is one thing to screw up the timeline. What could have happened to change our favorite movies of all time into possible the worst movies of all time. I'll go first!
What if Michael Bay directed the first movie? That would be a huge rompage of S&%T.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    *cough* Eric Stoltz *cough*

I'm not saying it would have been bad (he's a fine actor), just that it would have been a completely different experience. Michael J. Fox is a huge part of what makes BTTF a great movie.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    *cough*first script draft of BTTF II*cough*

That would have been a mere reproduction of the first movie.
  • edited November 2010
    If the movie had been called "Spaceman from Pluto"
  • edited November 2010
    Back to the Future starring:

Scott Baio - Marty McFly

Jeff Goldblum - Dr. Emmett L. "Doc" Brown

William Zabka - Biff Tannen

Willie Aames - George McFly

Random 80's actress - Lorraine McFly

Elizabeth Shue - Jennifer Parker

Hulk Hogan - Mr. Strickland

Need I say more, lol.
  • edited November 2010
    If the time machine was a refrigerator.
  • edited November 2010

I see what you did there lol.

I agree though...I never liked her as Jennifer. Great thing they kept her screen-time minimum.
  • edited November 2010
    Nowadays they all look prettier tho. Claudia Wells, Lea Thomson, Elizabeth Shue :D
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    NO!

Claudia Wells looks as if she went under the knive one too many times. She used to be much more beautiful
  • edited November 2010
    *cough*first script draft of BTTF II*cough*

That would have been a mere reproduction of the first movie.

where could a person read this?

Nevermind...thanks google!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    There's a link to a PDF at the end of this page, but I didn't check if it's still active:

http://bttf.wikia.com/wiki/Back_to_the_Future_Part_II_first_draft_screenplay

/edit: Duh, too late! :D
  • edited November 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    *cough* Eric Stoltz *cough*
    But if he stayed, no-one will be any of the wiser..... Like most movies really....
  • edited November 2010
    But if he stayed, no-one will be any of the wiser..... Like most movies really....

Still...it wouldn't have been as great.
  • edited November 2010
    Back to the Future starring:

Scott Baio - Marty McFly

Jeff Goldblum - Dr. Emmett L. "Doc" Brown

William Zabka - Biff Tannen

Willie Aames - George McFly

Random 80's actress - Lorraine McFly

Hulk Hogan - Mr. Strickland

Need I say more, lol.
    Hulk Hogan as Mr. Strickland! LOL that seems like a bad snl skit, or is that redundant?
  • edited November 2010
    Michael Bay presents Back to the Future! Watch Marty go back in time in a Chevy! His mom is standing on a street corner and asks him if he wants a good time! Explosions!! Boring actresses who are just there to look "pretty"!! MORE EXPLOSIONS!!!!
  • edited November 2010
    Elizabeth Shue is awesome. Ya'll should see Adventures in Babysitting!
  • edited November 2010
    You know, I didn't like Elizabeth Shue at first cause I didn't know why Claudia Wells didn't come back. I thought it was like Crispin Glover, that it was a money issue or something. But Claudia had a very good reason for leaving the profession at the time, so they had to make do.
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    If the time machine was a refrigerator.
    And then they nuke it... cause that makes the best of movies. *cough cough*
  • edited November 2010
    The DeLorean is a jeep. Also, stop-motion prehistoric times, complete with completely inaccurate sexy cave women.
  • edited November 2010
    A matter of editing can ruin any piece of cinema, really. All you really need to do is edit out a few scenes that are either repeated later or are repeated from earlier, for example. The recurring nature of the narrative is part of what makes Back to the Future so great, and all you'd need to do to ruin my favorite scene would be to cut out the part where Marty talks about not wanting to send his tape in or the scene where George talks about his writing, and there are very similar scenes of this sort that could easily have been ruined by sloppy editing.
    And then they nuke it... cause that makes the best of movies. *cough cough*
    Generally not, but if you've heavily established that the film this scene takes place in is one that relies heavily on parody serial film physics and is generally not to be taken "seriously", it works. I think sometime between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull, people forgot that Indiana Jones is a fucking parody/homage of/to old movie serials, and this gave and continues to give the series a lot of leeway in places that normally wouldn't fly.

