Fan REQ: Jules and Verne, and elements from the cartoon series?

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
Hey I just got done learning this game was coming out due to that new trailer. OMG is all I had to say. So here I am. I saw the behind the scene stuff too and how that the game is being made with all the fans in mind and elements to make it right. 1st off, i do feel the game is on the right path. I do think Docs artwork while looks ok, should get more of a happier tone on his expression. =)

Anyways speaking as a Fan, I loved the comic/cartoon series elements. I would think Jules and Verne and Clara should be involved in here somehow, The kids would get into some trouble and so, etc. Would for me, make the series connect and as a fan, would love the connections. Afterall, they were a great continuation to the movies. I always wished for example the new Ghost Busters movies would make Slimer as they did in the cartoon, a mascot, which in the game, they "kinda" did with him on display. But still wasnt the same, since Slimer was a Hero in the cartoon as well.

I feel the same way about elements from the BTTF cartoon series. Some aspects should be used. =)

Another angle to look at is Mayor Goldie Wilson, Did Marty or Doc help them more during time? As we saw in the movies, seems that family has its grips on Hill Valley, more info would be cool.

Finally.. Huey Louie and the News.. Must add a new song to the game. "Power of Love" was widely associated with BTTF and I think that is something that could be continued out of respect. =)

Hi and YAY cant wait to preorder. Waiting on my paycheck. Dying to play this game!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    No. Dear God please no!
  • edited December 2010
    The cartoon is really best left ignored. It wasn't really a Back to the Future cartoon as much as a wacky time travel cartoon that happened to have BttF characters. Doc and Marty time travel freely (despite it being well-established that time travel is incredibly dangerous), and the DeLorean is somehow able to freely travel through space as well as time, even though in the films it's, as far as spatial travel is concerned, just a normal car (that can fly).

In short, it doesn't really stick to the spirit of Back to the Future, which is what Telltale is trying to do.
  • edited December 2010
    Which part no? The kids ARE in the 3rd movie, so it should be explored some. ;)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    An explanation you will get - but probably not much more. We also already know that the cartoon series is quite another BTTF universe and will be completely ignored by the TTG team.
  • edited December 2010
    Mysticales wrote: »
    Which part no? The kids ARE in the 3rd movie, so it should be explored some. ;)
    Well yes the characters should be explored some. When you mention the animated series though, it brings to mind a lot of cringe-worthy silliness.

Also, I'm starting to think more and more that extensive development of the kids is probably left for something beyond this, where focus could be shifted away from Marty and Doc and they could have room to be more important characters.
  • edited December 2010
    Sure Im not against that, but being that this IS BTTF 4, I think Docs Wife and Kids needs to be somewhere there, and even if its not portrayed like the cartoon was. I do believe in the after seeing the Cartoon, one is the smart one and the other is childish fun. (You saw the look and expressions at the end of the 3rd movie with the smirk) While the wife.. has been torn from what she knew to be current to be instant educated into the terms and items of the future. She loves her husband and exploring time is like a dream from her books. Nothing wrong with exploring it and for fans, I think it would add a good degree of something new. =)
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, this could be a step back for Clara's character from the role she got in Part 3.
  • edited December 2010
    Doc's family could be explained away in an incredibly simple way, like having Doc say some throwaway line like "Thank goodness that Clara and the boys are safely at home on our farm in 1875" or something.

This is a Marty and Doc adventure. The Brown family was a wonderful addition to complete Doc's character arc in the trilogy, but they were superfluous and unnecessary to a continuing story. So just like Gale and Zemeckis did to Jennifer in Part Two, the Brown family's involvement should be minimized.

That's my two cents anyways...
  • edited December 2010
    I do need to point out something. Someone mentioned that it makes no sense for the DeLorean in the cartoon to travel spatially as well as temporally? It always has. Somehow, the time machine autocorrects spatial coordinates in order for the passenger to arrive in the same place he left even though spatially, those coordinates would have changed, especially over years.
  • edited December 2010
    I do need to point out something. Someone mentioned that it makes no sense for the DeLorean in the cartoon to travel spatially as well as temporally? It always has. Somehow, the time machine autocorrects spatial coordinates in order for the passenger to arrive in the same place he left even though spatially, those coordinates would have changed, especially over years.

Let me be more specific: When the DeLorean time travels, where it shows up is relative to where it was before. If you want to travel to the time of the ancient Romans, you can, but good luck getting to Rome.
  • edited December 2010
    If you want to travel to the time of the ancient Romans, you can, but good luck getting to Rome.
    I wonder how many MPG that flying DeLorean gets. :D
  • edited December 2010
    Well Im all for the adventure between Marty and Doc, its how it always has been, However, this IS BTTF 4, who says Jennifer, and Docs family cant somehow me more then a passing mention. The overall adventure doesnt change, HELL even take it up a notch, a "zoops" happens. Think of Shrek 4. How would life be if one mistake happened, Clara and the kids are rebels or something. We saw Jennifer as a old lady, so something interesting could happen.

