The Cutscenes

Anyone else think that the cutscenes were probably one of the best parts of the game? Specially those in Chapters 4 and 5. Brilliant writing, directing, acting, music... Everything! It was a lot better than most of modern movies.

That's why I love TellTale: Everything is so well done, that it doesn't matter if the graphics aren't the best. A lot of modern games just focus on making super-hiper-ultra realstic graphics and forget that a good writing can have more impact on the player than an almost real-looking character.

Just wanted to say that, as I've been replaying Tales recently and fell in love with the brilliant cutscenes.

Bring on Tales 2!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    All I can add to this is an 'amen, brother'. Well said.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah. Even cutscenes are dramatic too.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes the cutscenes are very good, and not only in Episode IV; in all of the episodes. I mean, look at Chapter I, and that final cutscene - just how well it was structured and executed. The 'full-enhancement' joke, Guybrush's running commentary when he's looking through the spyglass, the silent interaction between Elaine and LeChuck, and then the voice over from Morgan, the sound effect of the blade, and Guybrush's worried expression. The cutscene was so brilliantly done; starting off with humour, moving on to a 'huh, what?' moment, creating that drama, and then having Morgan come along and put the blade to Guybrush's neck, causing that suspense... the cliffhanger would have meant nothing if it hadn't been for the build-up that we saw in that cutscene. The cliffhanger was extremely effective because it cut the audience off when the narrative had reached its most suspenseful and dramatic point, but that drama and suspense would have been non-existent if it wasn't for the quality of the cutscene.

I could rave on about other cutscenes from the season, but I think I'll spare you all.
  • edited December 2010
    I've always found the cutscenes lacking. I still prefer the look of the cutscenes in Escape. I can't put my finger on why. They just look more cinematic and less like machinima. Maybe it's how they are rendered. Or that the animation, such as the voice sync, and camera moves arent as smooth as they should be (a problem that I still saw in the new Back to the Future trailer.) Its a shame cause as everyone else has already stated, the directing and acting and writing of the scenes is pretty great. Too bad the visuals dont hold up. Even the original Freelance Police trailer looks better somehow than the latest Sam and Max (which has probably at last caught up to the 2003 graphics).
  • edited December 2010
    Last Cutscene from chapter 4. :)

I can still watch it today and feel all the emotions I felt when I saw it the first time.
    That is true art, something that can draw you in not just only visual but also emotional.
  • edited December 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the cutscenes were probably one of the best parts of the game? Specially those in Chapters 4 and 5. Brilliant writing, directing, acting, music... Everything! It was a lot better than most of modern movies.

That's why I love TellTale: Everything is so well done, that it doesn't matter if the graphics aren't the best. A lot of modern games just focus on making super-hiper-ultra realstic graphics and forget that a good writing can have more impact on the player than an almost real-looking character.

Just wanted to say that, as I've been replaying Tales recently and fell in love with the brilliant cutscenes.

Bring on Tales 2!

Rather than write a wordy post about how much I love the cutscenes, this. Even on replays I still watch them rather than skip them, which is unusual for me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.