Which games to play first

edited January 2011 in Sam & Max
I just bought the Holiday Pack that contains all 3 Sam and Max games. Do you suggest I play the old (non-telltale) games prior to playing these or should I go look for the old games and play those before jumping in to the telltale games?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Why are you saying games in plural?

The ONLY game before telltale was Sam & Max Hit the Road.
    Its a good game, but its totally unrelated to the telltale ones so when you play it doesn't really matter; where as the telltale seasons make much more sense if played in order.
  • edited January 2011
    When playing the Telltale seasons you're better off playing them in order or else you won't understand stuff if you like went ahead playing Season Two without playing Season one first.

As for Hit The Road, a totally different game. Unrelated, so you can play that at any time.
  • edited January 2011
    If you don't play HtR 1st, you'll miss some inside jokes in TT's SMNMX seasons ... but you won't miss any important plot points
  • edited January 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Why are you saying games in plural?

My bad, for some reason I thought there were 2 or them. Thanks for the info. I will probably just skip the original.
  • edited January 2011
    I played 3 first and altho I didn't understand all of the references, the game was great enough to get me interested in the other seasons
  • edited January 2011
    you can start with season one, just remember to play hit the road, it's a great game too!
  • edited January 2011
    I started with Season 3, and I didn't realise how many references I was missing until I went back and beat the first two seasons.

So yeah, definitely recommend playing them in order.
  • edited January 2011
    you have to play season 2 to understand the ending of the city that dares not sleep
  • edited January 2011
    The first one gets pretty ridiculous, and honestly most of the later puzzles didn't make any sense to me without a walkthrough. This was back in the days when 99% of an adventure company's revenue was from overpriced calls to hint lines. Oh, yeah, it's FUNNY, definitely, but still not great as a game.
    The new games are generally more fun, I think.
  • edited January 2011
    It is true that the third season has a huge amount of references to the previous games that I didn't understand when I played it but I could kind of tell the difference between what was an honest reference and what was just a written isolated joke. I thought it was really well done, it got me interested without spoiling anything. Hell you don't even get to see Bosco in season 3 and hes one of my favorite parts of the first 2 seasons.
  • edited January 2011
    Katana wrote: »
    The first one gets pretty ridiculous, and honestly most of the later puzzles didn't make any sense to me without a walkthrough. This was back in the days when 99% of an adventure company's revenue was from overpriced calls to hint lines. Oh, yeah, it's FUNNY, definitely, but still not great as a game.
    The new games are generally more fun, I think.

If you mean Hit the Road here, I strongly disagree. All the puzzles fell into one of the following two categories:
    - Followed a kind of logic, even if rather convoluted sometimes (eg.
    when you had to create a corkscrew out of the icepick with the help of the tool-bending guy
    - Happened via actions that no self-respecting adventure gamer would leave undone (eg. using the Wak-A-Rat - who would leave without winning that game? :) )
  • edited January 2011
    I didn't think the Hit the Road game had any logic, really. I've played a ton of games and that one always boggled me. Hell I knew I was in trouble when I figured out I was supposed to use Max to short circuit the fuse box in the Tunnel of Love... I would have never thought of using him that way.

That said, I still enjoy the hell out of it. But I needed hints aplenty.
  • edited January 2011
    Just start with Season One. Hit the Road and the comics aren't necessary at all. It's just not a good idea to skip ahead.

As for thinking there were two games by Lucasarts, there were several attempts to make a sequel to 'Hit the Road', but when the final attempt was nearly complete, Lucasarts canceled the game for no good reason. The developers were then laid off, and they began a little company called Telltale Games. All this is referenced many times in the Telltale series. The more you know...
  • edited January 2011
    redm wrote: »
    I played 3 first and altho I didn't understand all of the references, the game was great enough to get me interested in the other seasons

The ending makes much more sense if you've played the fourth episode of season two first, "Chariots of the Dogs."

Other than that, the only issue you might have is that certain characters - Momma Bosco, Superball, Harry, etc. -were introduced in earlier episodes, and probably wouldn't seem as random if you'd seen their official introductions into the series. Also, there's a joke or two about the Soda Poppers, who don't show up at all in this season but were characters in the other episodes. But it's really not a big deal.

That sort of goes to everyone else who only played season three, since it seems to come up a lot on this forum.
  • edited January 2011
    begin with season one,season 3 also fatastic
Sign in to comment in this discussion.