Fatal Conspiracy... PC-DVD?

I have come out of hiding to ask a burning question...

Okay, I went to Best Buy yesterday to look for the PC version of CSI: Fatal Conspiracy, and was told that it did not exist. Their computers showed that they only had Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 versions in stock. They seemed baffled when I told them that there should be a PC version. I Google'd for a bit, and found that some people are saying that CSI: Fatal Conspiracy is download only, while others claim to have seen a PC-DVD at Best Buy.

It's a conspiracy! No, wait, there has to be a logical explanation.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    If there's a version on disc, it's probably available in Europe.

I checked Amazon and they have a copy... for $35. The cover has a PEGI rating and the "PC CD-ROM" logo at the top that I've seen in UK/Euro games over the past few years.

Funny thing, though? The Ubisoft website for Fatal Conspiracy HAS a picture of the US PC version! Maybe you can buy a hard copy at their webstore. I tried checking but apparently they think Mexico is part of Europe and they want me to pay in Euros.
  • edited December 2010
    Best Buy actually had a PC version in their weekly ad a few weeks ago, but when I called to check they didn't have it, couldn't find in in their system, and were completely confused. I've seen some for sale from Europe but don't know if it's a real DVD or something copied onto a DVD.

Pretty crappy that it hasn't been released for PC other than d/l without even giving the system requirements on the Ubisoft site. The PC versions of the CSI games built the popularity.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm also disappointed in this Best Buy "exclusive" thing, as they do not carry it and have no idea what I am talking about when I ask for it. :(
  • edited December 2010
    gershep1 wrote: »
    Best Buy actually had a PC version in their weekly ad a few weeks ago, but when I called to check they didn't have it, couldn't find in in their system, and were completely confused. I've seen some for sale from Europe but don't know if it's a real DVD or something copied onto a DVD.

Pretty crappy that it hasn't been released for PC other than d/l without even giving the system requirements on the Ubisoft site. The PC versions of the CSI games built the popularity.

Don't worry, downloadable games often get released on disc over in Europe for some reason. I've seen pictures of actual retail versions of the Telltale Bone games sold in Europe! It might make sense to import a copy, but I'd rather wait until Ubisoft decides to bundle Fatal Conspiracy with the other games in the series.
  • edited December 2010
    Guys,
    I am disconsolate. And none of have offered any sound advice of where to buy to buy it.
  • edited December 2010
    It does appear to be the case that Ubisoft decided to sell the PC version digital-only in the US.
  • edited December 2010
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    It does appear to be the case that Ubisoft decided to sell the PC version digital-only in the US.

Jake told me that one of their producers for the CSI games told him that the retail version is a Best Buy exclusive, though I've yet to see a copy of it.
  • edited December 2010
    What I heard on another site was that those sent to Best Buy had defective sound cards and were recalled but that the English ones didn't have this defect.
  • edited December 2010
    Jake told me that one of their producers for the CSI games told him that the retail version is a Best Buy exclusive, though I've yet to see a copy of it.

Do the Xbox, WII etc versions have exclusives or are they globally available? It looks as though the PC isn't as popular as the other platforms otherwise it would have been published in physical format.
  • edited December 2010
    Now I'm seeing CSI FC for the PC for sale on Ebay from the USA. Where are these coming from? It's not Best Buy.
  • edited December 2010
    gershep1 wrote: »
    Now I'm seeing CSI FC for the PC for sale on Ebay from the USA. Where are these coming from? It's not Best Buy.

Maybe they're selling download gift codes or something? Or maybe it's the UK version of the game?
  • edited December 2010
    Nope, these seem to be legit US versions. I got this picture from one guy's auction.

The seller's name is "discount_electronics_surplus"... which may mean they got the game on clearance or something.

Edit: Yeah, many of his items appear to be stuff fished out from the returns bin or Goodwill. I think this guy got a ton of Best Buy's returns / trash items and decided to sell 'em online.
  • edited December 2010
    Foxhack wrote: »
    Nope, these seem to be legit US versions. I got this picture from one guy's auction.

The seller's name is "discount_electronics_surplus"... which may mean they got the game on clearance or something.

Edit: Yeah, many of his items appear to be stuff fished out from the returns bin or Goodwill. I think this guy got a ton of Best Buy's returns / trash items and decided to sell 'em online.

So, apparently, there was some heinous glitch, causing Best Buy to just dump every copy they had off to surplus outlets?

Can anyone from Telltale tell us what exactly is going on with this?
  • edited December 2010
    That guy should be arrested for selling fraudulent material.
  • edited December 2010
    So, apparently, there was some heinous glitch, causing Best Buy to just dump every copy they had off to surplus outlets?

Can anyone from Telltale tell us what exactly is going on with this?

The games sent to the U.S. were recalled because of a defective sound card but those from England hadn't any. That's why the one made for PC was download.
  • edited December 2010
    I hope a retail copy comes out soon because I'm not buying the game until it does. :(
  • edited January 2011
    Anyone know if the UK or Austrailian PC versions are OK?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.