Escape From Monkey Island PS2 port, is it any good?

edited February 2011 in Tales of Monkey Island
I recently got Broken Sword for the PS-one, it's terrible. Loading screens, bad res, buggy, bad bad port...We decided to hook a PC up to the TV and we are playing it that way instead. On top of all that the Ps version doesn't work well on a PS3 PS two/one emulator.

Has anyone tried the Monkey Island 4 PS2 port? If so is it buggy, if so, does it work on a PS3 well?

Thanks...

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Back when it came out I had a PS2 copy of the MI4.... it was a decent port.

I have no clue how well it works on the PS3 system, because I have no clue where my copy went .... probably lost in a move...
  • edited February 2011
    I've been looking for the Japanese version. I found the Broken Sword japanese version.
  • edited February 2011
    I think the PS2 port of EMI is the best version of the game, honestly.
  • edited February 2011
    PS2 EMI is great actually, I guess loading times are longer and the graphics aren't quite as clean as the PC version for the normal reasons, but otherwise it's just as good as the PC version. Maybe even better, because the PC version requires you to take notes at one point, whereas the PS2 version actually does it for you.

Can't help you with running it on a PS3 though.
  • edited February 2011
    I hate the PC version but love the PS2 version the controls are easyer and it has a map of monkey kombat to make it much easyer.
  • edited February 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    I hate the PC version but love the PS2 version the controls are easyer and it has a map of monkey kombat to make it much easyer.

The controls are the same, if you use a gamepad on your PC. :)
  • edited February 2011
    StarEye wrote: »

Isn't the movement camera relative on the PS2 whereas the PC one is character relative? Or was there an option to change that that I'm forgetting about?
  • edited February 2011

the Joy sticks easyer to use. I suppose I could buy one 4 the PC.
  • edited February 2011
    Isn't the movement camera relative on the PS2 whereas the PC one is character relative? Or was there an option to change that that I'm forgetting about?

Yup, you can change it to whatever you like. Just like in Grim Fandango, which also supported gamepads. The default movement is set to character relative because gamepad isn't the default setting (keyboard obviously is, since it's on PC).
  • edited February 2011
    PS2 EMI is great actually, I guess loading times are longer and the graphics aren't quite as clean as the PC version for the normal reasons, but otherwise it's just as good as the PC version. Maybe even better, because the PC version requires you to take notes at one point, whereas the PS2 version actually does it for you.

Can't help you with running it on a PS3 though.

Loading Times are slightly longer, BUT, Graphics were slightly better on the PS2 version as long as you count the default settings (both run at 640x480), the PC gets better graphics when you hack it to run in higher resolution, but by default, the PS2 was better as it had some higher poly models for characters, and the Monkey Head was an actual model itself rather than a background art set.

But really, the only main difference between them is the loading times. There are other smaller things, such as the PS2 version going into Widescreen Mode when you get an in-game cutscene, and the PS2 FMV's having a subtitle option, The PS2 version also had better music quality due to the DVD space compared to the PC's normal CD space. One other small change was the text, the PS2 didn't use the same font as the PC version, instead opting for a basic font.

PS2 extras include a built in Monkey Kombat chart which you could access during the fights and a Bonus Concept Art gallery, which was like the only place you could hear the full track "Melee Island Docks" music, since in the game it's only heard for like 10 seconds.
  • edited February 2011
    It's better than the pc version, but it's still the same tedious game :|
    I could play the ps version on the pc using Pcsx2 (PS2 emulator) and it runs pretty well.
  • edited February 2011
    I never had a problem with the PC version.
  • edited February 2011
    I personally thought it looked great and played fine. The load times are not that bad. Then again I played the PS2 game on my PS3 about a year or so ago and it upscales the game so maybe that is why I thought it looked better. I hadn't played the PC game though in years so take my comparison with a grain of salt. Also you can't play PS2 games on the newer ps3 machine. Stupid Sony.
  • edited February 2011
    I have a old PS3 model, on purpose :D I prefer it for several reasons, that being one of them.
  • edited February 2011
    doodo! wrote: »
    I have a old PS3 model, on purpose :D I prefer it for several reasons, that being one of them.
    Yeah I hate they stopped support for PS2 games on the PS3. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who likes to go back and play old titles I missed or just want to re-experience. Plus its nice to have a 'working' library of titles. Instead of a bunch of expensive coasters.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.