is Elaine already married in Secret?

sorry if this has already been discussed...
so I noticed that at the end of SOMI, when
Guybrush and Elaine are watching LeChuck explode
, if you choose the option of "How to deal with frustration...", then Elaine responds that that sounds like something her husband would say. So is she joking or what?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Well, the "real-world" answer is probably that whoever wrote that line thought it was a funny line -- subverting audience expectations -- and wasn't thinking too deeply about theoretical future games and their theoretical plots. :)

I suppose the "in-universe" answer would have to be one of these:

1. Elaine is indeed married, and was subsequently divorced (or widowed) and the event was never, ever referred to again. Seems very unlikely.

2. Elaine is referring to her future husband, i.e. Guybrush. Likelier, but pretty convoluted.

3. Elaine is yanking Guybrush's chain. Most likely, IMO.
  • edited January 2011
    I always took it that she was hinting at Guybrush that she wanted him to be her husband. So when she said it sounding something her husband would say, she was refering to him.
  • edited January 2011
    Admonisher wrote: »
    Well, the "real-world" answer is probably that whoever wrote that line thought it was a funny line -- subverting audience expectations -- and wasn't thinking too deeply about theoretical future games and their theoretical plots. :)

I suppose the "in-universe" answer would have to be one of these:

1. Elaine is indeed married, and was subsequently divorced (or widowed) and the event was never, ever referred to again. Seems very unlikely.

2. Elaine is referring to her future husband, i.e. Guybrush. Likelier, but pretty convoluted.

3. Elaine is yanking Guybrush's chain. Most likely, IMO.

I just recently finished SoMI:SE and judging on Guybrush's reaction, I'm choosing door Number 2, Monty.

She's subtly hinting that maybe Guybrush should marry her in future. Which of course, we do see throughout the next few games.
  • edited January 2011
    Guybrush says in the end of chap 5(if you choose that option) "that sounds like somthing your husband would say"
  • edited January 2011
    It's just a joke that doesn't need to be read into, like Winslow's reaction to the 'Isle of Ewe' joke, or the ending of 'LeChuck's Revenge' joke.
  • edited January 2011
    .... Its time I come clean.... I have been married to Elaine for the last 21 years...
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    .... Its time I come clean.... I have been married to Elaine for the last 21 years...

Irishmile and Elaine... Imagine the kids! (I would show you, but Irishmile stole all the Photoshop talent.)
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »

haha
  • edited January 2011
    Maybe we will never know or it's up to us to figure it out. The entire Monkey Island series are filled with these random revelations of secrets that make no sense and are not connected with the story at all.
  • edited January 2011
    Actually she was married to lemonhead.

But shush, that is the legendary secret of monkey island.

(The divorce came through shortly after somi2..that is why there is no more secret after that)
  • edited January 2011
    Seriously though, Elaine is just flirting, and it's a very common to do it (she's just hinting that Guybrush is the kind of man she would marry).

If someone said "you sound like my mother!", would you come to the conclusion that perhaps you are his/her mother?
  • edited January 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    Seriously though, Elaine is just flirting, and it's a very common to do it (she's just hinting that Guybrush is the kind of man she would marry).

If someone said "you sound like my mother!", would you come to the conclusion that perhaps you are his/her mother?

I will from now on!
  • edited January 2011
    It is possible she was trying to see what kind of reaction she would get from GT
Sign in to comment in this discussion.