A Blister in Time(References and Sight Gags Thread)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I'd say the Monkey Island reference would be that Edna Strickland's cat is named 'Pretty Whiskers'
  • edited December 2010
    Im surprised no one mentioned the Co-creators last names on the law office sign, or the election posters spread around the town square

Or how Marty once again used something from the future to solve his problems (A cassette recorder)
  • edited December 2010
    About that cassette recorder, I think odd that altough you're using it in front of Young Emmett, he doesn't even mention something about it.

I mean, in 1931 it's like a 'portable gramophone' or something like that... In fact, magnetophons were invented circa the 1930s.
  • edited December 2010
    I didn't see this mentioned yet, but in watching my brother play the game, I'm sure I overheard Edna scold two people named 'Jack and Diane' through her binoculars about what they were up to behind a tree.

That immediately made me think of John Mellancamp's song 'Jack and Diane' in which I believe one of the lines refers to the two eponymous characters snogging behind a tree.

Thought that was quite clever!
  • edited December 2010
    But you did notice it changed to "Lone Pine Mall" during the dream, right? :)

I was sort of hoping it'd be the other way around. The only impact that Doc would have on the number of pines would be that if he had never invented time travel, both pines would be there. So starting the scene at Lone Pine mall would be a bit weird (although that must have happened in the newer timeline) but then having it fade back to Twin Pines would have been clever. It doesn't make any particular sense to have it change the way it does, but I guess it is just a dream.

Unless Einstein messed with the time circuits, and went back in time and ran over a pine tree with the Delorean. And then ran over 1955 Doc as well. That would make it all make sense.
  • edited December 2010
    Z-4195 wrote: »
    About that cassette recorder, I think odd that altough you're using it in front of Young Emmett, he doesn't even mention something about it.
    Marty and Young Doc do have a discussion about the tape recorder. Emmett asks what it is and Marty tells him it's something they're looking at at the patent office. I don't remember the full conversation, but it was along those lines.
  • edited December 2010
    Two things in Edna's apartment, first on her table is George Orwell's 1984 (omminous foreshadowing for episode 3?) and how in one of the conversations she yells at a "Tiff Tannen".

It sounds like Biff had a daugther who might be Griff's mother (I don't remember if he was ever called a Tannen in part 2, maybe in the credits).
  • edited December 2010
    When you show young Emmett the tape recorder, he asks what it is. When Marty carefully explains it without giving away too much information, Emmett says, "Fascinating! A portable recording studio!"
  • edited December 2010
    When you show young Emmett the tape recorder, he asks what it is. When Marty carefully explains it without giving away too much information, Emmett says, "Fascinating! A portable recording studio!"

another reason i have to play it a third time.
  • OMAOMA
    edited January 2011
    Didn't notice this thread, sorry! ^^
  • edited January 2011
    Rade88 wrote: »
    No I'm referring to 'Xavier's school for unwanted children'
    Maybe I don't remember it properly, but I think she didn't say just "Xavier", but actually "St. Francis Xavier", who is a Spanish saint, patron saint of missionaries, and patron saint of the Spanish region where I am from. I was named after him.
    He's a quite important saint worldwide, specially on charity institutions.
    Therefore, I don't think it's precisely a X-Men reference, but maybe those comics/movies could have been on Telltale writers' mind when they chose a saint's name for the charity school
  • edited January 2011
    I loved seeing the pictures of the Devil's Toybox by Edna's window and the movie posters on Marty's wall.
  • edited January 2011

Next time I play that I might have to try that. I didn't know that you could use the tape recorder with young Emmett.
  • edited January 2011
    Kal-El wrote: »
    That's what I thought too.. just restarted to make sure it wasn't there for the close up.. ;) still wonder if this DeLorean can fly? I guess not if it's the *spoiler* duplicate of the one hit by lightning that destroyed the flying circuits :(

But it was found in 2025 (iirc), so certainly Doc could have got it fixed.
  • edited January 2011
    I just noticed, the maximum pressure on the gauge when you're making the rocket fuel is 88. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    I just played the free game, and it doesn't look like anyone's mentioned this yet. The end sequence with the van and the bike looks like they borrowed it directly from the Wallace and Gromit short 'A Close Shave', only they had to deal with a truckload of sheep in the bargain.
  • edited March 2011
    YES!

I was feeling a real sense of Deja Vu during that scene, I now realise why!

Also, the Gargoyles not being on the clock tower is explained in ep2, Edna is campaigning to have them put up.
  • edited March 2011
    While playing through FCB I've run into some humorous and clever references.

one being a star wars reference where marty speaks into the intercom and says "Fine everythings fine now...how are you? the same lines from Han Solo in A New Hope.

