Where in the timeline?

edited September 2011 in Kings Quest Game
Where in the timeline of King's Quest do you think this reboot will/should happen? For me it wouldn't be a KQ game if they started the entire franchise over, where Graham wasn't even king yet, and there was no royal family, etc. A game set, say, between KQIV and KQV, where the royal family was reunited but before Alexander or Rosella went off to rule other kingdoms, would probably be the best place to insert a new game.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Personally, I'd love to see a totally alternate timeline, where we begin the whole series over again as Sir Graham on a quest to become king.

The old timeline holds such a place in so many fans' hearts, I really wouldn't want Telltale to touch it, not even for a sequel. Start a new timeline with the same characters, or make totally standalone stories using the current Royal Family.

Please don't try to shoehorn a sequel onto a timeline that never needed one in the first place. That was TSL's mistake.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm expecting a sequel.
  • edited February 2011
    They did say it was a reboot so it may not exist in the current King's Quest timeline. Though it may not be a full reboot so maybe it's in there somewhere. I guess we won't know until they release some more information.
  • edited February 2011
    It might be interesting to do a sequel where it's a new character charged with doing certain quests for the king or royal family, like Grahams role in KQ1.
  • edited February 2011
    I have no desire to play anyone's story other than Graham's I suppose I would play as one of the kids.
  • edited February 2011
    If there's one thing MOE proved it's that people don't want to play as anyone but a member of the Royal Family in a King's Quest game.
  • edited February 2011
    I want to play as Graham the most, but at this point in the storyline, the guy is getting pretty darn old.
  • edited February 2011
    If there's one thing MOE proved it's that people don't want to play as anyone but a member of the Royal Family in a King's Quest game.
    I liked playing as the main character in that one, too. I am not that purist about it. :)

Besides, it gave a different perspective on Daventry and the KQ world that I appreciated.
  • edited February 2011
    Good for you. I'm just saying that's what the popular opinion is. Myself, I didn't mind it actually. I liked MOE. But I DEFINITELY would rather play as Graham on this reboot. He's so iconic. Someone said elsewhere that he's the Harrison Ford of adventure gaming. He's ageless, always buff, and always ready for adventure.
  • edited February 2011
    Good for you. I'm just saying that's what the popular opinion is. Myself, I didn't mind it actually. I liked MOE. But I DEFINITELY would rather play as Graham on this reboot. He's so iconic. Someone said elsewhere that he's the Harrison Ford of adventure gaming. He's ageless, always buff, and always ready for adventure.

And he has to have the cap with a feather in it, that's as much a part of his character as Indy's fedora.
  • edited February 2011
    And he has to have the cap with a feather in it, that's as much a part of his character as Indy's fedora.

Have you ever seen the cartoon Johnnie Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet from the video Make Mine Music? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lAztMhIWI
  • edited February 2011
    I want to play as Graham the most, but at this point in the storyline, the guy is getting pretty darn old.

That's why it is a reboot.
  • edited February 2011
    I would prefer a new take on how Graham becomes a king.
  • edited February 2011
    tomimt wrote: »
    I would prefer a new take on how Graham becomes a king.

I agree. I would also like to see Graham as more of a quintessential fairytale knight rather than just a knight who looks more like a peasant; something that is different, but iconic to the other to bring in new gamers, yet not to sway away the veteran KQ fans. The peasant look works for the other KQ games, but not KQ 1, imo - unless Graham was in cognito in part 1; I don't recall.
  • edited February 2011
    I hope that it will happen after the previous games. Especially I would like to know what happened to Connor. MOE's ending didn't really tell anything besides that he defeated the bad guy and saved the land. Previous games at least gave some sort of happy endings to Alexander and Rosella.
  • edited February 2011
    I could be fun to see the whole thing start from the beginning, with a bit more bigger Daventry, that is populated a bit more people than just a castle folk and a poor woodcutter with sick wife. Not much of a kingdom that, if you ask me.
  • edited February 2011
    What about the witch who lives in the gingerbread house? What about the giant who lives up in the clouds? What about Rumpelstilskin, the rat and the leprechauns? Don't they count? Who else should live in Daventry? Should there be a small town where you can mingle with people like in King's Quest V?
  • edited February 2011
    tomimt wrote: »
    I could be fun to see the whole thing start from the beginning, with a bit more bigger Daventry, that is populated a bit more people than just a castle folk and a poor woodcutter with sick wife. Not much of a kingdom that, if you ask me.

The area visited in KQ1 isn't the entire Kingdom of Daventry, but only the castle and it's surroundings. In MoE you can visit in a village which is located some distance away from the Castle Daventry. Besides those two games, KQ3 is the only game which shows other parts of Daventry than just the Castle, but it shows same locations as KQ1. So naturally most of Daventry is still unknown to players and open for completely new adventures.
  • edited February 2011
    Or they can follow the Zelda (OoT) route and make a split timeline ;o
    Thus making King's Quest 2b, 3b etc
  • edited September 2011
    Split timeline... No....

That's as bad as the 'split' timeline/AU stuff with Star Trek XI....

