Hit The Road- Anything I need to know?

edited February 2011 in Sam & Max
I just bought a copy of Hit the Road off of Amazon. Is there anything I should know about the game before I start playing it?

Like, are there issues with the games if you try to play it on an XP Computer?

Help me out, please.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Use ScummVM and you will have no problems, most likely. I had no problems on my mac, anyway.
  • edited January 2011
    Yep, definitely use ScummVM for best compatibility.
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah, use ScummVM. Also, expect this to be the hardest of the SnM games you've played.
  • edited January 2011
    Click on EVERYTHING.
  • edited January 2011
    "I cant use these two things together"
  • edited January 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    Click on EVERYTHING.

SPECIALLY when you start in the office, trust me.
  • edited January 2011
    Dont be afraid to use your little buddy.
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »

This. This right here held me back for a half year.
  • edited January 2011

I can hear it in my head! Get out, get out, GET OUT!!
  • edited January 2011
    Look, now you broke Sam. If his pathetic whimpering wasn't so hilarious...
  • edited January 2011
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Expect this to be the hardest of the SnM games you've played.
    Click on EVERYTHING.
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    SPECIALLY when you start in the office, trust me.

Judging from all the advice I'm getting, I'm in for a real treat!
  • edited January 2011
    yeah, I'm going to give a blatant one, click on the rat hole.
  • edited January 2011
    You ARE in for a real treat. You'll have to think VERY outside of the box with this one. But it's a blast.
  • edited January 2011
    Judging from all the advice I'm getting, I'm in for a real treat!

Yes, you are. HtR is less polished than the Telltale Seasons, but crazier, and it has more complicated puzzles.
  • edited January 2011
    StrongBrush1, here's my advice...

After you've played it... play it again. And again. And again. And again.

You WILL like it. Trust me.
  • edited January 2011
    This game is one of the best! It is quite hard at times though. I got stuck quite a lot on my first playthrough, but only asked for help twice (I'm so proud that I managed to figure out most of it on my own)! If you're like me and you hate looking up the answers, then ask us for a hint. It's better that way because we could give you the area you need to focus on, but it'll still be you solving the puzzles.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, you are. HtR is less polished than the Telltale Seasons, but crazier, and it has more complicated puzzles.

Yeah it's like

Telltale, plausible situations played out ridiculous

HTR, Incredibly weird situation played out as if it's incredibly normal, Or at least that's how Sam feels, He loses that feeling in the trailer for Freelance Police,
  • edited January 2011
    Definitely. And don't forget to get back to us with your experiences. It'll be interesting to see the views of someone who played the Telltale games first.
  • edited January 2011
    I played the Telltale games first.
  • edited January 2011
    I played the Telltale games first.

Me too.
  • edited January 2011

Me too...
  • edited January 2011
    Remolay wrote: »
    Yeah it's like

Telltale, plausible situations played out ridiculous

HTR, Incredibly weird situation played out as if it's incredibly normal, Or at least that's how Sam feels, He loses that feeling in the trailer for Freelance Police,

I didn't have any such bad feeling with the seasons (there were some moments, yes, but there were some in HtR, too - I was completely baffled by the ending initially, to name one).
    To me, the difference is mainly that HtR was born in an age when you were free to pull all the plugs, and the good people working on the game happily did so. Telltale didn't have that luxury, they had to be very careful to avoid being an idol of like 10 customers. Also, Telltale's games have more mature dialog and humour - sometimes it's better, sometimes I prefer HtR's all-out craziness.
  • edited January 2011
    I just got Hit the Road in the mail today. Gonna install and play it now!
  • edited January 2011
    Well, it took half a day and several computer installations, but I finished the Game!

My reward? I get to shoot a bunch of toys!
  • edited January 2011

Same thing happen to me.
  • edited January 2011

I think there's a lot more reward in
    throwing back the western part of United States into the jurassic period
    , but that may only be me :D
  • edited January 2011
    My personal opinion is that this game is tricky to pass, more so than the new Sam&Max games. As everyone else suggested, click everything, leave no stone unturned.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, it took half a day and several computer installations, but I finished the Game!

you finished the game in half a day without hints? I'm in awe!
  • edited February 2011
    you finished the game in half a day without hints? I'm in awe!

Well, a year or two ago I watched a Walkthrough of the Game that gave me a basic idea of what i needed to do. I didn't remember everything, but it was enough to help me get through the game.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, a year or two ago I watched a Walkthrough of the Game that gave me a basic idea of what i needed to do.

Wow... the only thing I ever remembered from watching a HtR walkthrough was to click on the rat hole.
  • TeaTea
    edited February 2011
    In case you're a little unclear on the whole ScummVM thing:
    Download it from here

Open your Sam and Max disc in explorer, go into the SAMNMAX folder and copy the following files to your hard drive:
    SAMNMAX.000
    SAMNMAX.001
    MONSTER.SOU
    Those are the only files you need. Put them in a folder like C:\GAMES\SAMNMAX. Doesn't really matter where they go (I personally keep them on my second hard drive, I:\Games\LucasArts\Sam and Max - Hit the Road, on Linux I put them in ~/.games).

Open ScummVM and click Add Game, navigate to C:\GAMES and click on SAMNMAX and just click add game. Then begin.

To make a desktop shortcut, create a shortcut to scummvm.exe, right click and properties. At the very end of the target field, after the last speech mark, simply add:
    samnmax

That shortcut will automagically start Sam and Max for you, skipping the game selector.
  • FlyFly
    edited February 2011
    My tip - if you need hints, ask on the forums. Don't google for a walkthrough - there are NO spoilertexted guides and plenty of them tell you to collect items you have no idea you're even looking for (and I'm not talking casual kleptomania here - I'm talking 'go and find this item for me, here's the clue you'll need' stuff).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.