IGN BTTF Preview - SPOILERS BEWARE!

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
IGN has posted the preview of BTTF - The Game!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1140516p1.html

*There are some spoilers in the preview*

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Good find, thanks Nilok :)
  • edited December 2010
    They seem to have really enjoyed the game too. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Nice preview, but be warned - major spoilers, including one puzzle & solution. it details the first couple of scenes in the games.
  • edited December 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Nice preview, but be warned - major spoilers, including one puzzle & solution. it details the first couple of scenes in the games.

Yeah, definitely add *spoilers* to the thread description, this article is VERY revealing.
  • edited December 2010
    Read it and skipped the paragraphs about a puzzle.

The IGN guy was really positive about it!
    The only thing that came as weird was that Biff is supposedly walking around Doc's lab.
    What is he doing there? I hope it gets explained.
  • edited December 2010
    Biff is George's employee... I imagine he is with him.
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    Read it and skipped the paragraphs about a puzzle.

The IGN guy was really positive about it!
    The only thing that came as weird was that Biff is supposedly walking around Doc's lab.
    What is he doing there? I hope it gets explained.

The new 'The trouble with the Tannens' trailer shows Biff in Doc's lab. It gets explained but it's hardly a major plot point to be honest.
  • edited December 2010
    This is a really cool image...

back-to-the-future-the-game-20101216011026032_640w.jpg

EDIT: I think I am going to officially cut myself off from anymore forum talk, speculation, previews, screenshots from now on. Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy the BTTF build up. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Or Biff wanted to buy some stuff of Doc's. I mean, it's shown that he seems to take a liking to Doc's mind-reading helmet...at least, as a beer holder.

Oh, and the part about a familiar scene from the first movie...I think it's obvious from screens released that we'll be playing out the first temporal experiment at the Twin Pines Mall. I hope that TellTale remembers that the DeLorean had a nuclear reactor and not the Mr. Fusion at that point. lol
  • edited December 2010
    *waves at Jack*

Goodbye! Maybe I should leave too......And yes that is an awesome pic.
    The new 'The trouble with the Tannens' trailer shows Biff in Doc's lab. It gets explained but it's hardly a major plot point to be honest.

If even a small reason shines through the dialogue it's okay. But I don't see how Biff who has his own business to maintain and cars to clean would hang around at Doc's Lab.

But I'll just have to wait and see.

Also question:
    Some sound effects were missing in the preview I was watching

Does this mean in his opinion there should've been sound effects that weren't there or was the preview not the final product and the sound effects will be added in later?
  • edited December 2010
    I like that we get to relive a moment from the first movie in the game. My guess is it's the Twin/Lone Pine Mall scene, particularly since one of the screen shots seems to be of that scene.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Yeah obviously.
    And because it plays out differently, will it mean that we are getting the OLD DeLorean? =D
  • edited December 2010
    Doubtful since it still would have to go forward to 2015 to get Mr. Fusion. :p And it sounds like even if you pick the completely wrong option, Doc continues like nothing strange happened...I dunno. Less than a week and we'll find out! :D
  • edited December 2010
    This has got me so pumped for this game!
  • edited December 2010
    Me too :D
  • edited December 2010
    The part about replaying a scene from the movie (it has to be the Twin/Lone Pine(s) Mall scene, right?) and it going "off the rails" is the most intriguing part of this article. I thought Telltale was going to stay away from the movies' chronology? Every new bit of information I read or see about the game just makes things more confusing and I can't wait to play the damn thing already to see how it all fits together. :D

edit:
    Maybe that opening part doesn't actually have anything to do with the plot of the game? Maybe it just serves as a "how to play an adventure game" tutorial, using a familiar scene from the movie?
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    The part about replaying a scene from the movie (it has to be the Twin/Lone Pine(s) Mall scene, right?) and it going "off the rails" is the most intriguing part of this article. I thought Telltale was going to stay away from the movies' chronology? Every new bit of information I read or see about the game just makes things more confusing and I can't wait to play the damn thing already to see how it all fits together. :D

edit:
    Maybe that opening part doesn't actually have anything to do with the plot of the game? Maybe it just serves as a "how to play an adventure game" tutorial, using a familiar scene from the movie?

It could be a dream sequence to kind of show Marty's depression over losing Doc. He could be dreaming about the first night in the Twin/Lone Pine Mall, then things go "off the rails".

Sorry for not using 'spoiler' tags. I don't want to use that over theories.
  • edited December 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    It could be a dream sequence to kind of show Marty's depression over losing Doc. He could be dreaming about the first night in the Twin/Lone Pine Mall, then things go "off the rails".

Sorry for not using 'spoiler' tags. I don't want to use that over theories.
    Another good theory. I could definitely see that, especially because the article says the very next thing that happens is
    Marty waking up
  • edited December 2010
    From reading the post, I don't think they have actually played the full game yet. I think it's sort of like what Giant Bomb did when we saw the first 30 minutes of The Devil's Playhouse, that being that they played through the start so that they could have something to report on before actually reviewing the game.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Whoah, that's some spoilerish spoil-spoilered spoilers there. Like, retelling the entire first part of the episode. :(
  • edited December 2010
    I have not read this thread much further than the first page, for fear of reading about spoilers (which I do not want to know.) However I will say that, as a TTG fan, I am heartened by the fact that IGN liked the game. Now let's just hope GameSpot and GameTrailers also like it.
  • edited December 2010
    I just want ME to like it! lol

Seriously, a good BTTF game has been 25 years overdue. All we've had is a bunch of crappy NES games. The one somewhat decent BTTF game was released only in Japan. And also note that I'm not counting any fan-made efforts like Vice City's Hill Valley mod.

