The scene at the Vaycaylian wind control device in ToMI Chapter 1...

I remember when, after Guybrush rearranges the first wind idol near the wind control device, De Singe arrives with a sniper rifle and makes a threat at Guybrush to hand over his hand, followed by a brief period of staring silence in confrontation before Guybrush breaks the silence and De Singe fires the rifle. I've been wondering if that scene is reminiscent of the "showdown at high noon" scene from Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy", most notably For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Also, the "Clever boy" line from Winslow just before he was knocked off the Narwhal, was this a reference to the "Clever girl" line from Jurassic Park?

Edit: Perhaps this should be the 'references thread'.
  • edited February 2011
    Perhaps Guybrush's death scene at the end of ToMI Chapter 4 might be reminiscent to Li Mu-bai's death scene near the end of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon? Of course, Guybrush is not poisoned, though.
  • edited February 2011
    Heh, since we're on the subject of references:

http://talesofmi.net/?p=386

This was my second post at the talesofmi blog. :D
  • edited February 2011
    Hey, Andrei, I think you missed the part about the “The stuff that dreams are made of” quote that came not from Indiana Jones, but from the 1941 film The Maltese Falcon (check out the "last lines" thing in the "Quotes" section).

Also, the words "X marks the spot" are NOT an Indy reference at all. Most likely they are a reference to the letter X marking the location on a map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_marks_the_spot
  • edited February 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    Also, the words "X marks the spot" are NOT an Indy reference at all. Most likely they are a reference to the letter X marking the location on a map.

But that's the point: In "Last Crusade" when Indy teaches his archaeology class, he states "You do not follow maps to buried treasure and X never, ever, marks the spot.", which is of course even more funny when the he finds the knight's tomb in the Venice library under the X on the floor, and he's got to admit "X marks the spot...", and now even literally.

So, in a "Monkey Island" game, I'm PRETTY sure, this is referencing Indy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.