...granted, that doesn't explain or excuse Shia LeBeouf, the one factor that completely ruined an otherwise fine film.
  • edited November 2010
    If they were bad? Well, think about this:

Someday, we could theoretically get a modern day remake, starring Michael Cera as Marty McFly, Will Ferrel as Doc Brown, Seth Rogen as Biff Tannen, Steve Carrel as George and Anna Faris as Lorianne.

Directed by Judd Apatow.
  • edited November 2010
    If they were bad? Well, think about this:

Someday, we could theoretically get a modern day remake, starring Michael Cera as Marty McFly, Will Ferrel as Doc Brown, Seth Rogen as Biff Tannen, Steve Carrel as George and Anna Faris as Lorianne.

Directed by Judd Apatow.

Happy Thanksgiving/Thursday, everyone.

Switch out Michael Cera for Shia LaBeouf, and you've got yourself a real stinker. :P
  • edited November 2010
    Switch out Michael Cera for Shia LaBeouf, and you've got yourself a real stinker. :P

The sad part?

I could actually see this happening, as Hollywood is that creatively bankrupt these days.
  • edited November 2010
    I remember that i was quite dissapointed after watching part 3 and thought it was a pretty bad movie whilst leaving the cinema. The western timeline was boring (nothing exciting new) and the rest was too much of celebrating the same things over and over again.
  • edited November 2010
    The sad part?

I could actually see this happening, as Hollywood is that creatively bankrupt these days.

Look on the bright side. That won't happen as long as Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale are alive.
  • edited November 2010
    Look on the bright side. That won't happen as long as Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale are alive.
    Why not? Universal owns the rights to the franchise, they could forget those guys any second if they wanted to. And Zemeckis? His involvement at this point in his career might make things WORSE. Use the above cast list, then make the film a mocap massacre.
  • edited November 2010
    They remake everything now, I can't think of too many recent movies that are originals. I could totally see them remaking BTTF, but I'll never go see it. It's like the talk I hear of them remaking Drop Dead Fred which I thought was pretty neat. Jennifer really didn't play a huge role in any of the movies, I think she has 2 scenes in Part I, a little bit in the future in part II, and a little bit at the end in part III. If BTTF Part I bombed, there wouldn't be a part II.
  • edited November 2010
    Why not? Universal owns the rights to the franchise, they could forget those guys any second if they wanted to. And Zemeckis? His involvement at this point in his career might make things WORSE. Use the above cast list, then make the film a mocap massacre.

That may be true, but never underestimate the power of the dollar. I would hope that if such a thing came to pass, the general moviegoing audience would put their foot down and spend their money elsewhere to give Hollywood a sign that they're sick of remakes.

It'll never happen, but one can dream. *sigh*

While Hollywood in its creative bankruptcy often remakes titles not long after they're released, BttF is one of those movies that's p. much beloved by everyone, so redoing it by changing around plot elements by using the sliding timeline concept to make 1985 into 201x and moving the action from 1955 to 1975 and shoehorning in forced juvenile humor and overblown special effects would kill what made the first movie -at least- so magical.

Not to mention the whole "reboot" trend that's in vogue right now will eventually reach a saturation point. Hopefully that'll happen before we ever get a soulless remake of BttF starring the latest faux-indie actors and a big name SNL has-been to play an equally soulless Doc Brown.
  • edited November 2010
    Why not? Universal owns the rights to the franchise, they could forget those guys any second if they wanted to.

Gale said that they have something or other in their contract where they have to approve everything related to the franchise, and they refuse to approve another sequel or a remake. Universal COULD probably buy them out of that with very little effort, but still.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.