"I don't get it!"

edited March 2007 in Sam & Max
In my on-going search or Easter Eggs in Episode 4, I sumbled upon a joke I didn't get. I looked it up as best I could, and still can't find why it's suppose to be in the game.

Here's the joke I'm talking about:
When you are changing the date on the Presidential Calender, change it to Earth Day. After Sam describes what the holiday, Max says "People of Berkly, California: Keep up the good work!"

I have to admit, I laughed the first time, but didn't get it as immediately as the
Apollo 13 Snowglobe
joke. Even now, I don't get it. Can someone explain this to me?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Well, I found this piece of information:
    Berkeley has a reputation for our environmentally conscious citizenry.
    On Must be an American/Californian thing.
  • edited March 2007
    It's because that college is the land of the hippies. I hear if you even mention the word Republican or eat a hamburger on campus you are accosted.

Plus, it's located close to TTG headquarters, so it could also be a jab at their neighbors.

Also funny that they chose that college as we are coming up on the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love.
  • edited March 2007
    Actually, Berkeley is more of a culture reference known in America. The reason being is that a lot of civil rights demostrations and other liberal events (for ex. the naked Berkeley guy) happened in UC Berkeley during the 60's. Berkeley was known at the time for the whole Hippie movement.

True, they Telltale could have used Santa Cruz, instead. however, that college, nationwide, isn't known as a liberal hippie college like Berkeley.

Berkeley is the most liberal town in California. Lastly, all universities, or at least in california celebrates earth day, which is like hippie day.

I actually forgot of stopping by at berkeley every friday since I take a bus that takes me from the college I go to, to Berkeley; I live near Berkeley and go home every weekend.

As for the Apollo 13 reference is that the space exploded. So Sam saying that he doesn't want to shake it since something bad may happen means that if he shakes it, the rocket in the snowglobe may explode.
  • edited March 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    As for the Apollo 13 reference is that the space exploded. So Sam saying that he doesn't want to shake it since something bad may happen means that if he shakes it, the rocket in the snowglobe may explode.

I got that joke, but that's not what happened. You're thinking about
    Challenger

Thanks to everyone who explained to me the joke I was questioning! So far, that's the only joke in the series I honestly didn't understand.
  • edited March 2007
    Plus, Berkley smells funny... so it is always good to make fun of it.
  • edited March 2007
    In regards to the Apollo 13 thing, I think the current explanation is probably correct (regarding the "Houston, we have a problem" incident), but another possibility might refer to the strange sparkling "constellations" astronauts had frequently observed in the immediate vicinity of their spacecraft...which were later determined to be jettisoned liquid waste. (The astronauts christened the phenomenon "The Constellation Urion".) This effect might be replicated by a snowglobe of the spacecraft.
  • edited March 2007
    One time, I was in Berkeley and like 10 years old. I was walking down Telegraph Ave., one of the craziest streets in the country, when I was traumatized by seeing this guy who had chained himself to a street lamp and was explaining to passerbys how he planned on sawing himself out. And I've been afraid of Berkeley ever since. How sad that my girlfriend lives there...
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    They have an awesome reptile shop there though!
  • edited March 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    So far, that's the only joke in the series I honestly didn't understand.

I'm sure there are plenty of jokes and references in the games that I don't even realise are jokes. They just fly right by to tickle somebody elses fancy.
  • edited March 2007
    Both Jake and I went to UC Santa Cruz, by the way :)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Hippies!

Not as much as you would be if you'd gone to UC Berkeley, but still. :p
  • edited March 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    They have an awesome reptile shop there though!

I have been there once Great place!!
  • edited March 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Hippies!

Not as much as you would be if you'd gone to UC Berkeley, but still. :p

LOL

So if you go to Santa Cruz or Berkeley, you are a hippie

If ya go to Davis, you are a farmer; did I ever mention how in my plant bio class, the students had to farm? Good times.

If one goes to Sf or any other colleges in big areas, what would they be referred to?

P.S. Does the evening looks as though the undead came out of their graves? i remember when Berkeley had the rocky horror show put on every day, ppl in goth attire would be all over on Univ. ave.
  • DanHDanH Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    LOL

So if you go to Santa Cruz or Berkeley, you are a hippie

Yep, pretty much.
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    Is that why he was put in the broom closet?
  • edited March 2007

If ya go to Davis, you are a farmer; did I ever mention how in my plant bio class, the students had to farm? Good times.

Farms are just a lie fabricated by the government.
  • edited March 2007
    Then why is my state riddled with them?
  • edited March 2007
    Obviously, your state is also a lie concocted by the government. Q.E.D.
  • edited March 2007
    So Tennessee doesn't exisit? Then explain NASCAR and country music!
  • edited March 2007
    I can't. They're inexplicable.

Inexplicably dumb, IMO.
  • edited March 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    I can't. They're inexplicable.

Inexplicably dumb, IMO.

This is exactly what I was thinking... although I think it would have had a better effect with just the "I can't. They're inexplicable."
  • edited March 2007
    By the way, why are the cars in front of the office going from right to left, when the "One Way"-sign clearly points into the other direction... a city full of dyslexics?
  • edited March 2007
    I was in Berkeley today and I was reminded of this thread. Here's what I saw:

berkeley.jpg
  • edited March 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Both Jake and I went to UC Santa Cruz, by the way :)
    Telltale's infested with hippies, figures.

I'm more of a right wing nut job myself.:p
  • edited March 2007
    NatsFan wrote: »
    Telltale's infested with hippies, figures.

I'm more of a right wing nut job myself.:p

Well, it's centered in Marin, in the San Francisco Bay Area, in California...what would you expect?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.