How much time does it take to play an episode?

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
Hello.

Bit of an odd question because i know this is probably different for each person but ...

I was just wondering, whats the average gameplay time / estimate on each episode of the BTTF Game? Because i'm really looking forward to it. It's the thing i'm waiting for this month. :cool:

Just wanna know how long we can enjoy the wonders of BTTF per episode :D So we know whether these are short medium or long episodes.

Was hoping that one the Telltale Devs could give an answer to this (Well Kinda). :)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    What are you doing up so early. :D

I estimate the playing time around 8 hours?
    But I tend to take my time with games I like and explore every possible nook and cranny, hear all dialogues try all item combinations.
    I am going to take this more extreme with BttF probably, obviously since I am a fan of the franchise.
    I'll probably finish it twice too. I am probably going to have a blast exploring a universe I am so fond of.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Eight hours?? Jesus Christ Doc, how can you spend so much time on an episode? :D

Generally, the number is two to four hours per episode, and not more. You may hope for a replay value, though. I normally replay episodes at least once before the next one comes out. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Eight hours?? Jesus Christ Doc, how can you spend so much time on an episode? :D

Generally, the number is two to four hours per episode, and not more. You may hope for a replay value, though. I normally replay episodes at least once before the next one comes out. ;)
    I really struggle but at the same time enjoy puzzle games, it can take me 8-10 hours to play a Sam and max episode :o
    edited December 2010
    Then again, TTG has worked hard in the last four years to expand the gaming time per episode. While the early Sam & Max episodes were rather short, the later games managed to feel quite longer. Maybe we'll get an even longer episode with BTTF - or maybe these episodes are significantly shorter... we can't really know yet. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I usually complete TTG episodes at around the 4 hour mark, but spread out into two to four sessions - On the first time through, it's all about solving the puzzles and finishing the episode (to avoid too many spoilers on these forums) although I do explore and take my time a bit.

On a second play through, I like to do everything *but* solve the puzzle in order to hear the wonderful dialogue, and to try things that are completely nuts just to see if they do anything funny. Doing this with a "Did you try?" list to hand is often good too.

(Admittely I've not found time to re-play many of the games in the last few years, but may do so sometime in future when my memory of how to solve the puzzles has faded a bit :p)
  • edited December 2010
    Me, about 3-6 hours per telltale episode.
  • edited December 2010
    I usually range the same as JP 4-6.
  • edited December 2010
    And then there's the 20+ hours between episodes discussing them (and speculating on the next episode) on the TTG forums, which is a significant part of the episodic experience.

:)
  • edited December 2010
    I found that 2nd play.. if you skip dialog and know what you are doing (no walkthrough guide)

its about 30min-1hr per play for most telltale episodes
    thats what it took in testing about 1 hour.. and thats with bugs so...uhh

want to look at and do everything? longer! but they needed to add more filler in sam and max (each season had the same descriptions on items) oh look the same thing from episode 1... dull.. so I skipped most of the later season 1 views..
    took about 1hr or less. (but ive been known to test for .. the darkside) ahem sierra..
    beforrrrrrrrre the takeover! sheesh.

if you can beat a parser episodic game in 1hr hats off!
    (oooh new idea!) lol
  • edited December 2010
    I don't really see how a 2nd playthrough time, skipping dialogue, is relevant.
  • edited December 2010
    its totally relevant
    I can explain,

Sometimes when you play the FIRST time you miss viewing items or trying things on things to see what happens.
    When I did this most times Id skip the OTHER already heard dialog. Making the episode shorter

even without skipping ..its not 4+ hours unless you meander around clicking nothing.(its more close to 1-2 hours some SHORTER even listening to dialog)

most MI series took 1hr or so.. minus one or two stumper puzzles which were answered in forum (see the fire on the ship) darn that clothesline

CSI takes longer as dialog seems to be its only point of strength but even then its droll and I skipped most of it FIRST play through.

But saying its not relevant.. seems a bit callous :P
    I get your meaning but you didnt get mine XD

Peace be da' journey
    edited December 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I don't really see how a 2nd playthrough time, skipping dialogue, is relevant.

Maybe there are people just in for the actual gameplay of the episodes? ;)
  • edited December 2010
    @Origami
    What are you doing up so early.

Getting ready for work :D

Anyway, 2 hours sounds a bit short but i'm the kind of guy that explore every bit of the game, and no skipping dialogues. So i'm going to play the game slow then :p

Point and click adventure games are for the patient people, i know some friends of mine they are like "*Cutscene talk* Ohh cmon hurry up already CLICKCLICK" racing through the game, thats no fun :eek:
  • edited December 2010
    I think all are missing the point

Even my first play through ... is short without skipping anything (unless of course I missed it not like SKIP cuts or dialog)
    ONLY game IVE DONE THAT TOO is CSI.. which is DROLL

Trackah123 assuming im not patient in gaming. Assuming is bad :P well sometimes good.. but not in this case.

and im no newbie.. wow..
    anyway at least you added the smile, but you still misunderstand.

