Do you find that the episodes are cheap - pricewise?

2»

Comments

• edited April 2007
    TellTale has a great attitude, giving you a chance to sample any single episode and then deduct that $9 from your season cost. I don't see why anyone wouldn't buy in after playing one episode. TellTale is making an effort to bring back the "dead" genre of adventure games. An era that a lot of today's younger players missed out on. There's nothing like the Sierra and Lucasarts games that dominated the market.

Honestly, a friend send me cracked (yes, I know it's wrong, but I didn't ask for them) versions of the first 3 episodes. I wasn't expecting much and was just going to check them out and delete them. There's so much dumbing down of the interface and the content that goes on to make console ports easy (because that's where the real money is). PC gaming is a fringe market now, I've accepted it and I've gone back to find older adventure games that passed me by. So I wasn't expecting much and even though these new "Sam and Max" are simplified compared to some of the crazy puzzles in the original, they are a great achievement. At my first opportunity, I purchased a season pass to show my support for what they're trying to do in a very difficult market.

When we compare hours of shear entertainment at $6 a chapter to movies or gasoline or a damn cup of Starbucks. Seeing where the market started... with Infocom's text games which are more vivid in my mind than the high-end shooters that come out weekly. So I think it comes down to what it's worth to you. I know that a lot of us would pay $100+ for another quality Monkey Island, Zork, Sierra "Quest" game, (for example)...

I don't count Cyan Worlds because as unique as Myst is, they just aren't adventure games as generally accepted. They're more of an atmosphereic experience with unrelated logic puzzles screwn about.

Thank the gods that TellTale is out there. Thank you for all your hard work, it fills a major void that no other company is doing.
  • edited April 2007
    Ohh i for sure would pay a lot for the DIG II or another adventure game which captures the spirit of this game.

Questions are to what you compare it with and how exceptional the gaming experience is to you.

If i compare it to other good PC games which i can buy in my local store than the price (whole season plus valued shipping costs) is okay but not cheap.

If the game is a Klee for you then well you're free to go as theoretically there is no limit... :O)
  • CJMCJM
    edited May 2007
    Howdy,

For me at least, the online episodic model works out really well. At release, games tend to cost $80AUD or more [usually more...]. The whole season from TT will, prior to shipping have cost me quite a bit less than $50AUD.

Also, it's Sam and Max, not some crappy generic boilerplate FPS (or whatever, I really don't dislike any genres - FPS just seems to have the same bad gameplay over and over in most titles nowadays).

I'd probably have still bought them if they were twice or thrice the price. I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days, so when I do have the chance, I value quality over quantity. And that's something that's really shone through with everything that I've seen from Telltale.

--CJM
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah me too. Less time for gaming so i'm more selective. I end up playing more emulated stuff these days. Some of the old games still have a superb gameplay and you won't find better adventures than those you can play with ScummVM these days. Only drawback might be that you know them already but don't be afraid with this amazing little wooden hammer i can definately solve those problems, i promise you will be in gaming heaven afterwards and it only hurts a bit! :O)
  • edited May 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    Only drawback might be that you know them already but don't be afraid with this amazing little wooden hammer i can definately solve those problems, i promise you will be in gaming heaven afterwards and it only hurts a bit! :O)

Oooh, a hammer to the head resulting in temporary (or permanent) amnesia. Something Max would completely support. That or a full frontal lobotaby.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.