Tales of monkes island...the band?!

today i found a facebook page about ToMI...but it isnt our monkey island...its a austrian rockband....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TALES-OF-MONKEY-ISLAND/130125210355889

isnt there a copyright on the name?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I don't think you can copyright a name.
  • edited December 2010
    You can copyright a title, though, can't you? Which is was Tales of Monkey Island is.
  • edited December 2010
    Isaac Asmiov was able to name his book of robot stories "I, Robot" Which was the names of a short story told in the perspective of a robot written a few years later, so I don't think so.
  • edited December 2010
    You can copyright a title and also a name...depending on the category. For instance, if I make a movie called "The blue giraffe" starring a character named Fifi the Great I have to copyright those two names...but there are different categories.

If Remolay makes a theatre play with a different story, but still named "The blue giraffe", it would be okay. If Rebirth would make his own comic book series entitled Fifi the Great, but starring a character that has no resemblance to mine, it would be okay.

But if StarEye would want to make a movie in which any of those two names appear, he would have to talk to me, otherwise I'd sue his butt. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Apparently the band formed in 2008, which is before TTG's TOMI anyway
  • edited January 2011
    Dang. I thought I took care of them... *buys plane ticket to Australia*
Sign in to comment in this discussion.