what do you like about sam & max?

edited February 2011 in Sam & Max
I mean, besides the cool jokes and their creative design.

Their style is unique, I really like the "retro" factor with sam & max, when I read the comics or play the game I like the feeling of the '80 / '90.

Another thing I like is that in my opinion they represent what friendship really is, enjoy every moment of your life with your friends and don't really care about the future, during the credits of the city that dare to not sleep I realized that Sam & Max are very similar to me and a friend I had, the expression on the face of Sam was the same I have from the day of my friend death, I suddently started to cry and I've never thought that sam & max where able to make me live again that scenario. Somehow, they are the only thing that make me think about my past with my friend without feel bad, I really have to thank them.

and what's your story about sam & max? what do you like of them?
(I'm sorry about my english, but I'm italian)

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Your english is perfect, don't worry :D

It's hard for me to say exactly what I like about them, I like their lifestyle of junk food, doing crazy stuff, fighting the silliest crimes (saving christmas etc) and having an awesome car!
  • edited February 2011
    The biggest for me is the comedy.

I was first introduced to S&M with the original LA game Hit the Road... at the time S&M seemed like a huge open adventure with great visuals, a catchy soundtrack and fully recorded dialog when most games barely had a story when they did it was all text. I was about 12-13 years old and it seemed so brilliant... Adventure games have been a favorite of mine since I first played the Kings Quest and Monkey Island games... Sam and Max have been a part of my life for about 17-18 years... they seem like old friends.
  • edited February 2011
    I like the world they live in, where anything can happen and they can do anything they want!
  • edited February 2011
    They make me laugh and they're cute and they're morally questionable. True love, I'm telling you XD
  • edited February 2011
    The "zaniness" maybe? I like the fact the games don't seem to be too restrained by realism.
  • edited February 2011
    GeorgeC wrote: »
    Your english is perfect, don't worry :D

It's hard for me to say exactly what I like about them, I like their lifestyle of junk food, doing crazy stuff, fighting the silliest crimes (saving christmas etc) and having an awesome car!

ahah the desoto sure is something to be proud of :D
  • edited February 2011
    I like the pleasant, but bizzare, world takes place in.

It's a world where everyone is accepted (businesses in the real world usually refuse to serve cockroaches and talking animals), people can marry who or whatever they want(Abe+ Sybil) and it has a psychopathic lagomorph for president.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2011
    We all probably have a friend or two who somehow has the most incredible things happen to them, who seem to live the same life as you do day to day, except that when you're apart your friend has somehow gotten himself thrown out of a bar for punching an Olympic swimmer or befriended three people on the street and suddenly traveled half way across the world with them or whatever. Sam & Max have always struck me as the exponentially more extreme, weird, version of that friend.

I like how Sam & Max are magnets for the weird. I always get the impression that they occupy the exact same world, the exact same New York, that we do, but they end up finding all the cool stuff. Or, maybe more accurately, it finds them. Not always by choice on either party's part, but Sam & Max lead a blessed (or cursed) life that somehow has created a mutual attraction between them and the weirdest shit our existence has to offer. And they're just used to it. Of all the streets in the world, theirs is the one a moderately-competent space gorilla lands on when visiting Earth. The fact that this happens to Sam & Max and not someone actually important -- and that Sam & Max seem to ambiently recognize this, and reciprocate by not treating the landing of an alien species on their doorstep as anything really worth noting -- is why I devour any Sam & Max story that comes along.
  • edited February 2011
    Jake wins the internet.
  • edited February 2011
    I like their attitude of lighthearted cynicism. They've got no illusions about how awful their world and human nature are, but it doesn't get them down. They just smile through it all, find great humor in it and love the world for all its interesting flaws. That's the best way to live, really.
  • edited February 2011
    Harald B wrote: »
    I like their attitude of lighthearted cynicism. They've got no illusions about how awful their world and human nature are, but it doesn't get them down. They just smile through it all, find great humor in it and love the world for all its interesting flaws. That's the best way to live, really.

that's an aspect of them that I really like :D
  • edited February 2011
    I think it's just the absolute insanity of most of it.
  • edited February 2011
    The "zaniness" maybe? I like the fact the games don't seem to be too restrained by realism.

+1
    (and some more characters so that the forum would accept my post. there.)
  • edited February 2011
    They make a cool team work. Sam it's the simple yet overtalking brain and Max the crazy one; Sam it's stylish with his incredible classic clothes and Max, it's naked!XD; Sam don't respect the law when it's necesary and Max... .... Oh wait, he's aslo like Sam.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I was about to say 'Sam and Max' but I guess since we elaborate on the term, I guess I should add too, since I do have a lot of things to say about the series.

