ToMI Graphics

I'm a little late to the table here, in that I've only just gotten around to playing ToMI (why did I wait?) and I really loved it. I was of the opinion that adventure gaming was well and truly dead, and felt like I hadn't played a good one since Grim Fandango a bajillion years ago. But ToMI really worked. The last chapter in particular was spectacularly good.

But the thing I noticed about the last chapter was also that it looked much better than the other chapters. The reason for this was the lighting of the underworld - it made everything seem as if it had dark outlines, giving it a much more cartoony vibe.

So I'd like to make a suggestion. If we ever do get a second season of ToMI (and I really hope we do), it'd be really great if black outlines were added to everybody - much like in the short-lived (and not really to my taste, gameplay-wise) Penny-Arcade games. It makes the stylised, cartoony graphics look so much more stylised and cartoony (and I'm a big fan of stylisation over realism).

Comments

• edited December 2010
    First off, I'm glad you enjoyed the game so much, it is good isn't it? :D

Just for future reference you may be interested to know that the process of adding black outlines to characters and objects in 3D games is called cell-shading (I believe the first game to do so was the superb Jet Set Radio, or Jet Grind Radio if you live in North America, for the Dreamcast).

Funnily enough I've also often noticed that the likes of TOMI and S&M would look great with the cell-shading effect. So count me in for the notion of it being used for a possible (if perhaps unlikely) ToMI Season 2.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)
  • edited December 2010
    black outlines? you mean like in the most recent street fighter game? sorry but i thought the characters were fine as is.
  • edited January 2011
    Hee Ho Ho wrote: »
    black outlines? you mean like in the most recent street fighter game? sorry but i thought the characters were fine as is.

Yes, Street Fighter IV did use cell shading (in a fairly heavy handed way). The effect could be applied from a much more subtle approach for future games from Telltale. Besides, the graphical style (and the look of Guybrush and co) have always changed from Monkey Island game to game, so it would be in keeping with tradition to shake things up a little.
  • edited January 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    Yes, Street Fighter IV did use cell shading (in a fairly heavy handed way). The effect could be applied from a much more subtle approach for future games from Telltale. Besides, the graphical style (and the look of Guybrush and co) have always changed from Monkey Island game to game, so it would be in keeping with tradition to shake things up a little.

true, monkey island did have different graphics but i kind of thought that was as technology got better

i mean pixels to high quality 2d to average 3d to telltale 3d seems more to do with technology and the change of companies. i agree that guybrush has changed in every game i don't mind about that too much.:)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.