Which KQ game is your favorite?

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited March 2011 in Kings Quest Game
Haha... never thought I'd see the day where we'd be encouraged to talk about Sierra games on the Telltale forum (without having to be afraid that LucasArts fans would throw tomatoes at us or something).

Ahem, anyway... I'm curious which of the KQ games is everyone's favorite? Mine's King's Quest 6... traveling back and forth between the islands was a nice element and I loved the sappy love story. (I was a 14 year old girl, it's kind of to be expected.) I might have had a crush on Alexander.

My close second would probably be KQ4. I guess I like the ones that have strong emotional elements. King's Quest 5 should have had that kind of story, what with Graham on a quest to save his family and all, but that game just didn't do it for me. (The artwork was gorgeous though.)

How about everyone else?

EDIT: D'oh, this is a duplicate thread. I didn't see the poll before I posted this. Maybe a mod can combine them?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    6. I never liked the series, but got relatively far into 6 before I kind of gave-up. I also like 1, just because it seems kinda edgy for its time, but I don't know if that's true or not. It's also kinda pretty.
  • edited February 2011
    King's Quest 3 was my favourite. I was hooked from the start. Having to work in secret behind the wizards back, never knowing when he would reappear. Gathering the ingredients needed for the spells. And finally defeating the wizard was a great sense of relief for me.
  • edited February 2011
    I love ALL KQ's games. I am SUPEEEER ecstatic after reading from IGN that Telltale is going to redo KQ's. Perhaps we will see a KQVIII in the future. Who knows?

I just bought Back to the Future last night and boy, I am loving it!
  • edited February 2011
    Kings Quest 5 was the first KQ game I played so that holds a special place, but I think i'd have a tie with either 5, 6 or 7.
  • edited February 2011
    King's Quest 6 definitely. It has the most interesting and well developed story and characters, and the puzzles were great. (The only thing that bothers me about the game are all the failed attempts at grammar jokes clearly written by someone who doesn't know anything about grammar. "Where are you going?" is a complete sentence, damn it! "Where are you going to?" ends the sentence with a preposition, which is frowned upon but still acceptable in Germanic languages, but the "to" isn't necessary; in modern English the adverb "where" has absorbed the meanings of "whither" and "whence," and so it already means "to what place." Gah!)

I also really love KQ4. It had an amazing atmosphere, and the haunted house sequence was genuinely creepy. And KQ3 had a really great premise and puzzle structure.
  • edited February 2011
    5 was the one that got me interested in the series and KQ1 (VGA remake) was the first I played myself.
    Hearing Cedric still makes me smile every time. He is so adorable.
  • edited February 2011
    KQ5. It's the most all-encompassing enchanting fantasy game you can get. It's got everything. Beautiful forest locales, a town, a dark magical forest with an evil witch, underground tunnels where elves live, a desert area with bandits and a magical temple, a snowy dangerous mountain range, a beach with a sea and a set of islands, and the final showdown at Mordack's creepy evil island with a labyrinth basement, dungeon, library, bedroom with a spooky bed, spooky halls with eerie evil decor, and an evil magical laboratory. And then there's the characters. Good wizards, bad wizards, gypsies, bandits, crooked innkeepers, friendly characters, evil witches, a talking tree, gnomes, elves, animals, mermaids, harpies.....the list goes on. It's just an overall exceptionally enchanting tale! And I prefer it to the romanticised KQ6 love story, as fantastic and spectacular as it is.

And the music is so rich and memorable! And it ties into the story of a previous game and starts off the story for the next! It's just great. Fantastic. I love it. KQ3 is a close second, but only because I've been working on the soundtrack for the AGDI remake of it for the past 8 years and have grown attached to it. I've also noticed that KQ3 shares a lot of the same gameplay elements as KQ5 does. Similar locales (desert, snowy mountain, town, etc) much like KQ2 is similar to KQ6 (girl in a tower to rescue).
  • edited February 2011
    V and VI for me
  • edited February 2011
    Part 6. Although I liked part 5 when it was new, I find all the King's Quest games(with the exception of part 6,) to have a lack of a good storyline.

