Any chance of a "Back to the Future - animated series" DVD release?

edited November 2010 in Back to the Future
Just wondering as Telltale started selling the animated Sam & Max series on DVD on their site here when they made the S&M stuff.

I'll be honest in that I can't remember anything about the animated series, I saw some of it on TV years and years ago but I'm completely blank.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's horrible but would still be cool to have on DVD... it's apparently never released on DVD so far.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I'd be game for a DVD release. It's no 'Beetlejuice' or 'Real Ghostbusters', but it is what it is: a Saturday morning cartoon adaptation from the 90's.

It did get p. ridiculous at certain points (a Tannen in ancient Rome?) so you kinda have to recalibrate your suspension of disbelief -esp. if you liked the fairly plausible science of the movies-, but I liked the kids. I usually hate kid characters in cartoons -especially from the late 80's-early 90's- but Jules and Verne were kinda adorable at times.

Plus, yanno... Bill Nye.

Only thing I didn't like was Dan Castlanetta as Doc. I can live with the hindsight awkwardness of Danny Phantom as Marty, but Dan was much better at Genie than he was at Doc.
  • edited November 2010
    Only thing I didn't like was Dan Castlanetta as Doc. I can live with the hindsight awkwardness of Danny Phantom as Marty, but Dan was much better at Genie than he was at Doc.

The guy who voices Homer Simpson voiced Doc? I've never seen the cartoon, but now I'm much more inclined to see it.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah. Weird thing is they got Christopher Loyd to do live action segments at the beginning and end of every episode to set up the plot (silly situations and cheesy catch phrases included), just not the voice acting during the animated part.
  • edited November 2010
    mathman77 wrote: »
    The guy who voices Homer Simpson voiced Doc? I've never seen the cartoon, but now I'm much more inclined to see it.

Yup.

And in a bit of meta-humor, he does sneak in at least one 'D'oh' in one of the episodes, iirc.
  • edited November 2010
    Tyrfing42 wrote: »
    Yeah. Weird thing is they got Christopher Loyd to do live action segments at the beginning and end of every episode to set up the plot (silly situations and cheesy catch phrases included), just not the voice acting during the animated part.

Yes indeed, never made much sense to me, especially since they got Mary Steenburgen to do Clara and Thomas Wilson to do Biff(and the other Tannens).
  • edited November 2010
    i found a vhs of 2 episodes of bttf cartoon, and my 5 year old LOVES it.... hes watched it once a day for a week now... he wants more, doesn't understand that i can only find the one tape and not the whole dvd series like all his other stuff.

this needs to happen so im not a terrible father!!!
  • edited November 2010

Crikey, Doc too? He was the male voice of the 90s.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Well, I of course hope that it'll be available on DVD for you guys, but the animated series was absolutely nothing for me. No € for that. :(
  • edited November 2010
    Yes indeed, never made much sense to me, especially since they got Mary Steenburgen to do Clara and Thomas Wilson to do Biff(and the other Tannens).

If I were to hazard a guess, it's probably the same thing that happens with every big name movie-turn-cartoon series: budget.

More than likely, they could only afford Steenburgen and Wilson (and if I recall, Wilson later ventured into voice acting as Matt Bluestone in 'Gargoyles' a couple years after the BttF cartoon ended) since they're not "big-name" actors and thus don't command quite a bit of dough as everyone else.
  • edited November 2010
    I think you can find pretty much every episode on YouTube. It was pretty cheesy and there were some episodes where they didn't even travel through time but on the whole it was ok for what it was and they had a few callbacks to the movies.

Here's the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0
  • edited November 2010
    Cause it's a delorean!!!
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, I'd grab the cartoon on DVD. I liked the old cartoon growing up, granted it might not be as good as I remember it today, but it has its moments.
    mathman77 wrote: »

Yeah. I also remember him (besides Homer & Genie) as the voice of Earthworm Jim in its 90's cartoon. He even did Jim's voice in the 'ill-fated' Earthworm Jim 3D.
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    Cause it's a delorean!!!

That's one of the best bits of dialogue in the whole series. And of course, it pops into my mind every time I watch BTTF1 and Marty leaves the DeLorean sitting on the street with the door wide open.:p
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    But he probably took the keys with him. =P
  • edited November 2010
    Ya'know, I actually found that the series had slightly better episodes when there wasn't a X Tannen as the Bad Guy of the Day™. Of course out of those, there are the Horribad ones (the April Fool's Day episode is a favorite bile fascination of mine), but that's to be expected.

Plus some of the dialogue is actually pretty clever.
    Clara: Fiddlesticks! There are plenty of jobs that don't require brains.

Doc: Clara, I refuse to go into politics!

I'm ashamed to say I got a laugh out of that one. ._.
  • edited November 2010
    I lol'd
  • edited November 2010
    If I were to hazard a guess, it's probably the same thing that happens with every big name movie-turn-cartoon series: budget.

More than likely, they could only afford Steenburgen and Wilson (and if I recall, Wilson later ventured into voice acting as Matt Bluestone in 'Gargoyles' a couple years after the BttF cartoon ended) since they're not "big-name" actors and thus don't command quite a bit of dough as everyone else.

Yeah, but they already got the Doc's actor on to do the live action segments of the show.
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    ^
    But he probably took the keys with him. =P

Nope, remember, he had just a second before taking off after the Libyans been trying to get the car started. :P If I'd have been the bum, I would've hopped in the DeLorean and taken it to sell it. lol
  • edited November 2010
    I'll have to wait for my Blu-Ray set to arrive before I check. >.>
  • edited November 2010
    Tyrfing42 wrote: »
    Yeah, but they already got the Doc's actor on to do the live action segments of the show.

I'm almost certain there's probably factoring in the time to record dialogue for a close to half-hour show (about 24 minutes if you excise the commercial breaks). Not to mention including the overseas animation work (this long before they used computers to animate p. much everything) and all that.

It's a little backwards, but if any behind-the-scenes stuff ever surfaces, I'd sure be interested to know the real reason behind that particular choice.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.