How old are you guys? -- survey

edited February 2007 in Sam & Max
To me, I think the story is a bit too childish, something fifteen year olds would enjoy. Perhaps I am too old for this game (27), I dunno. So I'm kind of interested in how old you guys are who are playing the new game. My guess is 23-30, but I guess the stats will show.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    I'm 22. I don't think the story is too childish, considering that you're playing a cartoon adventure game about a talking dog and a rabbit. What do you expect from it? Dawson's Creek-style dialogue and heavy storylines?
  • edited February 2007
    I'm 17. Sam & Max Hit The Road was the second proper computer game I ever played, with Doom being the first. (the casual violence of Max and the casual massacre of "Knee Deep in the Dead" of Doom... didn't affect my childhood in the slightest. Really!) The stories do seem a little childish and wacky, but the one of Hit The Road was too: you have to find a frozen bigfoot and return him to his owners, they could get away with that in a Looney Toons show. The other LEC games were equally as wacky.
  • edited February 2007
    Incidentally, I cannot vote because my age group is not listed. :P
  • edited February 2007
    15 and just got into this beutiful thing called Adventure Games... :)
  • edited February 2007
    My age group's not listed either...
  • edited February 2007
    [...] What do you expect from it? Dawson's Creek-style dialogue and [...]?

Oh, no, I hope no one would like that. In fact, I'm pretty sure no one would like that.

:)
  • edited February 2007
    Incidentally, I cannot vote because my age group is not listed. :P

haha sorry, and it's not possible to edit the poll either :(
  • edited February 2007
    Hahaha, oops! Oh well, it's no matter.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm 35. There's no way the game's "too childish".

But I have been helping my kids out with Putt-Putt, Freddie Fish & Spy Fox in the last few weeks. And I'm being thoroughly entertained by all of them. They're aimed for young children but they're still fun to play (with the kids).
  • edited February 2007
    I'm 20, but my tastes in entertainment are much more eclectic than my age would dictate. I'm the type of person who will enjoy an opera and an art gallery soiree, then go home and play Grand Theft Auto and watch z-grade slasher films :P

As for the "childishness" of Sam & Max, sure it's cartoonish, and has cheap jokes abound, but I wouldn't call it kid-friendly either. I was rather surprised by a certain running joke in Episode 3, it seemed much less subtle than any sexual overtones in episode 1. (I don't recall any in 2)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    I updated the poll for you.
  • edited February 2007
    Vote or die.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    Also, I voted.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm 27. Loving the new S&M ( ¬_¬ ) although part 3 was far too easy (even for a casual, episodic title) and personally I think it could do with having a touch more variation to ring the changes and stop the structure getting stale. I'm not necessarily asking for the sort of point & click mind bending puzzles of old, but I would like to see more bits like the dream sequence from Ep.1 that became a stand out moment primarily it put a slightly different spin on the rest of the gameplay. Anyway, I bought the entire season so here's looking forward to a cracking closing half.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm 38 and still loving Sam & Max. One of those who played "Hit the Road" and was thrilled when they were finally brought back.

And hey - it's nice to have some silly, irrelevent humor in a game nowadays. Games like "Grand Theft Auto" and their ilk are just too depressing.
  • edited February 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I updated the poll for you.

Thanks! .
  • edited February 2007
    I'm 24, and I also don't think the Sam&Max games are too childish at all. Actually, I think part of the charm is how childish they seem on the surface, but how adult the jokes actually are.
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks for your replies, and your input to the poll. I, and most of you other guys as it seems, am very happy to see the humour back in adventure games. The ones released for the past two or three years are usually of a more serious nature, and I miss the old funny ones, so I prefer this (in my opinion sort of childish) funny style over the serious. Still, it lacks punch, and I really hate the Soda Poppers =)
  • edited February 2007
    I am 24, and don't find Telltale's Sam & Max to be childish. It's actually edgier than Sam & Max Hit the Road. In that game, you didn't even get a gun. Not that you need a gun to have a fun game, mind you.
  • edited February 2007
    mhaley wrote: »
    I am 24, and don't find Telltale's Sam & Max to be childish. It's actually edgier than Sam & Max Hit the Road. In that game, you didn't even get a gun. Not that you need a gun to have a fun game, mind you.

Yes, the gun is a good addition to the game, too bad you don't get to use it very often. The cheese problem was very clever though.
  • edited February 2007
    27 here..played hit the road when I was 13..thats my fav game, thats why I'm back here 14 years later.. Its great to have Sam & Max back..especially after what happened in that middle 13 years :eek:
  • edited February 2007
    I'm 28 and I just noticed that I am in the group most players seem to be in. Interesting, it seems most players are leftovers from the good old adventure games time, looking to re-live the fun (like me).
    Well, if subsequent games in the series get a bit harder, I will be extremely pleased with the series as a whole....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.