I'd also like to hear what James Rolfe, aka. the Angry Video Game Nerd, thinks of it after it comes out.
  • edited December 2010
    Well I think I will steer clear of that preview. I don't want to be spolied.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes its spolerish... i would be cool, that doc makes the trip to the future in the scene that "is like the beggining of BBT1" in twin pines mall, then marty wakes up in his home, and then everything that happens in the game would lead to the beggining of the first movie!!! with doc getting shot and else...
  • edited December 2010
    Shadowknight1: given that AVGN totally panned the Adventures of Willy Beamish because it was a point and click adventure game, I don't think he's going to appreciate this one much either I'm afraid :(
  • edited December 2010
    I'm pretty sure I've seen references to Sam and Max and Maniac Mansion in his videos. The AVGN might pan the game but James Rolfe will probably love it.
  • edited December 2010
    AVGN's kind of a jerk... and he's very angry... :D

...and he took a dump on Bugs Bunny... I can't trust the opinion of someone who could do such a terrible thing to one of the worlds most beloved cartoon characters... seriously, that's just wrong.

Still... he's funny at times I s'pose.
  • edited December 2010
    It's a lot better when you realize that it's pretty much a low-budget tv show. Yes, a lot of his opinions are real, such as his opinions on Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde and the NES BTTF games, but he's not that much of a jerk outside of that. :p
  • edited December 2010
    I'm pretty sure I've seen references to Sam and Max and Maniac Mansion in his videos. The AVGN might pan the game but James Rolfe will probably love it.

Or not.

I mean he's really not that much "out of character", he's just willingly being rude and "angry" on his show. But he kinda means everything (or almost) he says.

He didn't give the last Castlevania a chance, just because it was a beat em all (a pretty good one, in my opinion) and not what he expected.

I guess that he might be more indulgent since he talked a lot with some Telltale members and AJ though. But who cares about him, really ?

Also, I'm not sure the "reviews" will matter in anyway. Cauz the only people who aren't liking the game so far won't ever do. (They hate adventure games and think it looks like shit, so there won't be any change ...)
  • edited December 2010
    AVGN is unlike ZeroPunctuation whereas he reviews games that are actually really bad.
    Since BttF:The Game will be good, he won't review it.

Now ZeroPunctuation is a self proclaimed troll. I always lol when people take his reviews seriously when everybody is just an exageration by 1000x. He even managed to do a rant about Uncharted 2 and Super Mario Galaxy.

I do love how one of his fav games is Shadow of the Colossus.
  • edited December 2010
    Haha Crazy biff xD

Cant wait until the 22 ! I wish i had a time machine :P
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    AVGN is unlike ZeroPunctuation whereas he reviews games that are actually really bad.
    Since BttF:The Game will be good, he won't review it.

Well, the AVGN might not, but James Rolfe might. He did review the new Ghostbusters game for the 360, and he even stated, the only reason he was doing it was because it's Ghostbusters. So he might not be swearing at the game and wanting to destroy it AVGN style(unless he actually does hate it), but he might still review it.:p
  • edited December 2010
    I'll also be curious to hear what Spoony has to say about the game, if he ever gets around to doing another V-Log. His video releases have slowed to a crawl over the past 6 months or so, I know a lot of it was due to health issues. I hope he at least mentions it somehow, he seemed genuinely excited for the game from his report at PAX.
  • edited December 2010
    By the way, here's a good theory as to why Biff would be at Doc's lab. Remember, he did still see the flying DeLorean. And when odd things happen in Hill Valley, it's usually going to be because of Doc Brown. And he might have had to wait for the estate sale to go snooping because it would be breaking and entering any other time.
  • edited December 2010
    The bank is supposed to be auctioning off Doc's stuff, right? I think Biff's probably just there to see if there's anything cool he wants to buy.
  • edited December 2010
    Here's a new preview article: http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/64598/back-to-the-future-the-game/articles/73182/Back-to-the-Future-Preview-From-1986-to-1930/

Be warned, if the IGN article wasn't spoilery enough for you, this one's twice as spoilery, going into even more detail about key plot points.

I am intrigued by this sentence:
    "That said, even the folks at Telltale couldn’t readily explain how the Delorean – destroyed at the end of the third film – is present in this title which takes place a year after the conclusion of the trilogy."
    I don't know if that means it's not explained in the game, or if Telltale just wasn't willing to tell the previewer. That said, the writer obviously got a lot of facts wrong in the article ("1930"), including in that very sentence.

For those who don't want to be spoiled (and for everyone else), here's a new short interview with Bob Gale: http://www.ifc.com/news/2010/12/screenwriter-bob-gale-on-the-b.php
  • edited December 2010
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To Farlander, Carlos, etc
    I don't need to leave the forums since I was right!!!! It is the old DeLorean!!!!

*kisses TellTale*
  • edited December 2010
    Now now...that could just mean that it's not explained in the first episode and they don't want to spoil the rest of the season. ;)

Still Origami, we wouldn't want you to leave the forum just because of one plot point. :D
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    I never planned on leaving. Because I was just so sure of myself. :D
    (yes I can sound like an arrogant prick but I am really a nice guy.
    Maybe I should put it differently: *ahum* I just had a lot of fate in TellTale's writing capabalities ^^)

I think I have figured out how it is possible to use it without screwing up the time contuum

Read:
    Because the DeLorean can be programmed to travel to a designated time and place, Doc probably also impemented a fail-safe whereas the DeLorean will automatically travel back after a certain moment(may it be a period of real-time that has passed, amounts of time travels or something else).
  • edited December 2010
    It'll either be explained, or it won't. I think it all depends on what happens to it at the end.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.