I mainly like it because of the comedy, I'll shyly admit. A lot of people have chosen more serious themes, but this is the main reason. The script of Sam and Max isn't as half-arsed as some animated comedy, where it either circles around a character doing supposedly 'funny' things, getting humiliated, or just a load of pop-culture references. Where Sam and Max stands out is actually devising out the jokes, and actually having characters that are FUNNY, Charming, and probably the best part, enjoyable. I gotta admit, I'm on S2Ep. 1 so far, and I haven't found a character I really hated to the core yet (which is a rarity, because most of time there's at least ONE character I normally hate in a series)

That's mainly what I find most enjoyable about sam and max. There's also a lot of enjoyable stuff about it too, but what I said here is mainly what I find the best about it. ^^
  • edited February 2011
    Sonekana wrote: »
    I gotta admit, I'm on S2Ep. 1 so far, and I haven't found a character I really hated to the core yet (which is a rarity, because most of time there's at least ONE character I normally hate in a series)

Not even the Soda Poppers? You've got a high endurance for characters.
  • edited February 2011
    It's good writing, good humor and fantastic characters. Sam and Max do not have a typical comedy duo relationship ether. It's not good cop bad cop. It's One crazy freelance police officer with and even crazier one. Admitingly Sam is the more normal one but he is crazy, it's how the two get a long so well. Every joke flows well, I'm never being led into a obvious punchline.

Also I just wanna say I also love Sam and Max for it's art stlye. I know it's silly but I just love how it's been drawn. It's simple and cartoony but unique. I love how the teeth are curved and the small eyes as they contrast with their giant mouths. It leads to a lot of cool expressions, mostly Max's toothly grin. I actually saw a peice of fanart recently in which he was given sharp pointed teeth and the likability was sucked from the character. The reason why is because when you make them so sharp you end up making him seem more threatning. I mean Max is don't get me wrong but with teeth like that I see him more as something from a horror movie. The way Steve draws them rounded gives a feeling of he is isane and will mostly likely harm you but adds the knowledge that he does have SOME self control.

Yeah I know I'm just typing crap but thems ma reasons XD
  • edited February 2011
    Sonekana wrote: »
    I gotta admit, I'm on S2Ep. 1 so far, and I haven't found a character I really hated to the core yet (which is a rarity, because most of time there's at least ONE character I normally hate in a series)

S2Ep. 3, you will get the most annoying character in the history of Sam and Max that everyone seems to like. Jurgen. Killing him was fun, but hving him just show up again in the next to episodes was FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Then he comes back, tolerable (Because of "Don't bite me! Don't bite me!), in season 3.
  • FlyFly
    edited February 2011
    It's genuinely funny. Not only is the writing witty and brilliantly phrased, but it's smart enough to have a satirical edge as well. And I admire how uncompromising it is - it's too edgy for mainstream children's fare, too playful and fun for mainstream adult fare, and yet it's just happy being that way. It's not trying to be for children or adults, so it manages to be appealing to everyone. There's also something weirdly nostalgic about it. I discovered it in my late teens, and yet I immediately felt like I'd known it all my life. I can't explain why.

I suppose in terms of message, I just love the whole 'go outside and have adventures' feel to it. If you think about the world Sam and Max live in for like, a second, it's pretty horrible, but Sam and Max don't - they just charge around and go on adventures and eat disgusting food and save the world and drive like idiots and it's just so normal for them.
  • edited February 2011
    There's a lot I like, but I find their friendship is what really endears me to the series. They've been friends forever, go everywhere together, and are the only ones who really understand one another. They're also dependent on each other. Having Max around helps Sam let loose and be crazy, and having Sam around keeps Max from going off the deep end (or landing in jail).

I often feel like their dependency is what keeps me invested, and indeed a lot of story lines are driven by Sam's need to rescue Max (or vice versa), or their voluntary separation and eventual reunion.
  • edited February 2011
    Sam (to the President and Chuckles): Your co-dependency sickens me.
    Max: And it sickens me in exactly the same way! Doesn't it, Max? I mean, Sam.
  • edited February 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    Sam (to the President and Chuckles): Your co-dependency sickens me.
    Max: And it sickens me in exactly the same way! Doesn't it, Max? I mean, Sam.

Yeah, I had that quote in mind. :D
  • edited February 2011
    The Stories,music,and Sam.
  • edited February 2011
    well, I see a lot of people that likes sam & max for a lot of different motives, I'm glad that we can still expect more story about them thanks to telltale!
    hopefully we'll see new comics if steve decides to work again on the characters :D
  • edited February 2011
    lombre wrote: »
    Not even the Soda Poppers? You've got a high endurance for characters.

LOL I guess I do xD
  • edited February 2011
    What? I like the soda poppers

i think the only character I didn't really like was girl stinky
  • edited February 2011
    I think even the creators on the DVD commentary talked about how much people disliked the Soda Poppers.
  • edited February 2011
    But but they were hilarious :(
  • edited February 2011
    The only characters I don't like are Jurgen and Charlie Ho-tep
  • edited February 2011
    Remolay wrote: »
    Charlie Ho-tep

Hello folks..
  • edited February 2011
    I'll just say that I LOVE the season 2 ending
  • edited February 2011
    I just love the absurdity of it all. Readers of the Discworld novels or Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy can identify. There’s entire universes and dimensions locked within our minds waiting to be unleashed. Too many of our fictional movies, books, and games are firmly grounded in our established reality.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.