If I am not playing part 6, I find myself playing part 4 esp the zombie and the ghost scenes, so I guess that is my 2nd favorite.
  • edited February 2011
    King's Quest 6 definitely. It has the most interesting and well developed story and characters, and the puzzles were great. (The only thing that bothers me about the game are all the failed attempts at grammar jokes clearly written by someone who doesn't know anything about grammar. "Where are you going?" is a complete sentence, damn it! "Where are you going to?" ends the sentence with a preposition, which is frowned upon but still acceptable in Germanic languages, but the "to" isn't necessary; in modern English the adverb "where" has absorbed the meanings of "whither" and "whence," and so it already means "to what place." Gah!)
    Not to mention the fact that the writers clearly had no clue what a "dangling participle" actually is.

But yes, KQ6 is a great game. I'm not sure I get the love for KQ5, though: that game was just cruel.
  • edited February 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I'm not sure I get the love for KQ5, though: that game was just cruel.

This is one of the best Let's Plays ever. Really good. You can really hear that paw loves this game. But he clearly is annoyed by Cedric.
  • edited February 2011
    KQ5 isn't that bad. Memory exaggerates.
  • edited February 2011
    The first one I still find super enchanting.

As for my favorite? 5, for the fact that the narrator is the Star Wars narrator from Rogue Squadron. :D
  • edited February 2011
    Emily wrote: »
    Haha... never thought I'd see the day where we'd be encouraged to talk about Sierra games on the Telltale forum (without having to be afraid that LucasArts fans would throw tomatoes at us or something).
    I still don't think we'll ever see that day.
  • edited February 2011
    I still don't think we'll ever see that day.

Yea the Sierra/Lucasarts battle was lost long ago, and the perception of Sierra as inferior is going to persist forever now. I still remember the first time I saw somebody with the balls and insanity to say that Lucasarts was the adventure game king. It was somewhere in the mid-late '90s in a PC Gamer or something, where the article mentioned "Lucasarts, always the king of the adventure game genre." I was like, what? Sierra wasn't even dead then, and 1995's Phantasmagoria quite possibly outsold any other 2 Lucasarts adventure games from any year combined. The measly KQ8 outsold Grim Fandango (they were contemporaries) by a 2:1 margin.

Lucasarts was always Sierra's little brother. They were cute and had some solid games, but Sierra was a f---ing behemoth. Sierra's aggregate adventure game sales were obviously higher than Lucasarts's because of sheer volume of titles. But I'd bet that even if you picked out Lucasarts's biggest title and Sierra's biggest title in any given year, Sierra's killed it. Monkey Island for example? No, King's Quest V came out that year and was definitely bigger sales-wise and culturally, despite what revisionist anti-Sierra history says today.

I really would like to see sales figures.
  • edited February 2011
    King's Quest 5! Still remember playing it as a kid. Fun times.
  • edited February 2011
    KQ7.
    Just love that cartoony look and the characters. :)
    And the not dying and having to start all over thing. That was cool too.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2011
    I initially played King's Quest 5 without voices, and Cedric didn't bother me. Years later when I played the talkie version I realized why everyone hates him so much. It really makes a difference.
  • edited February 2011
    Emily wrote: »
    I initially played King's Quest 5 without voices, and Cedric didn't bother me. Years later when I played the talkie version I realized why everyone hates him so much. It really makes a difference.

His voice is sweet and angelic. I love him.
  • edited February 2011
    What I like about Cedric is that he's a fraidy cat while Graham is always calm. I never thought of his voice as being sweet and angelic. I think it's more cute and funny.
  • edited February 2011
    He sounds like a pompous librarian. He'd make a good one. "Most children read absolutely poiiiiiiiisonous trash these days!"
  • edited February 2011
    Cedric has become quite the iconic figure over the years. :)
  • edited February 2011
    I really liked 7, it was a major upgrade graphically, and the tone constantly shifted on you. It made me excited about where the series could go from there, too bad it went to Mask of Eternity :(
  • edited February 2011
    IV, V and VI are my favorites. But if I had to choose one only, I'd pick VI. Such a beautiful, touching tale. I mean, how many games let you challenge the Lord of the Dead himself for the one you love ?!?!

The pinnacle of EPIC storytelling.
  • edited February 2011
    V & VII, because those were the first ones I played and have the fondest memories of.
  • edited February 2011
    I had played text adventures previously, but Kings Quest III was the first graphical adventure I had ever played, and is still my favorite in the series to this day. I loved the idea of collecting items to brew together to make spells (even if it was a copyright kind of thing), and the suspense of never knowing when Manannan would turn up.