Ok for me its about 1-2 hours depending on the game NO SKIPPING..
    with skipping its 30min-1hr min if I know the puzzles as well.

And I LOVE to look at all context fillers. But you should and do know that telltale didnt add hardly anything to say.. sam and max season 1. Same buildings had same items with same descriptions. So episode 1 took me longer, than the rest. Get me ?
    argghhh...

why do people misunderstand me. Its not a gloat people. Im just stating the facts as I view them. Which makes them real, same as all your facts.
  • edited December 2010
    Kaldire wrote: »
    I think all are missing the point

Even my first play through ... is short without skipping anything (unless of course I missed it not like SKIP cuts or dialog)
    ONLY game IVE DONE THAT TOO is CSI.. which is DROLL

Trackah123
    why do people misunderstand me. Its not a gloat people. Im just stating the facts as I view them. Which makes them real, same as all your facts.

I think maybe people think its slightly dubious that you'd complete TTG episodes in an hour on your first play though without skipping or using walkthroughs.

You are in the vast minority if you can complete them that quickly.
  • edited December 2010
    Uhh... I've tested games in parser for most of my young life in socal for a small company
    again Sierra ON-LINE .. not this sierra most know now..(you force me to name drop to make myself look less like I'm lying more qualified need my resume?)

also tested many many games for major companies (small role but yea) Some you might be surprised at.

Ask any of the playtesters how long it took them to beat strong bad episode 1 2 3 4 5
    Or W&G vs say MI .. MI took longer by far than most.

its all depending on the game..
    I said one of the monkey island episodes got me really stumped and I had to come here to find the answer without google and ruining the entire game with a guide.
    its why i like the hide boxes here :P

but yep no joke.. its that fast on most episodes, unless context filler is added.
    And this thread wasn't (are you in a vast minority)
    A question was asked, I answered honestly.
    This is now the 3rd thread of harassment in 2 days..
    odd
    logic states I would be at fault but ive read my posts, and I stick by them 99%
    (always leave at least 1% in case of twins !) bad baby joke
  • edited December 2010
    @Kaldire

Everything i said was ment in general, not to you at all :eek:
    I ment it as my opinion and what my friends do mostly.

Let me explain my last post again in my point of view.
    Anyway, 2 hours sounds a bit short
    This was a reply to "Vainamoinen" post #3
    but i'm the kind of guy that explore every bit of the game, and no skipping dialogues. So i'm going to play the game slow then
    Just how i play games
    Point and click adventure games are for the patient people
    Again this was ment in general and how i think about it, not assuming anything nor an answer to someone specific :) hence the word "People" .. People=not you personal Kaldire but just in general :)
    i know some friends of mine they are like "*Cutscene talk* Ohh cmon hurry up already CLICKCLICK" racing through the game, thats no fun
    This is what most of my friends do. Also no answer to someone specific.

I'm sorry if i caused any misunderstandings.
  • edited December 2010
    Exactly 3-9 hours.

Btw i wasn't aware that my keyboard is able to produce such characters: ‰
  • edited December 2010
    you can use ascii or high ascii

TellTale Games TTG™
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I estimate the playing time around 8 hours?

I would not expect an 8 hour episode.
  • edited December 2010
    I would not expect an 8 hour episode.

Well it has to be as at least as long as the longest movie of the franchise ^^ .
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Well it has to be as at least as long as the longest movie of the franchise ^^ .

Lol, maybe once all the episodes are released and if you play them one after the other it might be 8 hours, but yeah, I don't expect one eposide to last 8 hours.
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, to be honest I am not expecting an 8 hour long ep. But apparently I already took into account my own playing style.
    So for me a 'normal' playthrough is 8 hours. But I'll be aiming for a 'slow' playthrough. :D

If these dialogues consists of stellar writing I'll probably create 100 of saves to re-experience any part of the game, just like how I have watched a couple of scenes from BttF1 over 10 times the last couple of weeks. >.>
    Mostly the Twin Pines Mall, Lone Pine Mall, skateboarding, Johnny B Goode, the bruise on your head I know how, exploring Hill Valley scenes.

No, these are not the official names for the scenes.
  • edited December 2010
    Kaldire wrote: »
    you can use ascii or high ascii

TellTale Games TTG™

Yes but contrary to more common ones like trademark i wasn't aware that a promille symbol exists nor what the keyboard combination for it is.

Still looks strange and when i'm thinking about it, it's something i've never used a lot or i've forgotten about it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.