Thoughts on Guybrush's and Elaine's relationship?

edited February 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
From what the games let on directly and imply, how do you think you sum up their relationship?

Why do you think they're right for each other? I'm 23 years old, single, have no friends. I don't really have close relationships with any one, but I do have some feelings. I just don't understand what makes a relationship, fully...

But this being monkey Island I was curious if any one had any answers.

I stopped to look at the game for the first time (Tales), started at this point of the relationship, and as I play through it this time, even though it's just a game, I am observing their behavior.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    It's cartoon-love.

Also, I thought this thread was going to be about what I think about Guybrush and Elaine's relationship. Because, personally, I think the writers of CMI decided they should have them marry in the last cutscene, they wrote the characters into a corner that's hard to get out of. Guybrush should've been "free" from marriage, and thus the future writers would also have more creative freedom, I think. Think of this, the entire EMI story was more or less based on their marriage and family reunion and stuff like that. He's running errands for his wife. Because of this, there's never really a feeling of being on an epic adventure, because there's always a someone somewhere that you know you have to return to.

I can easily imagine a Monkey Island game without even seeing Elaine once, because we've almost had that in both of the first games. Elaine was more or less a minor character (important role in the story of the first game, but very minor in terms of screentime) in MI1 and 2. Now, every Monkey Island is more or less forced to write her in somehow. I can imagine it's very easy to make up stories for Guybrush, but it's harder to figure out Elaine's role in it. MI2 started out how every Monkey Island SHOULD start out, imo. A clear goal, one that takes more or less the whole game. In MI1, the goal was also very clear from the beginning, that's what they call brilliant game design.

The goal used to be very simple. Now it's more or less about helping Elaine out by doing running her errands, or saving her from the evil clutches of LeChuck. They are simple, but they're honestly not something I felt excited about during the game. What was fun was becoming a pirate (wonder what happens when I finally become one!), looking for Monkey Island (wow, a whole new island, this game is HUGE! - remember that feeling back in the day?). Save Elaine... (well, okay, I guess I'm getting close to the ending). Looking for Big Whoop (oh, third map piece, I'm getting closer, I can't wait to find out what Big Whoop is!). Escaping and defeating LeChuck (oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit, he's a fucking ZOMBIE!!!!!).

To me, all during ToMI, I never even thought about the main goal, because there were so many goals. Every episode had it's own goals, and when those goals were reached, that's when I was suddenly reminded on WHY I did it, and the main story suddenly kickstarted again.

The story of the game kind felt like it was told during the opening scene or the closing scene in every episode. Every episode felt so disconnected to the final goal.

What were we talking about again?
  • edited January 2011
    New record. Took one post to go off topic :P
  • edited January 2011
    At first glance they may seem like a mismatch, but they are both driven and do not give up. Guybrush needs someone to be serious and keep an eye on the bigger picture, and Elaine needs someone to make her laugh an remember that there is fun to be had..

They are a good match if you look at it like that.

Also in real life there is NO perfect relationship... it takes a lot of hard work to make things work.... mistakes will be made.. the strong couples are the ones that can forgive the others shortcomings the payoff is having someone there when you need them.... and be on your side even when nobody else is.
  • edited January 2011
    I love CMI to death, but having Guybrush and Elaine marry really wreaked havoc on the franchise. It was a really dumb thing to do, story-wise.
  • edited January 2011
    mmikkel wrote: »
    I love CMI to death, but having Guybrush and Elaine marry really wreaked havoc on the franchise. It was a really dumb thing to do, story-wise.

I've not met many that shares the exact same sentiment as me. Good to see I'm not alone. :)
  • edited January 2011
    mmikkel wrote: »

I love CMI, and I loved the idea...Guybrush isn't a rugged, pirate, bad ass type to me, he's very human and I don't see anything wrong with him being wedded...
  • edited January 2011
    That's not the point... it's having less freedom when making up new and exciting adventures for Guybrush because they always have to write in Elaine in some way. I think she's got a far too big a role in the last two games.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah. I remember when Guybrush tells LeChuck: "Listen. See this ring? It means that Elaine and I are married. Hitched. Cohabitating. Eternally betrothed. Till death do us part. Got it!?"
    Guybrush's words seem to foreshadow what happens in Chapter 4, and are even repeated by LeChuck in Chapter 5. At least Guybrush and Elaine renew their wedding vows once he returns to life at the end of Chapter 5, know what I mean?
  • edited January 2011
    StarEye wrote: »
    That's not the point... it's having less freedom when making up new and exciting adventures for Guybrush because they always have to write in Elaine in some way. I think she's got a far too big a role in the last two games.

Freedom the first and second game still revolve around Elaine practically! :confused: That's mostly what I remember about the first two games...both plots are tied to Elaine...
  • edited January 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    Freedom the first and second game still revolve around Elaine practically! :confused: That's mostly what I remember about the first two games...both plots are tied to Elaine...

Well, while the point in the second half of the game was to save Elaine from the evil clutches of Ghost Pirate LeChuck (tm), she didn't really have much screentime. I wouldn't exactly say the complete game revolved around here either. It obviously revolved around Guybrush first becoming a pirate, then going on his first big adventure.

In MI2, they really just happened to cross paths, so she had extremely little to do with the overall plot (she only happened to be the ancestor of Captain Marley who had one of the map pieces). While I can agree that part of SOMI's plot revolved around Elaine, saying MI2's plot revolved around her is GIGANTIC stretch.
  • edited January 2011
    Whatever, I can tell just from this post that MI2 is your favorite game. I can also tell it's not worth arguing because you've wrote more than you realize in that post...

