Help with crashes in S&M on PC?

edited February 2011 in Sam & Max
Hello there!

I would really appreciate some technical help for Sam and Max.

I bought the S&M complete collection a couple of days ago, and I downloaded the 1st episode of the 2nd season. It works fine, despite some lagging. However, the real problem are the crashes that occur during the game. It seems that whenever I change locations, i.e go from the town to in front of Santa's workshop, the screen will stick on the black screen that appears before you change locations, and then I get a white screen with a huge square in the top-left corner. And then the usual error-reporting window (on Windows XP, that's the computer I use) pops up.

So what should I do? I had the graphics down to the lowest computer screen setting (I can't remember, but it's the lowest for sure, because it runs fastest on that setting) the computer I use is a desktop Windows XP with an eMachines monitor. I've had this computer for probably about 6-8 years now, and it always pops up with a window stating my virtual memory is too low. Is Sam and Max too memory heavy for my computer? I run Deus Ex on this computer and it has no problem, along with Bejewled, and a couple others.

Any help would be awesome!

Comments

• edited February 2011
    What's your ram size?
  • edited February 2011
    Shyguy wrote: »
    What's your ram size?

I believe 512 RAM.
  • edited February 2011
    That's pretty low, and that could be your problem. But since you can run Deus Ex with no problems, I don't quite know.
  • edited February 2011
    Shyguy wrote: »
    That's pretty low, and that could be your problem. But since you can run Deus Ex with no problems, I don't quite know.

Okay, I see. My dad suggested it could be the version of the DirectX that could be causing the problem, but I'm not for sure.

Thanks so much though! ^^
  • edited February 2011
    512 is very low. Make sure your disk drive isn't full and check it for errors. With that little amount of memory your machine is having to swap stuff to virtual memory, which writes it to disk, in order to free up enough to load the next scene. If there are any disk errors or if your swap file is too small it will cause crashes. I'm not even sure 512 even meets the minimum requirements? To be sure right click 'my computer' and click properties. It should tell you how much memory right there.

You can your swap file by right clicking my computer > under properties and advanced > performance. I think.

Yep here are the requirements: I recommend you upgrade.
    PC System Requirements:
    Operating system:
    Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7
    Processor: 2.0 GHz +
    (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent rec.)
    Memory: 1GB
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    Video: 128MB
    DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)
    DirectX™: Version 9.0c or better
  • edited February 2011
    Thank you so much! I'm looking into it now. We cleaned the computer of Internet files that were using up the RAM, and it runs a little better now. I'm playing S2Ep.2 now, and with the computer a little cleaned, it runs with less crashes. Your advice is really helpful, I will look into it some more. One question though, how would I check my hard drive for errors and make sure it's not full? I'm a little curious. Thank you!
  • edited February 2011
    Well first Internet files or files in general don't take up memory. They take up hard drive space.

To check drive space just double click on 'my computer'. Right click the C: drive and click properties. From there you can see drive space free and used. Also there is a tab there that says tools. From there you can check you disk for errors.
  • edited February 2011
    Well first Internet files or files in general don't take up memory. They take up hard drive space.

To check drive space just double click on 'my computer'. Right click the C: drive and click properties. From there you can see drive space free and used. Also there is a tab there that says tools. From there you can check you disk for errors.

Oh, I see. Thank you so much, this really helps. ^^
Sign in to comment in this discussion.