Or the Tron reference where Marty checks the floppy disks and says "Greetings Programs"

share some of your interesting references you've run into while playing through FCB (or any of the other episodes for that matter)

also the box of used pin ball machine parts in the "decylcing room" was also a nice touch.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    I'm subscribing to this thread--- I want to see what all you find. The original movies were set, pretty much, in the present day. Looking at the franchise as an 80's period piece-- I felt compelled to write a lot of pop culture references into the script. We put a lot of effort into fan service in this episode.
  • edited March 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    I'm subscribing to this thread--- I want to see what all you find. The original movies were set, pretty much, in the present day. Looking at the franchise as an 80's period piece-- I felt compelled to write a lot of pop culture references into the script. We put a lot of effort into fan service in this episode.

And I'd like to be the first to say that it was an awesome move from you guys to be adding this much pop culture reference from the 80's (even though star wars episode IV was from the 70's but I"m not complaining :D )

I enjoyed this episode
  • edited March 2011
    I posted this in another thread:
    OrangeAce wrote: »
    And also, the method through which they brainwash people is clearly a nod to A Clockwork Orange - making people feel physically ill when they consider criminal actions. That and the shot of Doc with his eyes clamped open as he undergoes the "procedure" are definitely nods to that film.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    KaiRubix wrote: »
    And I'd like to be the first to say that it was an awesome move from you guys to be adding this much pop culture reference from the 80's (even though star wars episode IV was from the 70's but I"m not complaining :D )

I enjoyed this episode

Thanks!

Marty would have been 9 when Star Wars came out.

There's another Star Wars reference buried in the game somewheres.

If you are feeling particularly completist... I'd play through the game a couple more times reading hints and doing the puzzles in different orders while talking to people in between.
  • edited March 2011
    there was the dukes of hazzard refernece when jennifer said to marty "So who you meant to be? Luke or Bo?"
  • edited March 2011
    I loved how Biff does the "Guybrush dance" when you tell him to do the chicken dance.

:guybrush:
  • edited March 2011
    I loved the Star Wars reference and the Guybrush dance.
  • edited March 2011
    I LOL'ed when I first heard the star wars han solo reference, all of them were great. I thought it was a great episode. Was sad when it was over :( I want more! I hope they make more BTTF games after this one.
  • edited March 2011
    I feel like such an awful person for not getting the Han Solo reference. I pat myself on the back for noticing the Pink Floyd reference when Marty's checking out the brick wall, though.
  • edited March 2011
    Love the ToMI reference there. Can we get that as an emoticon like the Guybrush one?
  • edited March 2011
    I love that George has a box of that girl scout peanut brittle from the first movie in the garage. Really shows that this George is still spineless.
  • edited March 2011
    I love the weird science diskettes lying around :D LeBrock 2.0 :D
  • edited March 2011
    "This is my guitar. There are many like it, but this one's mine."
  • edited March 2011
    I loved it when your trying to get Jennifer interested in Marty again you have the choice of saying "Rock n' Roll is my destiny", but instead he says "Rock n' Roll is my density.....I mean destiny". A cool nod to the first film.
  • edited March 2011
    Harald B wrote: »
    "This is my guitar. There are many like it, but this one's mine."

Could be a Full Metal Jacket reference?

... Or hes just attached to it so he doesnt like anybody messing with his guitar, even if it would be easy to replace.
  • edited March 2011
    The whole Hill Valley setup reminded me a lot of the original concept behind EPCOT in Walt Disney World. Just the idea of a whole city that was dedicated to Disneyland-like levels of cleanliness and safety would probably eventually lead to a dystopia of this sort.
  • edited March 2011
    I'd liked very much:
    The Star Wars reference (Fine everythings fine now...how are you?...),
    the floppy disks references (Tron, War Games' WOPR...)
    and...

¡¡¡Banang!!!
  • edited March 2011
    the photo of Doc and Edna on the right wall of FCB's office, It looks like the painting of the farmer and his wife standing in front of a...barn...at least i think it is a barn...if abyone knows what I am talking about, please upload a picture for me.

Also, the picture of young emmet and his father looks oddly familiar.
  • edited March 2011
    Kamagawa wrote: »
    the photo of Doc and Edna on the right wall of FCB's office, It looks like the painting of the farmer and his wife standing in front of a...barn...at least i think it is a barn...if abyone knows what I am talking about, please upload a picture for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gothic

300px-Grant_DeVolson_Wood_-_American_Gothic.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    Did anyone else notice A Clock Work Orange reference in episode 3? The citizen plus program seems a lot like the program that was used on alex in the book/movie a clockwork orange. I kind of noticed this when Biff threw up from thinking violent thoughts. Also the picture at the end that Edna shows you pretty much explains it all...
  • edited March 2011
    Of course there's "He's a peeping tom!", direct lift from the first film.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Did anyone else notice A Clock Work Orange reference in episode 3?

Absolutely! Immediately thought of it when I came across poor Biff.

For anyone who happens to be unfamiliar with A Clockwork Orange, here's the IMDB intro: "In future Britain, charismatic delinquent Alex DeLarge is jailed and volunteers for an experimental aversion therapy developed by the government in an effort to solve society's crime problem... but not all goes to plan."
Sign in to comment in this discussion.