It's pointless to go on...it's a bore. Both of us would be stupid and closed minded to go on about how things have to always be the same when 10 million people enjoy the change and another 10 million don't...

Conversations like these only reveal who the other person you're talking to is...things are the way they are and obviously there's a reason behind this one.

Personally, My least favorites are the first two. But who cares about opinions, when forums are just for conversations/ arguments with no real validation beyond your own personal standards? Lucas Arts/ TTGs doesn't really care, they made a game, they had writers, it is what it is, it was planned, it's cannon...

This is pointless...why should I argue your perception? Why should I argue your perspective? The fact is all the games have Elaine. I personally thought she was a important, interesting character, and she's been here since the first game...and in my opinion is a important part of the Guybrush character and she's in all 5 games...

Whatever...
  • edited January 2011
    You seem upset.
  • edited January 2011
    You seem upset.

I got to go take a big doodo in a few minutes.
  • dradra
    edited January 2011
    i never liked Elaine because she always came off as kind of a bitchy person, and i never liked how she treats guybrush. she claims she love him and trusts him but, she never listens to him heck she barely act he there half the time, she's always calling him an idiot, and she treats him more like an errand boy then a husband.

to be honest i often wonder if she even really even loves him. i mean other then in CMI were she said "he's the only man i ever loved" and, i TOMI when she had the pox wanted to ravish him and at the ending she rarely show any emotion toward him at all. in EMI she wouldn't even correct people when they called her Governor Marley and not threepwood.

and she has so little respect for him. i mean he risks his life to save her time and again but she gives him not so much as a thank you. she like "i can save my self" or "do some thing". well if she's all that then way dose she always get kidnapped or getting guybrush to do things for her.

then Morgan came and i was like finally some who give him respect and then i see how jealous Elaine got when she smelt her on guybrush and the epic bar cat fight they had. i was like awesome finally some one to give Elaine a run for her money. heck I'm hoping in season 2 (if they make it.) that we see more of it cause since guybrush died death did them part so he up for gabs and i hope Elaine's ready for a fight
  • edited January 2011
    dra wrote: »
    i never liked Elaine because she always came off as kind of a bitchy person, and i never liked how she treats guybrush.

She was an absolute sweetheart in the first game..
  • edited January 2011
    She was just acting to get into his pants. A lot of things can be said about Guybrush, but he's most definately more attractive than the average pirate in the Monkey Island universe.
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    She was an absolute sweetheart in the first game..

This post is so flowery and sugary.
  • edited January 2011
    Its true ... GT breaks into her house and she is all "that's OK you can take my stuff"
  • edited February 2011
    Its true ... GT breaks into her house and she is all "that's OK you can take my stuff"

I think that was just her way of saying. I was going to have a garage sale anyways...

But seriously, I think it was because it showed she accepted him for who he was.
  • edited February 2011
    The reason their marriage was a bad idea, in my opinion, is that it doesn't really work with Guybrush' character to be married. He's a very, very boyish and childlike figure. Having him married feels wrong, and takes away from his character. Now, I'm all for character development, but marriage can't really be construed as character development, it's just a restriction.

This in addition to what others have said; where's the adventure when you know you need to go home to your wife eventually? Marriage is mundane, restrictive and has brought no laughs to the franchise.

It's currently ranking #1 on the Monkey Island Fail Scale, closely followed by the Monkey Robot.
  • edited February 2011
    That's a good point actually, what HAVE Elaine and Guybrush's marriage actually added to the games? Imo, absolutely nothing, and when the game reminds us about it, it's not really funny.
  • edited February 2011
    I disagree I think it added emotion and meaning when Guybrush dies in ToMI... It meant more since they have made a commitment to each other.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm fairly sure that scene could be just as possible without them being married. Heck, even the first two games had emotions (in a silly/funny way). When someone close to you dies, you don't really give a crap about wether or not they're commited - emotion takes control and it's all about wether you care about the person or not. I don't think they needed to be married at all to have a scene like filled to the brim with emotions. If they were brother and sister, or just very close friends (or just in love with eachother knowing fully well it wouldn't work), that scene could have been just as strong.
  • edited February 2011
    I like there marrage. It made the Ring bit at the end emotinal and showed they are ment to be togeather as husband and wife.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah.
    At the end of Chapter 5, when Guybrush and Elaine reunite, he takes her hand with a smile and puts her ring back on her finger to renew their wedding vows. At least I believe so. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    Yeah.
    At the end of Chapter 5, when Guybrush and Elaine reunite, he takes her hand with a smile and puts her ring back on her finger to renew their wedding vows. At least I believe so. :)

That's not all they renewed:rolleyes:
  • edited February 2011
    YEAH.... they also renewed their subscription to TV guide.
  • edited February 2011
    YEAH.... they also renewed their subscription to TV guide.

LOL, and Guybrush to PlunderBunnies too...:p

Seriously though, that is such a hot thing to call your woman. Plunderbunny. OMG! Ohhh giggity...

Personally, I'm attracted towards their marriage. I can not define accurately why, I'd only give subjective perspectives of the way I percieve myself in.
  • edited February 2011
    Their relationship reminds me a lot of my parents'. Guybrush is like my dad in that he's completely well-intentioned, but very absent-minded and clumsy. Elaine is like my mom in that she's much more inhibited and "together." Also like my mom, she clearly wears the pants in the relationship. lol
  • edited February 2011
    So he's Herman Toothrot then, not Guybrush.
  • edited February 2011
    So he's Herman Toothrot then, not Guybrush.

That would mean he and Elaine...*shudders*
  • edited February 2011

well it belongs in a museum
Sign in to comment in this discussion.