Hehe, this guy reminds me of Stan

Seriously, he just needs the hat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWNdm06x1mo

Comments

• edited December 2010
    ...And a checkered jacket. Stan's just not Stan without that thing. But yeah, this guy is very Stan-like :).
  • edited December 2010
    That vid gave me nostagia
  • edited December 2010
    How about this guy? (1:30)
    This is Cut-Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler as he appears in the first Discworld adventure game.
  • edited December 2010
    Sarendor wrote: »
    How about this guy? (1:30)
    This is Cut-Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler as he appears in the first Discworld adventure game.

Ha, what a coincidence! I read that name for the first time less that 24 hours ago (as I've started reading 'Moving Pictures'). I've been meaning to check out the Discworld games since I've been loving the book series so much. What are the games actually like? Do they stay in-tune with the whole feel and atmosphere of Discworld?
  • edited December 2010
    I really liked them. A lot of the puzzles are hard as hell, and doesn't always have much logic to it, but I managed to finish the second game without a walkthrough. In the first two games you play as Rincewind, but the third game (Called Discworld Noir) you play as some kind of private detective that I can't remember the name of. It's a lot darker than the first two game, but it's got a great atmosphere. Too bad the game is neigh impossible to run properly on modern hardware (it's not old enough to be run with ScummVM or Dosbox, but not new enough to be compatible with today's computers).
  • edited December 2010
    Well that's good to hear. I've been doing a bit of reading on the games and have heard mostly positive things, with only the odd negative comment (which is still enough to spark doubt in one's mind). I know I can just 'Google' these sorts of things, but did Terry Pratchett himself have any input into the games?

As for 'Discworld Noir', I read that it was actually nominated for several 'Adventure Game of the Year' awards, but was pipped by 'Grim Fandango', and there's absolutely no shame in coming second to GF, so that alone basically spelled to me that it was a game. Speaking of GF, is the atmosphere of '...Noir' similar at all to GF's?
  • edited December 2010
    Well, the atmosphere in Grim is quite unique, but yes, it does have a similar moody noir feel.
  • edited December 2010
    I didn't read too many Discworld novels yet, and not in the right order. (Just finished Unseen Academicals and I am about to start reading the Colour of Magic soon.) However, I did play the game. It is extremely difficult and you will need to be either crazy or extraordinarily talented in expecting the unexpected in order to solve the puzzles. UHS or a walkthrough would be a very good idea. Aside from this, the game is a wonderful one, and I think it has the right atmosphere. (There is even a professor-like character who serves the purpose of the footnotes!) The voice acting is good, (Rincewind will forever have Eric Idle's voice for me,) although the actors are not many. The fact that Rincewind is aware of being a character in a computer game might be noted. Also, prepare for long dialogues which you will have to follow, especially if you do not wish to use hints.
  • edited January 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    In the first two games you play as Rincewind, but the third game (Called Discworld Noir) you play as some kind of private detective that I can't remember the name of.

His name is Lewton. :)

I have watched playthroughs of Discworld Noir about 3 times on youtube, and I liked it every time.
    Rob Brydon does an outstanding job as Lewton, not to mention Kate Robbins who voiced all the females. :)

The jokes are so funny, I just laughed at them everytime. So I can't wait to get started on the Discworld Series if the humor comes from them.
  • edited March 2011
    In a short story called Mr. Knowall that we learn at English class, I found one character which really resembles Stan. Here are some choice quotes about Mr. Kelada:

- 'I am Mr. Kelada,' He added with a smile that showed a row of flashing teeth, and sat down.

- He spoke with a fluency in which there was nothing English and his gestures were exuberant.

- Mr. Kelada was familiar.

- 'The three on the four,' said Mr. Kelada.
    There is nothing more exasperating when you are playing patience than to be told where to put the card you have turned up before you have had a chance to look for yourself.
    'It's coming out, it;'s coming out,' he cried. 'The ten on the knave.'
    With rage and hatred in my heart I finished. Then he seized the pack.
    'Do you like card tricks?'
    'No, I hate card tricks.'
    'Well, I'll just show you this one.'
    He showed me three.

- It never occoured to him that he was not wanted. He was certain that you were as glad to see him as he was to see you.

- He ran everything. He managed the sweeps, conducted the auctions... and arranged the fancy dress ball. He was everywhere and always.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.