Best Cliffhanger in ToMI

I know that Hayden did this on the World of Monkey Island forums, but I just have to share it with you.

If there was one thing that was extremely memorable about Tales of Monkey Island, it was the cliffhangers. Each episode finished with what was basically a cliffhanger - each one leaving the audience with unanswered questions, each one cutting off the episode just when you were eager to see what would happen next, and each one making us all eager for the following episode.
At the end of "...Narwhal" we saw Guybrush confronted by an unknown woman (Morgan LeFlay) wishing to kill him for some unknown reason, at the end of "Siege..." we saw Guybrush, Winslow and Morgan swallowed by a terrifying beastie, at the end of "...Leviathan" we saw Morgan double-cross Guybrush and take him into captivity, at the end of "Trial and Execution..." we saw Guybrush die and LeChuck & Elaine clash swords, and at the end of "...Pirate God" (after the credits) we find that Morgan was somehow connected with the Voodoo Lady throughout the whole course of events that took place, and that she is about to set out on another quest for the Voodoo Lady; this cliffhanger not having a conclusion yet.

So - simple question - 5 great cliffhangers, which was your favourite?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    It's nice to see this thread in more than one place; I'm interested in seeing what other people think.

For me it's hard to decide between Episode 1 and Episode 4. Both were great for very different reasons. Episode 1 ended at a completely unexpected moment, and it left us players with one single question that needed answering - "who is that woman". Whereas Episode 4 ended at an appropriate moment, and left us with a ton of larger questions which needed answering.

But, for effectiveness, I would have to say Episode 1 had the better cliffhanger. It may not have been the best ending, but it basically defined what a cliffhanger is.
  • edited February 2011
    Chapter 1 for me. That was the most interrogative.
  • edited February 2011
    Episode 4, no doubt about that. :)
    Most emotions, and kept me up all night and started my computer at 5 before going to work, just to find out what happened after and if Guybrush was ok.
  • edited February 2011
    Manateeee!!! Heck, that one was my favorite...
  • edited February 2011
    For me, that end part of Chapter 4 had us racing for the Kleenex, and turning on the waterworks a bit.
    That death scene is kind of reminiscent of Li Mu-bai's death scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
    At least it made us glad that Earl Boen had returned as the "Demon" LeChuck, but still,
    watching the human LeChuck impale Guybrush and leave him to die in the arms of his wife Elaine while LeChuck regains his voodoo powers makes us feel as though we'd been stabbed in our hearts with the Cutlass of Kaflu ourselves. :( And yet, we're a bit unaware that we would gain control of Guybrush again in Chapter 5, as a ghost in the Crossroads this time. :D
  • edited February 2011
    Episode 4 had probably the best emotional cliffhanger, but I'm actually going to say the 'MANATEEEEEEE!' cliffhanger in chapter 2. It was so out of nowhere that I just about died laughing at my computer.
  • edited February 2011
    I voted for Chapter 1, even if only for all the expectation and guessing on the forums (Who is she? Is she Cate Capsize? Is Carla the Swordmaster?...)
  • edited February 2011
    mgrant wrote: »
    Episode 4 had probably the best emotional cliffhanger, but I'm actually going to say the 'MANATEEEEEEE!' cliffhanger in chapter 3. It was so out of nowhere that I just about died laughing at my computer.

Actually, the "MANATEEEEEE!!!" cliffhanger occurs at the end of Chapter 2 and repeats at the beginning of Chapter 3.
  • edited February 2011
    Crap, I thought I put in Chapter 2, way for me to make a typing fail. Thanks for catching that.
  • edited February 2011
    I not only find chapter 3 to have the worst end/cliffhanger, but also chapter 4 to have the worst beginning...
  • edited February 2011
    episode 4 as the best no doubt
    Episode one was ok but expected a pirate hunter would attack
    Episode two was random and to me was second place
    Episode three sucked and was expected
    Episode five, we might as well forget, Lucasarts are not going to make let telltale make another game.

Episode four though. Telltale made it so OBVIOUS that Guybrush would die in this episode, and they STILL made it surprising. Same goes with Lechuck, so OBVIOUS he was evil, and I was still shocked to see him turn on Guybrush.
    When something so obvious was going to happen, and it still was SHOCKING, THAT is good storytelling.
  • edited February 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    episode 4 as the best no doubt
    Episode one was ok but expected a pirate hunter would attack
    Episode two was random and to me was second place
    Episode three sucked and was expected
    Episode five, we might as well forget, Lucasarts are not going to make let telltale make another game.

Episode four though. Telltale made it so OBVIOUS that Guybrush would die in this episode, and they STILL made it surprising. Same goes with Lechuck, so OBVIOUS he was evil, and I was still shocked to see him turn on Guybrush.
    When something so obvious was going to happen, and it still was SHOCKING, THAT is good storytelling.

You're forgetting that there is also a resurrection story in Chapter 5, you know,
    and it has something to do with Guybrush.
  • edited February 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    You're forgetting that there is also a resurrection story in Chapter 5, you know,

What?
  • edited February 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »

Was Pirate God set 3 days after Trial?
  • edited February 2011
    I think it was implied to be a couple months or so...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.