I wonder tho if the Time Train is going to be in the adventure.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    I wonder how many MPG that flying DeLorean gets. :D

It gets the 1.21 Gigawatts to the time travel! GTT for short! =p
  • edited December 2010
    if you go to the bttf game site go to episode and look at the details of episode 4 i think the girl in the info is clara
  • edited December 2010
    Let me be more specific: When the DeLorean time travels, where it shows up is relative to where it was before. If you want to travel to the time of the ancient Romans, you can, but good luck getting to Rome.
    Which makes me kind of want to see stuff outside of Hill Valley now. If they were going to do another new installment with a shifted focus that I mentioned before, taking some things from the toon (such as using more locations) could be ok. Borrowing the roles of the characters could all work too, and it's unique characters like some of the extra ancestors/descendants introduced, or Verne's friend Chris.
  • edited December 2010
    Haha the cartoon is fail.

It really did no justice for the trilogy.
  • edited December 2010
    The only thing the cartoon had that the BttF game should have is Christopher Lloyd's involvement.

Check.
  • edited December 2010
    Well if you feel the cartoon had bad elements, anyone have suggestions that COULD be used to improve on that and create more character involvement that would be fitting in your eyes?

How do you think Docs family COULD be involved in the game that might be cool or better suited?
  • edited December 2010
    Mysticales wrote: »
    I always wished for example the new Ghost Busters movies would make Slimer as they did in the cartoon, a mascot, which in the game, they "kinda" did with him on display. But still wasnt the same, since Slimer was a Hero in the cartoon as well.

You not seen "Ghostbusters 2"? It's not explicated, but it's clear that Slimer's role in this film is a nod to the cartoon.
  • edited December 2010
    You not seen "Ghostbusters 2"? It's not explicated, but it's clear that Slimer's role in this film is a nod to the cartoon.

Yes which is how I view it too.. but I think it was said that the role slimer has in the cartoon had nothing to do with the movies. Even the VG hes just on display, not as a "friend"

I mean I just think that if the BTTF wasnt impressive to fans as it was to me, then by all means, write and suggest a new way to present them into the story. Bridge some gaps and define the roles. =)
  • edited December 2010
    Huge Ghostbusters fan here - see my screenname. GBII was more kid-friendly than the first because of the cartoon. But ultimately, Slimer was one of the downfalls of The Real Ghostbusters. The cartoon began to rely on him way too heavily - even giving him his own awful cartoon as part of the hour long program. Personally, I thought GB:TVG did a good job of drawing him back to his place as a ghost, not a team-mate.

As for the BTTF cartoon, I've just been going back through my old tapes of it, and I have to say, it is very cringe-worthy at places. While I enjoyed it as a kid because it was BTTF and funny, as an adult, I really only watch it because of the nostalgia factor.

While I agree that Clara and the kids need to be mentioned (there is a screen shot of Doc wearing a wedding ring), I don't think they need to be too deeply involved in the story. At least not at the beginning. It might be interesting to bring in Clara is there is an issue with another possible woman and younger Doc. haha
  • edited December 2010
    It could be cool if there was a part of the eppy where you maybe as Marty or Doc go with the family instead to help things out. If BTTF plays like sam and max, you could use your "teammate" to trigger a idea or a event by using them on the item or so.
  • edited December 2010
    One thing I am worried about is the BttF formula becoming a stale self-parody.
    With Marty and Doc's story having been well told in the trilogy, and future installments like this that focus on them again falling into a trap of reused elements like more identical ancestors, another Biff getting in the way, and Marty running around in the past Hill Valley with another pop-culture-reference fake name. And of course the problem of likenesses and voices for the original characters has already come up.
    My excitement for this game still outweighs those concerns, but expanding the universe of the franchise later could solve most of those problems.

I'd hesitate to say "expanding the universe could never hurt", because then I just have look at something like Star Wars.

Edit: And you'd have a hard time finding a better protagonist to expand a story than Jules or Verne.
  • edited December 2010
    Tyrfing42 wrote: »
    One thing I am worried about is the BttF formula becoming a stale self-parody.
    With Marty and Doc's story having been well told in the trilogy, and future installments like this that focus on them again falling into a trap of reused elements like more identical ancestors, another Biff getting in the way, and Marty running around in the past Hill Valley with another pop-culture-reference fake name. And of course the problem of likenesses and voices for the original characters has already come up.
    My excitement for this game still outweighs those concerns, but expanding the universe of the franchise later could solve most of those problems.
    The trilogy itself is full of "reused elements" (tons of them, in fact), and yet each movie manages to tell a unique and interesting story. I expect the game to have the "reused elements" we're familiar with and tell its own unique story. Frankly, if those elements weren't in the game, it just wouldn't have that "Back to the Future" feel.
  • edited December 2010
    Frankly, if those elements weren't in the game, it just wouldn't have that "Back to the Future" feel.
    Agreed, but that's also precisely why I think it would inevitably start getting gimmicky.
  • edited December 2010
    Agreed, but that's also precisely why I think it would inevitably start getting gimmicky.
    Considering we're only seeing two new time periods in the game, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • edited December 2010
    For the record, I would have absolutely no interest in a Jules or Verne Back To The Future adventure game...

