Eat, Sleep and Rot: A Path to Illumination

In Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, Guybrush keeps looking at the book titles in the bookshelf and loses his voice over the coughing and wheezing despite the Voodoo Lady's warning. One of the book titles that I'm drawing a blank on is "Eat, Sleep and Rot: A Path to Illumination". I mean, I don't have a clue on what it's a spoof of, but it may be a spoof on the title of Elizabeth Gilbert's memoir Eat, Pray, Love. Of course I could be mistaken. For those of you who are reading-book fans, do you know what "Eat, Sleep and Rot: A Path to Illumination" is supposed to be a spoof of? :confused:

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Hi!

That was actually written by me :) Yes, you are correct, it's a spoof of Eat, Pray, Love. Awesome book, good-ish movie.

I added "a path to illumination" because I felt it sounds too random. That way, you know what the book deals with and the contradicting images make it funny.

Eh, I feel like I'm explaining my own joke, awkward sensation. :p
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks, Andrei. And I suppose that "Hex Yourself Healthy" may be a spoof on the title of Charles and Frances Hunter's 2008 jokebook, Laugh Yourself Healthy, and that "Living with the Non-Living" could be either a spoof on either the title of Rock Scully's 1995 memoir Living With the Dead: Twenty Years on the Bus With Garcia and the Grateful Dead, or the title of the 2008 fantasy novel Living with the Dead, the ninth in the Women of the Underworld series, right?
  • edited February 2011
    Erm, I just wrote that one and also "There and back again...and again...and again..." referencing both LeChuck and Lord of the Rings (My favorite movie EVER). :D

I have no idea regarding the other titles. Although I can confirm that many many many users submitted the "Everything you wanted to know about *something* but were afraid to ask", hehehe! I can't remember what version of *something* ended up in the game. :p
  • edited February 2011
    Erm, I just wrote that one and also "There and back again...and again...and again..." referencing both LeChuck and Lord of the Rings (My favorite movie EVER). :D

I think you mean The Hobbit, or There and Back Again. Oh, and BTW, I'm drawing a blank on "La historia fantàstica de Pollo Diablo: Las plumas de la muerte!" (though the name "El Pollo Diablo" itself is a reference to The Curse of Monkey Island) or on "How to Tame a Three-Headed Monkey" (which might not be a spoof at all), and I'm not sure if "Killing Time on Flotsam Island" is either a spoof on the title of Judith Guest's 1988 crime novel Killing Time in St. Cloud or a spoof on the title of Jane Kelly's 1997 crime novel Killing Time in Ocean City. I don't know.
  • edited February 2011
    How to tame a Three-Headed Monkey reminds me of How to tame your dragon. Perhaps it's a nod towards that movie. Never seen it, heard it's good.

Yes, I meant the Hobbit, but that book appears in the end of The Return of the King. Either way, people get it :p

Killing time on Flotsam Island... I'm not sure it's an actual reference since it's the book that keeps repeating itself at the end. Probably signaling the player that he's just killing time right now. :)
  • edited February 2011
    How to tame a Three-Headed Monkey reminds me of How to tame your dragon. Perhaps it's a nod towards that movie. Never seen it, heard it's good.

Actually, it's How to Train Your Dragon, which was made into a film on March 26, 2010. Of course, Tales of Monkey Island was released many months before the movie. So basically, the How to Train Your Dragon series is a series of ten books set in a fictional Viking world and published in 2003 as children's novels written by British author Cressida Cowell. I get it now! Thanks! :)
  • edited February 2011
    Wow... are you, like, a librarian?! O.O

Haha, seriously, how come this interest for little references? :)
  • edited February 2011
    I learned that from Wikipedia, I guess. :D

Oh, and the book version of The Hobbit came out before the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit (1937)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings (1954-55)
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, I know that, I'm a fan :p
  • edited February 2011
    Wow! How to Be a Pirate, huh? :)
  • edited February 2011
    I'm more piratey than you™ anyway so I wouldn't need such a book, ha!

:p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.