Kings Quest IV is a close second, just a lot of great locations and puzzles in that game. I do appreciate the storyline of 6 as well, but I think I actually preferred the typing interface coming from a text adventure background - when they moved to mouse, it actually kind of took away a piece for me.
  • edited February 2011
    KQ4 without a doubt.
  • edited February 2011
    I especially liked the day vs night and zombies coming out around the haunted house. Seriously creeped me out.
  • edited February 2011
    VI, III, and V in that order. I do like I, II, and IV as well, but not as much. #8 is...well, I can't acknowledge that as an genuine King's Quest game.
  • edited February 2011
    What about VII?
  • edited February 2011
    Haven't played it, so I can't honestly judge it.
  • edited February 2011
    King's Quest V. It was the pinnacle of everything a KQ game should be.

My favorite KQ games in order:

1) KQV
    2) KQVII
    3) KQ1SCI
    4) KQIV
    5) KQII
    6) KQVIII
    7) KQVI
    8) KQIII
  • edited February 2011
    I had never thought the question, because I pretty much enjoy the entire series, but today when I posted to other thread I reached the conclusion that KQ4 is my favourite. It has interesting story and puzzles and I can't think any flaws. So therefore it's now officially my favourite.

KQ3 is close second, but personally I find the latter half bit boring compared to the first part where you have to defeat Manannan. Compared to him pirates and dragon are easy tasks.

I also love first two King's Quest games, but as those are mostly just treasure hunts in seemingly random locations, I prefer the ones which have actual story over these two.

KQ5 is fun and epic adventure, but I always enjoyed prior adventures of King Graham more than this one. One of the reasons for that preference could be that IMO Cedric and some of the talking animals were rather annoying. KQ6 has probably best puzzles of the entire series, but Alexander has become rather annoying do-gooder who refuses to open a gate because he isn't invited to the house. I liked him more in KQ3 where he tresspassed into the house of the Three Bears and stole their stuff.

KQ7 is cute and funny adventure, but it's way too easy. Even MoE had more challenging puzzles, but it's problem is that puzzles are too few and far between. I liked MoE's darker atmosphere after KQ7, which was almost too Disney, but just running around and killing monsters isn't how I understand adventuring.
  • edited February 2011
    My list: (I am including AGDI's games--the list would be a little different if it was just the originals.)

1) KQ5
    2) KQ3(Redux)
    3) KQ6
    4) KQ4
    5) KQ2+
    6) KQ1(VGA)
    7) KQ7
    8) KQ8
  • edited February 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    My list: (I am including AGDI's games--the list would be a little different if it was just the originals.)

1) KQ5
    2) KQ3(Redux)
    3) KQ6
    4) KQ4
    5) KQ2+
    6) KQ1(VGA)
    7) KQ7
    8) KQ8

Somehow I get the feeling that a certain VGA KQ fangame that's in development will make it's way into the top 3 of my list favorite KQs :p
  • edited February 2011
    KQ6
    KQ3R
    KQ2+
    KQ7
    KQ1VGA
    KQ4
    KQ5

MoE doesn't count.
  • edited February 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    KQ6
    KQ3R
    KQ2+
    KQ7
    KQ1VGA
    KQ4
    KQ5

MoE doesn't count.

I find it funny that in your list fan games count, but one of the official games doesn't. :D But let's ignore MoE and endless dispute if it's real KQ game or not and get back to your list. Actually what surprised me was that you excluded original Sierra versions of the first three KQ games, aren't those worthy enough to make into the list or even to get special mention like MoE?
  • edited March 2011
    Actually what surprised me was that you excluded original Sierra versions of the first three KQ games

I left the originals out because I was having a hard time figuring out a whole list which included the originals and the remakes in the same list, so I just listed the remakes because I like them better.

Okay, so my list for the originals would be:

KQ6
    KQ7
    KQ4
    KQ3
    KQ5
    KQ1
    KQ2

Since my first post said this:
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    KQ6, KQ3R, KQ2+, KQ7, KQ1VGA, KQ4, KQ5

And I hadn't put IA's KQ3 in there either, If I put them together from both lists and put IA's in, it should say:

KQ6
    KQ3R
    KQ2+
    KQ7
    KQ3 by IA
    KQ1VGA
    KQ4
    KQ5
    KQ1
    KQ2

MoE doesn't get honorable mention because it feels like it belongs to a whole different genre.

Also, KQ5 is hard for me to place. I know it's in my bottom 3, but I'm trying to consider where I would place the floppy version instead of the CD version (as I've played both) since KQ5's animal-voice acting is one of the bigger annoyances for me. But it's been so long since I played KQ5 without voices, it's hard to consider. Would it be lower or higher without voices? I'm not sure.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.