None whatsoever.

I love the trilogy and have numerous fan-memorabilia but would not touch nor care for an expansion of their stories.

Back to the future should be Marty, Doc & a time-travelling Delorean. It's really quite simple.
  • edited December 2010
    mcfly88 wrote: »
    For the record, I would have absolutely no interest in a Jules or Verne Back To The Future adventure game...

None whatsoever.

I love the trilogy and have numerous fan-memorabilia but would not touch nor care for an expansion of their stories.

Back to the future should be Marty, Doc & a time-travelling Delorean. It's really quite simple.

I agree best to leave them out.
  • edited December 2010
    And you'd have a hard time finding a better protagonist to expand a story than Jules or Verne.

Id have to agree there. Now while some of you point out that "reused" would be "Gimmicky" thats what the cartoon did, EVERY time period.. a new gimmick, same plot and same vs Biff elements. Now while it was cute. As a adventure game. There COULD be so much more.

How did Doc get in trouble? One of the kids didnt fully understand the time period which landed Doc in Jail?

I mean vs saying "This game should ONLY be about Doc and Marty" maybe we can come up with ideas that Docs family COULD be a part of the story. In ways that EVERYONE would think. "Hey thats a cool idea!" This is how developers look at things too. Throw a good plot twist, that makes sense, engaging and then develop on it, without taking away from the main story or role of the game with Doc and Marty.

I mean even some of the flashbacking could be "Well after Clara, the Kids and I left with the Time Train, we went back to the past to the 1930s (Which as you know the Third Reich, Rosevelt, and various other wars and conflicts) where something happened, and someone got in trouble that started "x". Now why would I say that era? Well its FULL of History, also since they used a Train, it could be easier to get around then a futuristic looking car. Etc.

Rem Telltale seems to want to cater to us fans. So if we the fan base give some good ideas on what COULD be a thought to promote, you never know, they may pickup on that and expand, even if its small. Since the 3rd movie did introduce a new aspect, Id hate for it to be ignored or only a minor mention.
  • edited December 2010
    Mysticales that's an amazing idea! They should totally do that!

I really wouldn't mind if Jules & Verne were supporting characters that pop up every once and a while. Their personalities were never really given in the movies (in fact, I don't think they ever spoke). They could give them odd comic relief personalities or something. Like maybe, Jules is a nerdy scientist wannabe and Verne is obsessed with video games (possible Sam & Max cameo), for example.

Clara should appear in the game/series, too.
  • edited December 2010
    Under no condition should Clara and Docs "kids" be involved in the video game series. I remember the cartoon when i was a child and it really SUCKED! They would be dead weight (like Marty's girlfriend, no wonder they just constantly put her into comas) and the game would start revolving around "rescuing the kids" or something lame like that. NO WAY KEEP THEM OUT.
  • edited December 2010
    Considering we're only seeing two new time periods in the game, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Really? Only two new time periods over the 5 episodes?
  • edited December 2010
    Am I the only one who woke up every saturday morning as a high schooler and loved the BTTF animated series? I must have been starved for anything BTTF related.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010

I wouldn't see this as confirmed information. In fact, that seems judged from just the episode descriptions on the BTTF game main page, which naturally doesn't tell you everything about the game.
  • edited December 2010
    You're not the only one. I had morning events at school and I would rush home to watch Back to the Future and TMNT on CBS.

I always thought the show was good for what it was, seeing as how it was aimed at a younger demographic. In no way did I consider it canon, though...
  • edited December 2010
    Really? Only two new time periods over the 5 episodes?
    I wouldn't see this as confirmed information. In fact, that seems judged from just the episode descriptions on the BTTF game main page, which naturally doesn't tell you everything about the game.
    That information gives us enough insight, though, that I think it's fair to say that there are only two new main time periods in the game: 1931 (which we see Marty going back to in the trailer), and 1986-A (where Marty is "time-stranded" in episode 3 and seems to still be dealing with in episode 4, in addition to going back to 1931 in that episode). I'm counting 1986 as an extension of the movies' 1985, so it's not a "new" time period. Any other new time periods will most likely be a part of episode 5's "climactic chase" and be seen only briefly. Though, I will be happy to be proved wrong, since I want more than two new time periods.
  • edited December 2010
    I know I was happy to read the comics and the cartoons (They were the same) Only because it was a NEW BTTF story to explore. While gimmicky, it was fine, It was fun to see Lloyd in the live action part.

Now again please to those who claim Clara and Kids would be "dead weight" then instead of saying "The cartoon sucks! Nono to Docs Family" Why not offer ideas that would give them a better role or addition to the story at least that wouldnt feel dead weight?

I mean I agree, Im not here to play BTTF just to rescue Docs Family and only be around them. I love the adventure itself and how Marty can fix it. That is the meat of the Story. Id hardly call Clara in BTTF 3 dead weight tho. She played a great role for the story. Similar tie ins can still be had. Just need to toss ideas out on how it could work.
  • edited December 2010

If you click for info about the last episode it mentions traveling into the future...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.