Actually its looking like the game will more likely be a sequel than a true reboot. The developers have said it would be a shame to ignore the already developed history out there.
  • edited September 2011
    Perhaps they can explain where he got his hat.
  • edited September 2011
    I'd like to see how Graham came to be known as the "bravest and noblest" Knight in Daventry. That's how he's described in KQ1, before he becomes King, and he obviously earned that reputation somehow. Graham must've done something in King Edward's service before KQ1 that led Edward to put his trust in him to find the treasures, and to feel that Graham was worthy of becoming his successor.

That would be cool.
  • edited September 2011
    I'd like to see how Graham came to be known as the "bravest and noblest" Knight in Daventry. That's how he's described in KQ1, before he becomes King, and he obviously earned that reputation somehow. Graham must've done something in King Edward's service before KQ1 that led Edward to put his trust in him to find the treasures, and to feel that Graham was worthy of becoming his successor.

That would be cool.

Indeed, because I think KQ2 or 5 says that he isn't very strong so he most have gotten that title/name from a certain deed he did.
  • edited September 2011
    In KQ1 and KQ2, it says he isn't very strong or skilled, whenever you attempt to fight the evil monsters.

In KQ5 floppy verson, he randomly isn't strong enough to push the boat into the sea. Thus must use a magic strength spell (copy protection).

I have a feeling it has more to do with Graham's wisdom.
  • edited September 2011
    Noblest and bravest doesn't mean strongest.
  • edited September 2011
    The KQC if I remember correctly says Graham prefers using his brain to solve problems than his fists. But he was a Knight after all, so he must've been involved in combat at some point in his youth.

I'd say he's like Zorro. One rule about Zorro is while he gets into sword fights, he never directly kills anyone. If they die, it's usually their own fault somehow while fighting him. But he's not a killer directly. But that doesn't make Zorro weak--just a sly hero. Which I tend to think Graham is. He'll ensare villains in their own traps rather than stab them in the gut with a sword.

I think Graham, as we see in KQ1 and 2, can and will kill if he HAS to..But it's never usually in a traditionally violent way. He doesn't just take out a sword and lop off heads.

He pushes the Witch into her own cooking pot--An ironic and poetically just end, especially in the SCI remake where you see she's made gingerbread people out of innocent little children.

He gives the brass bottle to the Witch in KQ5--Probably not knowing what would happen. The only time I recall him being outrightly violent is when he stabs Dracula in the heart, turning him to nothing but ashes.

He puts out Mordack with rain water when Mordack turns himself into fire--Again, kind of poetic. Water (Giver of Life) defeats Fire (Destroyer of Life).

And I really, really doubt that Graham is weak. Look at his muscles in KQ5 alone--the man is built like a beast. I think KQ1 saying he was too weak to fight the monsters was more of a technical/budget limitation than anything else.
  • edited September 2011
    Stabbing Dracula in the heart with a stake is the traditional violent method for killing vampires. Trying to fight them when they are awake is generally suicide...

If you play apple 2 version Dracula dies in an extra violent sounding way, giving out a horrible scream!
    efeats Fire (Destroyer of Life)
    Depends on what legends you go with. Fire can often represent life. In reality fire is needed to allow some plants such as the redwoods to sprout and grow anew. The cones require heat to seed!

Likewise, water can be a destroyer of life... Water can cause people to drown, it is highly destructive, causes floods, etc.

But fire and water are usually the contrasting elements, in the myths.

IIRC, KQ7 has elements of the 'fire = life'/water=life" motif though. The sun's fire and water both shared on the same god!
    And I really, really doubt that Graham is weak. Look at his muscles in KQ5 alone--the man is built like a beast. I think KQ1 saying he was too weak to fight the monsters was more of a technical/budget limitation than anything else.

It's also storyline based. Consider in KQ5, Graham can also be 'too weak' to move the boat, thus requiring a magic spell! It also says he isn't strong enough to defeat the witch in KQ5 as well (try defeating the witch through other methods/hand, etc). She is too well protected either by magic, or the fact she isn't entirely human! The same is said if you try to do anything with the Yeti as well, "graham is too weak to fight it"... I believe it also says something similar if you attempt to 'attack' the bandits, wolves, harpies, the blue beast, dink, or Mordack as well. Thus in each of these cases Graham had to find alternative method using his brain to overcome the monsters!

"having strength" though doesn't mean you are skilled or strong enough to fight an ogre considering that an Ogre is stronger than a human, with much larger muscles (exactly as the game describes, "ogres are practically indestructible"(KQ1AGI)). Wolves are tough for even the strongest fighters to fight, because they can latch on and don't let go, and have high agility (again something the game describes). If you lose enough blood, you die. The sorcerer has the magic spell protecting it, as does the leprechauns (again preventing Graham from being able to defeat them, and force them out of Daventry). Even the game suggests that the witch is much stronger than she looks, Graham was only able to defeat her, since he caught her off balance! Trolls are generally stronger than humans as well! There is even a reasonable explanation for the dwarf as well, IIRC. "He is too quick for Graham to catch!" (KQ1AGI)

The game reinforces these traits of the monsters if you somehow get caught by them, leading to the various death scenes, paralysis, or being robbed. The only way to avoid many of these attacks is to have the magic shield or fairy spell.

BTW, the KQC also discusses these physical traits of the various races!

Interesting enough the novel Kingdom of Sorrow also suggests that Graham isn't the most skilled as far as sword fighting, and isn't that strong. But that he makes up for it in wisdom.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.